• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first AR build

This is the start of my first AR build. I picked up two Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped lowers on Black Friday. They were only $59 each. I am going to build one and just keep the other in the safe for now. I just finished color filling one. Now I'm just waiting for a delivery from Palmetto State Armory and Brownells. [smile]

I purchased a complete 16" carbine upper from PSA on black friday for $359. They are leaving off the flash hider so that I can pin/weld on my Rainier Arms RMC comp. I'll also be cutting off the bayo lug and Cerakoting the front sight in flat dark earth. It will be getting a complete set of Magpul MOE furniture in flat dark earth. I'm going to try this DIY trigger job on it first http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html. If I don't like it then I will probably throw a RRA two stage in it. I plan on cerakoting the safety selector, bolt release and a few preban 20 round mags for it.

Here are the specs for the upper from the PSA website:

Palmetto State Armory 16'' CMV Chrome-lined, MP Inspected, M4 Complete upper

Barrel: 16" 4150 CMV barrel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, chrome lined bore and M4 barrel extension. Barrels are high pressure tested, mag particle inspected and finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post, standard handguards, and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo

Each upper is assembled to order with care, and test fired.

what method did you do the color fill ? I cant seem to get really nice lines. Any tips. I want to do the windage sight marks on my ARs and /garands I also have some lowers to play with.

Where did you get the lowers 59.00 was that total cost ?

I did the 15 minute trigger job on http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm my 1st AR, now have a RRA NM it worked and felt better. Your mod might go along well with this as it reduces travel.

Last edited:
I would stay away from the RRA 2 stage and go with a Geissele S2S. I think they are discontinuing them because they are packaging them with built rifles but they are a great value $125 for a great trigger.

If you're going to pin and weld on your muzzle brake, think about free floating first. It's going to be a hell of time doing it afterwards.

The finish on that lower looks really good, especially for that price, $59 is more like what blems or seconds goes for. Let us know if you have any trouble when you install your LPK. I'm just interested if everything fits in without problems. I always get nervous when you see a very low price lower and wonder if a dimension was off or something.

Nice job on the color fill too.

They are forged lowers. Here is the description from their website:

Surplus Ammo & Arms AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver.

Advanced aerospace manufacturing technology and a highly skilled staff are utilized to produce the industries finest, forged Mil-Spec lowers. Our receivers are machined on a multimillion dollar, automated, cellular manufacturing system which enables us to produce a product of unequaled quality and value.

These true mil-spec forged lowers will accept all standard lower parts kits
Have pictograms for fire control
Quality made using 7075 T6 aluminum (aircraft grade)
Designated "CAL MULTI" to accommodate most builds.
NOTE: These are not pre-ban lowers.

They are forged lowers. Here is the description from their website:

Surplus Ammo & Arms AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver.

Advanced aerospace manufacturing technology and a highly skilled staff are utilized to produce the industries finest, forged Mil-Spec lowers. Our receivers are machined on a multimillion dollar, automated, cellular manufacturing system which enables us to produce a product of unequaled quality and value.

These true mil-spec forged lowers will accept all standard lower parts kits
Have pictograms for fire control
Quality made using 7075 T6 aluminum (aircraft grade)
Designated "CAL MULTI" to accommodate most builds.
NOTE: These are not pre-ban lowers.

I'm impressed, I paid over $100 for a similar forged Stag lower.

Finally finished the build. Here are a few pics and some specs.

Surplus Ammo & arms stripped lower
KNS Gen2 non-rotating pins
Palmetto State Armory MOE lower build kit
Palmetto State Armory 16" hammer forged, chrome lined, mid-length complete upper
White Oak Armament front sight base, post ban, f height
Rainier Arms mini compensator
Magpul rear mbus

I machined an aluminum lock pin to lock the stock in place. This pin replaced the spring loaded pin that came in the Magpul stock. This way the stock is non colapsable. But could be returned to stock if I ever move out of Massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom