My Bug Out Bag

Lord0fWar

NES Member
So, after looking at my bug out bag for awhile in my truck...I figured why not do a video on it. I unfortunately couldn't go into detail about all of the stuff in the bag and why I choose to carry it or I would have been on camera for 2 days, but if anyone wants specifics let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for posting that. I have been thinking about that a lot lately, but deciding "what" you would potentially need is always difficult. That is a good example of typical items that would be useful on the go. Have you considered maybe adding something like a takedown 10-22, Sub2k, or other compact rifle for small game hunting/SD use?

Cool, thanks for posting that. I have been thinking about that a lot lately, but deciding "what" you would potentially need is always difficult. That is a good example of typical items that would be useful on the go. Have you considered maybe adding something like a takedown 10-22, Sub2k, or other compact rifle for small game hunting/SD use?

I had a sub2k in this bag with 5 loaded mags...it was way too heavy.

I do have a 10/22 TD as a "go bag" option which you will see in a later video.

This bag travels in my truck, it weighs 53lbs with everything in it...but after some research and looking at other people's set ups...what's in it is what I would need if I needed to be stuck somewhere for a few days and set up camp or hunker down. Everyone's gear/issues are different...and I know there is a lot of talk on here especially in the survival thread about this one. I have another video coming out talking about different options for "go bags"

Yeah I was going to suggest the Takedown as well but it looks like you got it covered.
I like your bag though how much do those run $150?

Yeah I was going to suggest the Takedown as well but it looks like you got it covered.

I was gonna ask the same... what's that bag cost empty, and how much do you think it has cost you to put it together the way you have?? (this isn't to say that survival should have a $ value...).

Cool video , nice kit.

I've been semi-testing mine for a half dozen weekends while working on my very primitive low tech cabin in SW Maine. Like you said , everyone's will be different , but here's an idea I stole or discovered over the Fall that will improve anyone's bag :

Zipper pull trinkets - screwing around with multiple zippers on your bag is made a lot easier if one zipper has a big thing , another has a whattacallit , and a third has a gizmo on it. I went with a mini compass on one , a small led light on another , and a mini bic lighter with a paracord loop taped to it for attachment.

After dark I can get around the gear easier by feel. The LED I mentioned is a rubber ball orb/bottle opener that clicks to activate and will light up the interior of the bag for me. I scored it at EMS for like 3 bucks.

I think so, I bought one 4 years ago when they first came out and paid a little more. It is an awesome bag, I can pack for 5 or 6 day work trip and still carry it on the small regional planes with out checking it.

For all that asked...here is the link to the bag.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/MultiCam-RUSH-72-Backpack.html

They are pricey but VERY well made and 5.11 stands behind their products. They also have some smaller bags as well...I did a good amount of research before I made the purchase...another set up I have is in a Maxpedition bag as well

- - - Updated - - -

I was gonna ask the same... what's that bag cost empty, and how much do you think it has cost you to put it together the way you have?? (this isn't to say that survival should have a $ value...).

I honestly couldnt say off the top of my head...what I do have is pictures of all the contents for insurance purposes. I'm on the email lists for a lot of the survival type online stores, whenever they have coupon codes or clearance items i stock up!

I'll have to watch the video later, but I was wondering if you also keep a plate carrier in the car/truck. I only ask because a loaded out plate carrier plus a 53 pound ruck is a lot of weight to have on the go. If it's just the bag, then it's not a big deal. I remember our rucks were heavy in the service and we could handle it for just humping through the mountains. But as a fighting load? Our rucks and a fighting load? Hell no; my ass would keel over. LOL

Again, I'll watch later when I can.

No plate carrier...I'd die humpin all that stuff haha. On a serious note...this is the stuff I keep in my truck ALL the time...and bring with me on road trips. This is survival type stuff if the truck were to break down or something happened while on my way back home. My other packs are lighter and built more around "fighting".

- - - Updated - - -

Cool video , nice kit.

I've been semi-testing mine for a half dozen weekends while working on my very primitive low tech cabin in SW Maine. Like you said , everyone's will be different , but here's an idea I stole or discovered over the Fall that will improve anyone's bag :

Zipper pull trinkets - screwing around with multiple zippers on your bag is made a lot easier if one zipper has a big thing , another has a whattacallit , and a third has a gizmo on it. I went with a mini compass on one , a small led light on another , and a mini bic lighter with a paracord loop taped to it for attachment.

After dark I can get around the gear easier by feel. The LED I mentioned is a rubber ball orb/bottle opener that clicks to activate and will light up the interior of the bag for me. I scored it at EMS for like 3 bucks.

Great point...in the segments that didnt make it to the video i pointed some of that stuff out, the video got long so we tried to get the meat and potatoes out there so as not to bore anyone

For all that asked...here is the link to the bag.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/MultiCam-RUSH-72-Backpack.html

They are pricey but VERY well made and 5.11 stands behind their products. They also have some smaller bags as well...I did a good amount of research before I made the purchase...another set up I have is in a Maxpedition bag as well

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly couldnt say off the top of my head...what I do have is pictures of all the contents for insurance purposes. I'm on the email lists for a lot of the survival type online stores, whenever they have coupon codes or clearance items i stock up!

Yes when I wrote $150 I was kind of dreaming that up, I have seen one up close and personal and was told over $200. They are excellent, nice idea for another Karma - lol ;) Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom