• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my club is having problems

I don't live far from Haverhill... went to High School at the voc... it's a toilet. How anyone can cite the source of bullets there should really have a shit of a time proving the source. Between it and Lawrence it might as well be the scene of the next Eminem movie.

I don't live far from Haverhill... went to High School at the voc... it's a toilet. How anyone can cite the source of bullets there should really have a shit of a time proving the source. Between it and Lawrence it might as well be the scene of the next Eminem movie.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about then.

As for the rounds coming off the range, there's really no doubt, the neighborhood is lined up with the rifle range and the police did ballistics/bullet trajectory. There's actually another club across the pond but there's no way rounds came from there or the pistol range. Its probably been happening for years, the trees are all shot up and have been for 30+ years but those houses weren't there then.
Clubs got a good idea of what they need to do and are visiting other clubs who had similar problems to see what they did rather than shell out thousands for the NRA to even look at it, its just going to be a while I'm afraid.

since people cant seem to keep there rounds going in the right direction. this happens.
Same problems at our club for a while. #1 problem was shooters shooting at target on or low to ground they would bounce over the burm.
or trigger happy muzzle climbing. Club installed a long "eye brow" extended out into the range over head. its actually sad how shot up it is already? Either really bad shooting or nim whits being asses and shooting on purpose? crazy. 20 years ago you could shoot at anything you brought to the club as long as you bring it out with you. Today members cry about full trash barrels, no target stands or shoot up anything that the club puts out there(yardage markers)
I hope you club jumps on this and solves the problems....

The Plain and simple fact is many simply cannot shoot for crap....shooting skills are pure showmanship and zero skill. But that aside, It is REALLY important that club leadership responds to ALL these issues. Not make concessions...but respond and be proactive....

From time to time, I get calls from people complaining that bullets have landed in their yard or are lodged in the side of their homes. Recently, I got a call about a bullet that had, "landed in a yard" Fact is, the bullet had NOT landed in the yard. The resident had recently had a "Ditch witch" operate on the property and overturned a lead projectile, consistent with a .32 caliber. If I had to guess the age, it was likely 80+ years old. I educated the homeowner saying "this" bullet did not come from a rifle and was very old, suggesting it had been here all along and was uncovered during the installation of their lawn irrigation system.

In the second instance, (last month) I visited a home where a projectile was lodged in the surface of siding...the bullet was facing "east" or right toward our club. I explained to the homeowner that the bullet could not have come from our club because it was facing toward our club. Second, I explained that it came from a considerable distance. the penetration (or lack thereof) gave indication that most of its energy had dissipated. Had it come from our club, it would have penetrated substantially more, even gone through the wall.

When dealing with these sorts of incidents, Clubs tend to be the "known quantity" and people always assume first. check each and every one out and let the physical facts be your guide.

I belong to a club in Maine that was closed for a year and had to spend a lot of money to get recertified as a safe range. They had to build 30 foot impact berms and 10 foot side berms to get town permitting back. This is a great start but it still does not stop the idiot shooter who has no clue. I arrived at a range a few years ago to find a shooter knocking down ram silhouette tagets with a .22-250. I said to him, "Are you aware that you are shooting right through those animals?" He said "no" they are steel. When I showed him the holes he was amazed. Most do not realize what power they hold in their hands and how far such projectiles will travel. In most cases we have met the enemy and it is us.

Re Hiltonizer's remarks about Haverhill:

I agree with El Duderino that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

There are some very nice sections of Haverhill.

Last edited:
Sounds like the club is reacting appropriately. While it is possible that these bullets are from the club, fraudulent claims are common.

Remember this photo?
2ly339x.jpg

Meh, disagree all you please. I obviously exaggerated but i'm not way off either, I know Haverhill very well. At the very least, hang out near Building 19 or the DMV for a and then talk to me.

On a number of time I have noticed on our 100 yard range people shooting and the rounds are hitting the
ground about 50 yards downrange. When you advise them that the rounds may bounce over the backstop
they have no idea why.

I'm lucky enough to belong to a club with huge natural berms that prevent a lot of this. On top of that, most people value it so much they don't want to cause problems.

Try this...

Joe, (In front) should help keep the shots on the berm.

long-long-gun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom