• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My chrono is useless, any ideas

Hello, my shooting alpha crony is giving me issues.
1) The speeds it gives are always ~35-70fps less than the “official” chronology at major matches, I measure 900, at the match I’m 940 for a 147 9mm, and I think I'm 1125-1135, and I am up at 1200 for 115.

2) Yesterday it told me blazer brass had a speed variation from 587fps to 1808fps. Granted this was the sun, but I need one that works in the sun. I had the shade on, yes, it made no difference.

Can these things get sent back for a calibration or adjustment? Is there something better than won’t break the bank? Thanks.

I’d contact shooting chrony. They definitely have a trade in program. Actually, I gave mine away as it was crap. I have Caldwell now and for a lower priced unit it works well.

Get a Magnetospeed or a Labradar is the real answer to your question. There is a reason they are more expensive.

Regular shadow chronographs will always have a higher SD and typically under measure velocity. The science of the cheap chronographs is inherently limited by outdoor conditions, bullet size, etc.

Hello, my shooting alpha crony is giving me issues.
1) The speeds it gives are always ~35-70fps less than the “official” chronology at major matches, I measure 900, at the match I’m 940 for a 147 9mm, and I think I'm 1125-1135, and I am up at 1200 for 115.
The Blazer thing aside, an obvious error, maybe this is within the spread of your ammo. The only way to accurately predict what each single piece of ammo is really going to do in a given set of conditions is to shoot it all through the chrono.....and then unfortunately you have none left.

Build a chrono coffin like they use at major. But it is better that your chrono runs slow than fast and then go sub minor at a match
you need a infrared sensors for the "coffin" to work.
Unless you have the top open to the sky.
I took a old tote that was about the same color as my difussers and use that instead of the factory ones.
i will also add some black poster board to the sides to limit unwanted glare and reflections.
I use my chrony more for pellet gun repair than guns and it can be a pain some times. The sensors and unit works best when level and you get the bullet going through as level as possible.
Clean sensors and good battery goes a long way also.

I'm a chrono newbie compared to a lot of the folks here, but I simply gave up trying to get good results in anything but overcast (but dry) days. I've got a Caldwell that came with sun shades...but I gave up on trying to use them after so many funky readings or failures.

I don't do enough Chrono work for this to be an issue...and this *is* New England so my options for grey days are plentiful ;-)

Are you replicating the same/same distance from muzzle that they are using at matches ? Could that account for any difference (a question for the more experienced guys here) ?

Back
Top Bottom