• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My dilemma - need your help

So let me explain!!!

I'm getting a Beretta CX4 9mm for range fun and HD (small apartment in Boston) - have wanted a 9mm carbine forever.

I would also like: (Note: It has to be MA compliant, and I like to buy new - price not the biggest issue).

1. One full sized handgun in 9mm (92FS, Sig 226 / 229, P30, M&P9)
  2. One sub compact in 308 or 9 (Sig 238, S&W Bodyguard, M&P Shield, Ruger LCR)

My ideal would be two autos with the same controls, i.e. safety if there is one, moving in the same direction, similar positioning on both the full-size and sub-compact etc.. for muscle memory

Initial thoughts, in my current order of consideration:

1. 92FS would be good as it shares the same mags as the CX4, and easy to get pre-ban mags, downside is there is no sub compact of the same controls, with this option maybe the LCR would be good (this little revolver does appeal)
  2. The P30 looks great, but what would be a sub-compact to go with it? LCR again or maybe a S&W?
  3. The P266/229 again looks great, but the P238 has 1911 controls which are not my preference, so which sub-compact matches?
  4. I could go all out S&W with the M&P9 / Shield and the bodyguard, S&W don't seem to fit me as well as the Sigs though.

I guess I'm just indecisive right now, looking for ideas! Thanks for reading.

I would also recommend a Ruger SR9, either full size or compact. Super reliable, good price(although you indicated price wasn't much of an issue)

Since you've already committed to the CX4 storm, it just makes sense to get a 92FS.

This...It makes the most sense "tactically." I am a big fan of overlapping magazines and calibers.

Like the emotional liberal responding to a well though out logic filled argument,

"BUT..."

I love the Sig P226. So I may sway my vote that way. I haven't tried the 92fs, but I did shoot someones Beretta once, and didn't really like it. Not sure of the model, it may have been a 92fs? I am looking at a S&W M&P9c right now. I really want a Glock 26, but it is proving to be more trouble than it is worth. Since the P239 doesn't accept the 226 mags, and is really only a shade smaller, going with a compact that takes different mags than my full size is probably the way I am going to go. In a perfect world I would get a P224. It is a compact that accepts the full size mags. Carry with the small mag, but have your spare be a full size. I figure by the time you are pulling out a spare you are no longer worried about concealing. I don't know, sometimes I just overthink the crap out of stuff. Being a subject in MA makes these decisions even more difficult.

You can also get a sub 2000 that takes beretta mags or better yet, get a glock and a sub2000 that does glock mags.

30 rd preban mags exist for glocks and the sub 2000 is way. CHeaper than the cx4.

There is a compact beretta 92 but theyre kind of rare here.

This...It makes the most sense "tactically." I am a big fan of overlapping magazines and calibers.

Like the emotional liberal responding to a well though out logic filled argument,

"BUT..."

I love the Sig P226. So I may sway my vote that way. I haven't tried the 92fs, but I did shoot someones Beretta once, and didn't really like it. Not sure of the model, it may have been a 92fs? I am looking at a S&W M&P9c right now. I really want a Glock 26, but it is proving to be more trouble than it is worth. Since the P239 doesn't accept the 226 mags, and is really only a shade smaller, going with a compact that takes different mags than my full size is probably the way I am going to go. In a perfect world I would get a P224. It is a compact that accepts the full size mags. Carry with the small mag, but have your spare be a full size. I figure by the time you are pulling out a spare you are no longer worried about concealing. I don't know, sometimes I just overthink the crap out of stuff. Being a subject in MA makes these decisions even more difficult.

Lol - we clearly think in the same kind of way, hence my dilemma. I think I've solved it, then run across the MA restrictions. I don't mind so much the sub-compact having different mags, which sub-compact would you recommend to go with the P226 (which I also really like) i.e. similar control characteristics?

Lol - we clearly think in the same kind of way, hence my dilemma. I think I've solved it, then run across the MA restrictions. I don't mind so much the sub-compact having different mags, which sub-compact would you recommend to go with the P226 (which I also really like) i.e. similar control characteristics?

I am going to look at the M&P compact. I havent handled one yet, but a buddy of mine suggested it as an alternative to Glock 26.

I wouldnt suggest going any smaler than 9mm, personal pref. havent handled Smith yet, so no word on controls.

