My AR/M4 Build - 1st rifle build in 25+ years

Reviving my old build thread. [grin]

Things have changed a bit.

• The Spikes Billet Upper was swapped out for a Spikes Billet Upper Gen II.
  • Swapped with a NES member from my 15" VRS Diamondhead rail to a 13.5" VRS Diamondhead rail.
  • Pulled out the Spikes buffer and buffer spring replaced with a JP Enterprises catured spring.
  • Threw my Noveske K9 (7.62) on it.
  • Timney 3.5 lb Skeleton trigger

And this morning at State line I picked up:

• Bushnell AR 223 1-4x 24mm Throw Down PCL Scope.

IMG_0790[1].jpg IMG_0791[1].jpg IMG_0792[1].jpg

IMG_0789[1].jpg IMG_0794[1].jpg IMG_0795[1].jpg

Spent some quality time at the Shirley Gun Club for a few hours, had the place to myself. Had no problems hitting an 6" plate at 100 yds consistently in short time.

Was hitting an 8" plate at 200 yards before I left, not quite as consistently.

Not a bad little scope for the money, illuminated reticule, etc.

Good day all around.

Last edited:
Ditch the forward grips it will group better[wink]
It's hard to see sometimes with the front sight post but some tend to rock when you adjust it.
It's hard to pick up visually. They are not always threaded true either. They are of course back up sights ment for a 50 yard zero and ability to "hit" a 16x22 target out to 300 or so.
The addition of the scope might help shrink up your groups now along with the nice trigger.
Toss some nice ammo through that thing.
It's a little funny but my standard RRA A2 shoots m193/855 and steel cased fodder better than my national match rifle BUT my match ammo does not do much better than the M855 and wolf in the mil spec A2...... which is a 3-4moa gun. My NM can shoot MOA but I can't deliver with out the rest.

Oh yeah...... I like the look of that rifle. Good job.

Thanks. It has a great trigger from the Timney group buy.

The previous posts about having a hard time zeroing were a long time ago and have been completely alleviated.

The forward grips I happen to like and doesn't have any effect in my groupings whatsoever. I will probably remove the magpul off, if anything.

It's got a decent 1x4 scope right now and at 200 yards, groups shots tight easily in a 3-4 inch circle.

Looking into a bit better scope currently, maybe a 12x or better for egg shoots.

Even with the scope off and with BUIS, it's deadly accurate and I am very happy with the end results.

Was supposed to be a semi-budget build 2 years ago, but that was blown out very quickly. [emoji3]

Anytime you want try it, just holler.

Thanks. It has a great trigger from the Timney group buy.

The previous posts about having a hard time zeroing were a long time ago and have been completely alleviated.

The forward grips I happen to like and doesn't have any effect in my groupings whatsoever. I will probably remove the magpul off, if anything.

It's got a decent 1x4 scope right now and at 200 yards, groups shots tight easily in a 3-4 inch circle.

Looking into a bit better scope currently, maybe a 12x or better for egg shoots.

Even with the scope off and with BUIS, it's deadly accurate and I am very happy with the end results.

Was supposed to be a semi-budget build 2 years ago, but that was blown out very quickly. [emoji3]

Anytime you want try it, just holler.

Nice to see you worked it out.....what was the zeroing issue?

Site picture is slightly different with the Diamondhead sights that I wasn't quite used to, plus I had a slight alignment issue on the 1st Spikes upper and the hand guard. Which by default was corrected when it was replaced by Spikes, free of charge, with the new Gen II billet upper after the Gen I had a failure related to a faulty forward assist setup.

Basically, the Sun, the moon, and 5 planets lined up at the same time. [emoji3]

The billet upper and lower receivers are new and not what I started out with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom