• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My experience with Mansfield.

After looking at the "My experience in Tauton" thread I thought I would make a similar thread for Mansfield so people can see how the process goes.

About 3 weeks ago, I dropped off my LTC application, letter to the chief, and 2 letters of recommendation. About 1 hour later they called to setup an appointment. I went in for the interview and it was quick and painless. Sandy was a very nice woman and maked sure everything is done quick so I could get out of there quickly. The day of the interview, I went in and Sandy fingerprinted me and then took my picture using a webcam. She then went over my application with me to make sure I filled everything out correctly. After that I was on my way. No interview with the chief and I never had to justify to anyone why I wanted this license (except for on the application).

Now I am slowly counting down the day till I get my license in the mail

Last edited:
That's almost exactly my experience in Boylston. I called the Sgt. prior to applying to confirm the dept. web info was correct. He gave the me the rundown, and what he wanted stated in the 2 letters of recommendation. He gave me his schedule, and asked I call to confirm he was available before coming down.

Did it all online, he stated ALP as reason, without discussion or ANY hassle, and told me they would call when it comes in.

2 weeks and waiting....

As I understand it, and IANAL, the procedures and requirements for applying for an LTC are established by the state. The application requires that you list two references, but does not require letters of reference. A municipal police department is actually overstepping it's bounds in requiring the letters. It's you're call if you want to call them out on it, though.

the procedures and requirements for applying for an LTC are established by the state.

and letters of reference are not in those requirements.

But just like the law says you must get your LTC within 40 days of your app, some PD's don't seem to worry about the laws.

I don't have the cite, but the law says pretty much:

fill out the app - the one supplied by the state..not one the PD makes, as some have their own customized ones.

show them your training cert

give them your money

and get you license within 40 days.

That's all they're legally able to do.

Of course then there's suitability.................

The app was done online, using the state's system. Technically, he asked for name, address and phone for two references, but I imagine the lack of the letters would have put me in front of the chief's desk, wanting to know why I was unable to get two people in town to stick up for me. I imagine they use the letters to determine suitability. If you can get two people in town to say you're OK to own a gun, then you must be OK to own a gun.

Of course in a town of 4500, telling two people you are buying guns makes it only a matter of time before the other 4498 know about it, too...

So, I would say it is his tool he uses to determine suitability.

After looking at the "My experience in Tauton" thread I thought I would make a similar thread for Mansfield so people can see how the process goes.

About 3 weeks ago, I dropped off my LTC application, letter to the chief, and 2 letters of recommendation. About 1 hour later they called to setup an appointment. I went in for the interview and it was quick and painless. Sandy was a very nice woman and maked sure everything is done quick so I could get out of there quickly. The day of the interview, I went in and Sandy fingerprinted me and then took my picture using a webcam. She then went over my application with me to make sure I filled everything out correctly. After that I was on my way. No interview with the chief and I never had to justify to anyone why I wanted this license (except for on the application).

Now I am slowly counting down the day till I get my license in the mail

What are the limitations on the letters of recommendation? Like do they have to be from someone in town? Can they be from a relative?

My fiancee wants to apply and I was considering writing a rec for her, but when I called the PD to ask if that was kosher, I was told the person who had that answer was not in......

I went with two folks I knew in town, one of whom was an LTC holder. My wife used references from work, neither of which were in the same town. I guess the unspoken rule is they both have to be from MA, but no one stated this to me, either.

What are the limitations on the letters of recommendation? Like do they have to be from someone in town? Can they be from a relative?

My fiancee wants to apply and I was considering writing a rec for her, but when I called the PD to ask if that was kosher, I was told the person who had that answer was not in......

they told me it could be from anyone that was not a relative. i just used my 2 neighbors

...And then, we have the poor sap in Worcester whose letters have to be on Company letterhead. WTF?

gotta love the consistency.

Or my town where they don't even ask for names for references... forget letters ...not even a name.

I was asked why and was told that it was very unlikely I was going to give them the name of a person who would give me a bad recommendation, so references are useless.

Back
Top Bottom