My daughter's first time behind the wheel...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My daughter is preparing to take the written exam for her learner's permit. My wife insisted that I let her get behind the wheel in an empty lot so she can see what it's like. Well, today was the day. I wanted to make it as easy and stress free for her as possible so we went to her school's parking lot. The school has a huge lot and it was completely empty. What could possibly go wrong? [thinking]

I am not really sure what happened. One second we were going around the curve at about 3 miles per hour and the next thing I know we were crashing into the sign. This happened so quickly I didn't even have the time to pull the emergency break until were inches away from the sign. My daughter was very upset but I on the other hand couldn't stop laughing. I wasn't laughing at her but the situation. I told her this really wasn't a big deal and that things can only get better from this point. [wink] We reviewed the incident and she said that she turned the wheel too much and tried to stop but possibly stepped on the gas pedal instead of the break.

The school's vice-principal lives on our street so after we got home we went over to let him know what had happened. The school has a crap load of video cameras everywhere so I am sure the incident was recorded from several angles. I figured we would come clean and pay to have the sign repaired if need be.

So, how is your Sunday going? [smile]

Last edited:

ColdDayInHell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I LOLed pretty hard at the pic but I felt bad after, sorry for the damage and your daughter's nerves. I don't have any kids but after all is said and done that picture would be on the fridge [rofl]

Good luck to her after this, accidents (even trivial ones) serve a purpose.

What is that a Pontiac G6/G8? That too the damage pretty well.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
When I first taught my son, I found that he didn't quite get how much you had to turn the wheel to make a sharp turn. I think it is the video-game mentality, they think you can turn the wheel a little bit and it will keep turning, like it's an arrow-key or something. We had some close calls similar to your daughter's.

I think it's good to get that first accident out of the way early. She'll do great from now on.

My third one turns 16 in a couple of weeks. They will be 16, 17, and 18. You can imagine how high my insurance is.

ColdDayInHell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When I first taught my son, I found that he didn't quite get how much you had to turn the wheel to make a sharp turn. I think it is the video-game mentality, they think you can turn the wheel a little bit and it will keep turning, like it's an arrow-key or something. We had some close calls similar to your daughter's.

I think it's good to get that first accident out of the way early. She'll do great from now on.

My third one turns 16 in a couple of weeks. They will be 16, 17, and 18. You can imagine how high my insurance is.
[laugh]

My Frontier is pretty easy, but my mom's '13 Charger R/T is ridiculously easy. You can use your pinky to drive it. Some cars yeah are hard to turn. I'm no mechanic so I don't know why it is...

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have one driving an another getting his permit this fall so I feel for you.

I think you handled it great - I think if I did that growing up my dad would've kept me from driving until I left the house.

My oldest when learning to drive would get nervous enough of oncoming traffic that he would drive way onto the shoulder and tree branches would be smacking the side.
- after a week the scratches looked like some giant sabertooth has clawed the side ;).

- - - Updated - - -

Wowza! It took a long time for heart rate to go down after seeing the bill for just my one son...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel your pain. I took my daughter out Friday. She didn't hit anything, but the first thing i did when i got back home is pour a tall glass of bourbon.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can we possibly maybe kinda ask the school for a video to post here lol.....glade to hear that it wasnt worse. .

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Glad the only thing hurt was your wallet.

I'd suggest getting her on a quad, it gave my daughter a real feel for turning, braking, etc.

That and her running my truck up and down the driveway at our place in NH.

And +1 on you for the non-over-reaction

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I went for a drive with my sister the day after she got a permit. She blew through a chain link fence and hung the center of my moms new MDX up on a stone wall. I have pics/vids somewhere. It was pretty hilarious. My mom was NOT pleased.

Mike

ntomsw

Banned
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
How the hell do you crash in to a sign in a empty parking lot the sign is up on the grass
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. [laugh]

You would think there would be more than enough time to pull the e-brake or something.

That's why women just shouldn't drive. Sammiches and laundry is what they should be doing.

ColdDayInHell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. [laugh]

You would think there would be more than enough time to pull the e-brake or something.

That's why women just shouldn't drive. Sammiches and laundry is what they should be doing.
Hey your daughters are young, be nice. LOL.

Do what my parents did. Buy them a Jeep or some battery car. I had mine when I was 2. I haven't been at fault for any accident and could do a 3 point turn at 3 years old...

Waits for Ben to One Up me. [rofl]

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Back when I was first learning to drive many decades ago - my dad wanted me to park the car in the garage as a learning experience.

Having only learned to use a clutch a few days before, I popped it and promptly hit the center post of the garage knocking it back a foot or so.

Thought I heard every swear word known to man by that time in my life - evidently not ;)

ntomsw

Banned
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Hey your daughters are young, be nice. LOL.
I think MOST men are better drivers than women.

I was driving a stick at about 10 years old around my driveway. And, my daughters can drive when they move out of my house. I'm not dealing with that. Ain't gots no time fo that!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess things are different today. My parents were letting me sit in their lap when I was 10-11 years old driving around the neighborhood. By 12 I was driving in the seat alone in remote areas. Learned on a standard in a 1st gen Supra.

Top Bottom