My first 1911

I picked up a 1911 from another member this week. I still have a remsport one I haven't built yet, but I wanted something assembled and working so I can learn about the mechanics before I build my own. And the price was right.

1911-target-Stain-detail-L.jpg

I've shot 1911's before, but it's been over 15 years. I'd forgotten how small/thin they are. I guess years of shooting double-stack pistols has changed my impression of gun size.

The Sig 1911 Target is accurate and has a pretty tightly fit. I got nice groupings with just factory ammo, too. (My partially assembled remsport is tighter, though.) I'm amazed at how many parts there are when field stripping. I guess you get used to that.

The grip is tiny though! I think my fingers wrap around twice. [laugh] I'm not a particularly huge guy, but I guess I have big hands / long fingers. (There's a joke in there somewhere.)

What about you 1911 lovers? What about it makes it one of your favorites? How about those of you with big hands? Have you tried other grips? Anyone shooting a double stack 1911?

I also just got my first 1911 from another member, Colt MkIV Gov't Model. It sure is a change from the striker-fired double stacks that I've owned exclusively up til now.

My only real gripe, though, is that the gun definitely needs a bobbed hammer and beavertail. I was bleeding from round #1 when I shot it after getting it the other day.

I have two Colts: A park'd 1991 Govt and a stainless MkV Combat Commander. The former is my EDC and the sweetest shooter I've wrapped my grubby hands around. The latter is a work in progress and will be my BBQ gun. Both have a nice crisp and short trigger

Oh and Suoermoto this is one badass pistol !
mod%20jpoint%20web.jpg

In my BFS class today, I had one guy who couldn't comfortably grip the Sig 229. He tried the 1911 and loved it. Guess it's good to have in the collection. 45's are fun to shoot too. I'd forgotten.

I have small hands and the 1911s are definitely narrower (given single stack) than the doubles like the Sig p226/220/228. I recently picked up a Delta Elite 10mm and shot the tightest 50 ft. group I have ever done.

IMG_0388.JPG

I also have a S.A. Omega that is also a recent purchase and it shoots nice too. Big and heavy so I can throw it when I am out of ammo.

I picked up my first 1911 a few months back (S&W 1911ES) and love it. Started carrying it instead of my Glock 26 for winter carry and it's been great. Just picked up a G23 w/factory .357SIG barrel so that might become the new daily carry gun. Still love the 1911 though ... 100 years later and it's still a great gun.

I picked up a 1911 from another member this week. I still have a remsport one I haven't built yet, but I wanted something assembled and working so I can learn about the mechanics before I build my own. And the price was right.

1911-target-Stain-detail-L.jpg

I've shot 1911's before, but it's been over 15 years. I'd forgotten how small/thin they are. I guess years of shooting double-stack pistols has changed my impression of gun size.

The Sig 1911 Target is accurate and has a pretty tightly fit. I got nice groupings with just factory ammo, too. (My partially assembled remsport is tighter, though.) I'm amazed at how many parts there are when field stripping. I guess you get used to that.

The grip is tiny though! I think my fingers wrap around twice. [laugh] I'm not a particularly huge guy, but I guess I have big hands / long fingers. (There's a joke in there somewhere.)

What about you 1911 lovers? What about it makes it one of your favorites? How about those of you with big hands? Have you tried other grips? Anyone shooting a double stack 1911?

Nice buy. That 1911 seems to have it all. Larger grips are available (try Brownells) and an arched main spring housing will also make the grip a little bit larger.

Back
Top Bottom