Last edited:
If you are for sure getting the Storm, I would get the 92fs. The subcompact in either 380 or 9mm will most likely have different mags and little interchange with a full size regardless of the make you get. Maybe unless you go the Glock route, but those are chubby sub compacts and the hassle of getting what you want in MA. Just Right Carbine is also available with Glock mags and is more similar to and AR in controls etc.

Since the OP lives in Boston, aren't even pre-ban normal capacity mags verboten?

See Below in bold. Only refers to rifles and shotguns in the city ban.

AN ACT RELATIVE TO ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE CITY OF BOSTON

Be it enacted, etc., as follows:

SECTION 1. For the purposes of this act the following words shall have the following meanings:-

(1) "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

Boston Assualt Weapons Ban Information.

Strike that... what about this?

SECTION 2.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt.

Last edited:
I had a CX4 Storm and a 92fs; kept the Storm, sold the 92. The 92 is a large, heavy pistol and I could never achieve decent accuracy with it. The CX4 is accurate and fun and easy to shoot. I've have one set up with a light and laser as a home defense weapon for my daughter.
My most frequent carry gun is a Ruger LCR revolver in 38 spl+p but I also have a 9mm Walther PPS for this purpose.
In terms of full-size semi-autos, there are many excellent choices. I have an XD9 and a Sig P229 and a CZ SP101 (the CZ is not really full size but a compact). The one I find myself most often taking to the range is my CZ.
And you know what they say when asked about how many guns you own: "More than I need, but not as many as I want."

Please see my amended response... I beg for additional clarification regarding section 2.

In section 2 sub 3 under definitions:

(3) "Large capacity ammunition belt", a belt or strip which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into

a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun

or an ammunition belt which can be readily converted into a large capacity ammunition belt.

Hmm. I guess my only question would be if you take a pre-ban "pistol" magazine and put it into a rifle, could the city of Boston successfully argue that it is a rifle magazine and thus covered under their ban?

Gawd. I hate Boston. And MA.

Hmm. I guess my only question would be if you take a pre-ban "pistol" magazine and put it into a rifle, could the city of Boston successfully argue that it is a rifle magazine and thus covered under their ban?

Gawd. I hate Boston. And MA.

Just dont do that [wink]

Anything can be argued. If I am not mistaken, in the arguments I have read in other threads, this ban is unenforcable, with the exception of suitability.

In that case, anything that is kinda like an aw in boston even not covered under their aw ban could piss them off and they yank your ltc just because they can.

Thats Boston and thats MA.

Just dont do that [wink]

Anything can be argued. If I am not mistaken, in the arguments I have read in other threads, this ban is unenforcable, with the exception of suitability.

In that case, anything that is kinda like an aw in boston even not covered under their aw ban could piss them off and they yank your ltc just because they can.

Thats Boston and thats MA.

Maybe I'll stick with 10 round mags for both the 92FS and the CX4 lol.

In that case, anything that is kinda like an aw in boston even not covered under their aw ban could piss them off and they yank your ltc just because they can. Thats Boston and thats MA.

Buy a bunch of pre-ban standard capacity magazines, keep one in the 92FS, store the rest in a box marked "Pistol magazines" until TSHTF. If you want to chicken out, find a friend just outside the Boston city limits to hold onto the box for you.

Do you guys realize that you are funding the enemy by staying there and paying taxes to tyrants?

Just my 2 cents I carry a Sig p238 380 and a sig p229 in 40. Capacity it 8 with an extra 6 round mag for the 238 and 11 with another 10 rounder for my 229 (since im in MA 10 is all i can get basically). I will say i love them bith theyre extremely reliable i have about 1000 rounds through the 238 and got the 229 with 100 rounds through it and have put about 400 more since. I get what youre saying about having the same battery of arms and i agree that is the best idea even if that's not what i do myself currently. The p224 isnt available/approved in MA as far as I know yet but if it was I'd get one to replace my p238 for ankle or coat or iwb carry when im only carrying one pistol and want it to be print free. Id still stick with my p238 for pocket carry though. If you do get a sig id say the 229 and 224 are a good pair if you can get them both.

Buy a bunch of pre-ban standard capacity magazines, keep one in the 92FS, store the rest in a box marked "Pistol magazines" until TSHTF. If you want to chicken out, find a friend just outside the Boston city limits to hold onto the box for you.

Anyone in Boston when SHTF might as well bend over and kiss their ass goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom