My Critter-Gitter .45acp Load

My .45acp Critter-Gitter load, 51 rounds:

crittergetter2.jpg

crittergetter3.jpg

crittergetter1.jpg

... and cleaned the 1911 yesterday, detail strip.

The load is a nominal 5.2 grains of W231 under a my soft-cast (almost pure lead, with just enough tin to let it flow but not frost at high heat) flat nose, truncated cone 230 grain nominal, 235 to 240 grain actual (due to the alloy used).

Be aware that this MAX according to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook but pressure is listed as about 3kpsi under standard .45acp. Start low at about 4.2 grains and work up to 5.2 MAX.

This load is the longest I could take it with this bullet and still have it function in the magazines. This usually means 1.275COL for round nose but, in this case using truncated cone, it maxed out at an even 1.25COL.

Lube was homemade. Don't remember the particular blend I had on these boolits. Something like beeswax, LLA, lanolin and Militec-1. May have some paraffin in there. Something fancy that I'll not be doing again. Next will be beeswax/Crisco/lanolin or something simple like that!

Josh

Hello,

It's a Lyman Turret. Not one of the new ones, but the old orange one.

It was given to me years back by someone who wanted to see me get into handloading. I've just seen no reason to upgrade!

Josh

I load on the 550b that is great that you got the Lyman given to you.
Looks like you do a good job with it, you should give us a range report on the loads when you get a chance.

Tell me a little about your 1911 as well if you don't mind me asking. It has some miles on it which I appreciate right off the bat.

Tell me a little about your 1911 as well if you don't mind me asking. It has some miles on it which I appreciate right off the bat.

Well Sir,

When I bought it I'd been carrying a GOOD Taurus PT92 for about ten years. It was a base-model RIA "GI" style.

I didn't like the way it bit me, so I cut it for a beavertail. Ended up trying several before I settled on the Brown.

Got to digging around at a now-closed gunshop and found that MSH. I peened it so it fitted tightly and slid it in.

I went through almost every ambi thumb safety before coming on this Capsian. This thing is indestructible. I'm a lefty and, since I carry the 1911 for self-defense, I tried to break the ambi safeties. That Caspian wouldn't break. I did not try a Brown or a Wilson Bulletproof. I'd given up on liking the style that had a leg going under the right grip panel, and I wanted a wider paddle than Wilson was offering. In fact, I am still waiting for them to get the wide paddle out on their Bulletproof line.

I broke the others. What can I say? I do hate to think of how much I spent on experimentation, though! If you Google my name and "ambi-safety rundown" you'll find my report on each safety as I tested it, made into a single thread and posted on several forums.

The MIM was taken out and trashed, and replaced with forged. All of it, dangit. I trust MIM, but too many places haven't mastered doing it properly so I don't trust the procedure!

I like the small sights. I mostly point shoot and hit what I'm aiming at, which around here are mostly raccoons and other critters like that. If I need the sights I want them to be as precise as possible, and that means small. I have had a couple hairy situations that proved to me that I do not lose front sight focus when my adrenaline is going, so I don't feel handicapped at all. Time dilation and auditory exclusion kick in with me, but nothing on the vision blurring out.

The firing pin retaining plate is the squared-off bottom type to help retard the slide, the trigger is a Greider Precision if I recall correctly, and the hold is so high that if I go any further north the cuts will go into the thumb safety pin. I undercut the trigger guard and almost broke through, but managed to not!

I have some random pics I may post later. I'm only seeing one of three pics I posted initially, so that means that Photobucket isn't acting right. I'll look into that and get some more for you up later.

Specific questions are welcome.

Regards,

Josh

Even though 1.275 is listed as the max OAL in many reloading manuals, bullets loaded to this length will not function in many 1911s. 1.250 is a much more reliable OAL in most pistols.

Well Sir,

When I bought it I'd been carrying a GOOD Taurus PT92 for about ten years. It was a base-model RIA "GI" style.

I didn't like the way it bit me, so I cut it for a beavertail. Ended up trying several before I settled on the Brown.

Got to digging around at a now-closed gunshop and found that MSH. I peened it so it fitted tightly and slid it in.

I went through almost every ambi thumb safety before coming on this Capsian. This thing is indestructible. I'm a lefty and, since I carry the 1911 for self-defense, I tried to break the ambi safeties. That Caspian wouldn't break. I did not try a Brown or a Wilson Bulletproof. I'd given up on liking the style that had a leg going under the right grip panel, and I wanted a wider paddle than Wilson was offering. In fact, I am still waiting for them to get the wide paddle out on their Bulletproof line.

I broke the others. What can I say? I do hate to think of how much I spent on experimentation, though! If you Google my name and "ambi-safety rundown" you'll find my report on each safety as I tested it, made into a single thread and posted on several forums.

The MIM was taken out and trashed, and replaced with forged. All of it, dangit. I trust MIM, but too many places haven't mastered doing it properly so I don't trust the procedure!

I like the small sights. I mostly point shoot and hit what I'm aiming at, which around here are mostly raccoons and other critters like that. If I need the sights I want them to be as precise as possible, and that means small. I have had a couple hairy situations that proved to me that I do not lose front sight focus when my adrenaline is going, so I don't feel handicapped at all. Time dilation and auditory exclusion kick in with me, but nothing on the vision blurring out.

The firing pin retaining plate is the squared-off bottom type to help retard the slide, the trigger is a Greider Precision if I recall correctly, and the hold is so high that if I go any further north the cuts will go into the thumb safety pin. I undercut the trigger guard and almost broke through, but managed to not!

I have some random pics I may post later. I'm only seeing one of three pics I posted initially, so that means that Photobucket isn't acting right. I'll look into that and get some more for you up later.

Specific questions are welcome.

Regards,

Josh

Awesome Run down Josh,

Now I want to fire the thing. Drop some more pics on it when you can. Thanks

This guy is a new to the forum and already sharing his build experiance! i also love tht 1911 build, very slick [grin]

Hello,

Most pictures here are in no particular order, save for the last four. You have no idea how many times I said this was "done" and before I found something else I didn't like about it.

wornfinish.jpg

SSS1.jpg

request2.jpg

leftside.jpg

leftside.jpg

back.jpg

feedramp.jpg

viewport.jpg

SOCOMclone2.jpg

flawunfinished1.jpg

This irritated me when I found it

ontilefinished.jpg

finishedontilenoarrow.jpg

recent1.jpg

I've not worked on it in a few months, so I think it's safe to say it is "done".

Notice the safety (Caspian) and how easy it is to hit... in fact, it's hard to miss!

Regards,

Josh

Back
Top Bottom