• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first ar-15 build

vik328

NES Member
So I'm building my first ar-15 MA compliant.
So far I have

Stag arms stripped lower rec. $130.00
Stag arms. $73.00
Ati buffer tube kit. $50.00
Butt used unknown. $30.00

any suggestiosn on upper and barrels are welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamaqazi/8220331249/

Last edited:
Nice build! I think everyone should have a 16" AR, so maybe go with that unless you want a long range shooter, go with the 20".
I dont know my budget its just gonna take me time to build this im thinking a 16". I wont be able to shoot more that 100 yards often if ever my club has a 100 yard range nothing bigger.

Looks good so far. What are you looking to do with it? What kind of budget?

- - - Updated - - -

what do you guys think of a spikes tactical upper?

Good Start! My first build started off that way, and ended with an off the shelf complete DPMS upper from midway...

FYI, If you haven't already, make sure you pin that stock before you become a criminal. [thumbsup]

Good Start! My first build started off that way, and ended with an off the shelf complete DPMS upper from midway...

FYI, If you haven't already, make sure you pin that stock before you become a criminal. [thumbsup]

Haha yes I plan on doing that I just dont know where I am going to put it. I wait till i put he upper on and get a good feeling for where it should be whole thing together.

Spikes makes good quality parts. Are you buying a complete upper and sticking it on your lower or are you actually building/piecing one together from parts?

Haha yes I plan on doing that I just dont know where I am going to put it. I wait till i put he upper on and get a good feeling for where it should be whole thing together.

I think most people just pin it at the farthest out position. As far as putting the upper on to the lower, as soon as the rifle is capable of firing a round it must be compliant and the 7 day clock to put the FA-10 begins. Legally speaking you might just leave the BCG out until it's pinned or something. [wink]

edit. some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain that is is how it works.

Spikes makes good quality parts. Are you buying a complete upper and sticking it on your lower or are you actually building/piecing one together from parts?

planning on piecing together the upper out of parts found the spiks tactical with ramps for $140

I think most people just pin it at the farthest out position. As far as putting the upper on to the lower, as soon as the rifle is capable of firing a round it must be compliant and the 7 day clock to put the FA-10 begins. Legally speaking you might just leave the BCG out until it's pinned or something. [wink]

edit. some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain that is is how it works.

what is a BCG?? i probobly will just take it off till the rifle is complete. I think your right i will just pin it at the fartheest position.

Bolt Carrier Group.

I would suggest not marrying the upper and lower together until you are ready to file the FA10 and the upper is ban compliant. Easy enough to do, just need to get the paperwork done in time and the bayo lug lopped off and a comp pinned if you buy a threaded barrel with a lug.

Bolt Carrier Group.

I would suggest not marrying the upper and lower together until you are ready to file the FA10 and the upper is ban compliant. Easy enough to do, just need to get the paperwork done in time and the bayo lug lopped off and a comp pinned if you buy a threaded barrel with a lug.
can't I file a fa 10 online? Also about the bayolug I do not have a pre ban lower so obviously I cannot run a bayolug. I know the minimum is a 16 inch barrel if I get a 16 inch threaded barrel do I still have to have the flash suppressor pinned and welded or is that only if I do a 14.5 with flash suppressor?

can't I file a fa 10 online? Also about the bayolug I do not have a pre ban lower so obviously I cannot run a bayolug. I know the minimum is a 16 inch barrel if I get a 16 inch threaded barrel do I still have to have the flash suppressor pinned and welded or is that only if I do a 14.5 with flash suppressor?

Unfortunately you are only allowed a muzzle brake/compensator and not an evil flash hider (thanks MA). That being said, if you have a threaded barrel, it doesn't matter if it's 16" or 26" - you need to have a muzzle device pinned/welded.

You can file your FA-10 online, yes. It's very easy.

Unfortunately you are only allowed a muzzle brake/compensator and not an evil flash hider (thanks MA). That being said, if you have a threaded barrel, it doesn't matter if it's 16" or 26" - you need to have a muzzle device pinned/welded.

You can file your FA-10 online, yes. It's very easy.
I hate MA laws haha.
I have been doign lots of research on barrels and since im mostly only gonna be shooting 100 but would like to shoot farther it looks like a 1:7 or 1:8 16" would be right for me.

Last edited:
Yup, that would be a good choice. I have a 16" on my AR (1:7 twist) and it is a tack driver at 100 yards. Could easy shoot it out to 300+ yards if I wanted with it without worrying about accuracy. I have a YHM Phantom 5C1 muzzle brake pinned on mine - very inexpensive and it does a great job. Plus, YHM is local in western MA.

This is a very informative thread. I have been thinking about building one also. Not right away but in the near future. This makes for good research.

Check out Brownells.com for AR-15 build videos - they have all the bases covered. For specifics on pinning collapsible stocks etc, there are some good videos on YouTube as well. AR15.com has a lot of good information too but can be overwhelming if you don't know all the terminology and whatnot.

This is a very informative thread. I have been thinking about building one also. Not right away but in the near future. This makes for good research.

Definitely get a feel for AR's first, then build one. I was also in your shoes then decided to build one and I can't wait to finish it up. MA laws suck yep, they make it very hard for a shooter to get what they want and they cast you down for the dumbest of reasons. You'll learn to ignore their bullshit ways. [wink]

Any suggestions for an inexpensive yet decent purchase? Around $600-700 would be nice. I was looking at the S&W or Stag for my first. My dad has a preban AR but I wont even try to get that one.

Last edited:
Either S&W or Stag would be a good choice. S&W Sport is going to be the most inexpensive/basic option but it will get the job done and will let you figure out what you ultimately want in the rifle.

That's what I was thinking. Learn a bit about it first before I start building blind. My reason for building is to be able to stretch the cost over time instead, since I don't really have it in the budget to spend upwards of a grand all at once. And get exactly what I want in a rifle.

That's the best part about building - being able to stretch it out as long as you would like, and to get the exact rifle you want when you are done. My first build took probably around a year total, and it has been through various changes before finally settling on its current state. My newest build I just started a little less than a month ago, and it will probably be a few more months before it's finished.

That's the best part about building - being able to stretch it out as long as you would like, and to get the exact rifle you want when you are done. My first build took probably around a year total, and it has been through various changes before finally settling on its current state. My newest build I just started a little less than a month ago, and it will probably be a few more months before it's finished.

So that means all those extra parts calls for more lowers? Or am i just thinking crazyness rofl ;) (my math skills are pretty good hahaha)

Back
Top Bottom