1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

My AR is ready for you,’ Texas lawmaker tells Beto O’Rourke over mandatory buybacks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yosemite Sam, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

‘My AR is ready for you,’ Texas lawmaker tells Beto O’Rourke over mandatory buybacks
    By Antonia Noori Farzan The Washington Post,September 13, 2019, an hour ago
    [​IMG]
    Democratic presidential candidate former US Representative Beto O'Rourke gave a closing statement at the debate Thursday. (DAVID J. PHILIP/ASSOCIATED PRESS)
    Beto O’Rourke has already backed mandatory buybacks for assault weapons, but at Thursday’s Democratic debate, he left no ambiguity about what that would mean. ‘‘Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,’’ he said.

Less than an hour later, O’Rourke received what he described as a ‘‘death threat’’ from a fellow Texas politician. ‘‘My AR is ready for you Robert Francis,’’ Briscoe Cain, a Republican state representative from the Houston area, wrote on Twitter, using O’Rourke’ legal name.

Cain did not respond to multiple requests for comment about his message. But many read it as clear threat of violence, and a spokeswoman for O’Rourke’s campaign told The Washington Post that staffers had reported the tweet to the FBI.

Advertisement

‘‘This is a death threat, Representative,’’ O’Rourke wrote on Twitter. ‘‘Clearly, you shouldn’t own an AR-15 - and neither should anyone else.’’

Cain shot back: ‘‘You’re a child Robert Francis.’’

Twitter also took quick action, removing the lawmaker’s tweet roughly two hours after it appeared. A spokesman told The Post that it violated the company’s terms of service, which prohibit violent threats.

Thousands responded to the tweet before it was taken down, and Cain engaged with some. Asked if he had just threatened to shoot a presidential candidate and former member of Congress, he replied, ‘‘You’re an idiot.’’ When another critic told him they had saved a screenshot of his comments for the FBI, the lawmaker responded, ‘‘Cool bro.’’

Cain’s provocation came shortly after a moderator at Thursday night’s debate asked O’Rourke if his proposal to require assault rifle owners to sell their weapons to the government amounted to taking away people’s guns. As The Post’s Amy B Wang reported, the former Texas congressman didn’t flinch, saying that assault weapons such as AR-15s and AK-47s were developed for combat, and use the kind of high-impact, high-velocity round that ‘‘shreds everything inside your body because it was designed to do that, so that you would bleed to death on a battlefield, not be able to get up and kill one of our soldiers.’’

Advertisement

‘‘When we see that being used against children,’’ he said, ‘‘hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47.’’

Since Aug. 3, when a gunman armed with an AK-style rifle killed 22 people at a Walmart in O’Rourke’s hometown of El Paso, the candidate has been an outspoken proponent of stricter gun-control measures, including mandatory buybacks. He had previously supported banning the sale of new AR-15 rifles but stopped short of advocating for taking existing guns out of circulation, telling talk radio station KFYO in 2018, ‘‘If you purchased that AR-15, if you own it, keep it, continue to use it responsibly.’’

Since the mass shooting in El Paso, O’Rourke has been emphatic about what a mandatory buyback would mean. Asked by a reporter earlier this month if he could address fears that the government was going to take away people’s assault rifles, he replied, ‘‘That’s exactly what we’re going to do.’’ But his forceful ‘‘hell, yes’’ on Thursday became one of the most memorable lines of the presidential debate. By the end of the night, it had turned into a slogan, appearing in red, white and blue letters on T-shirts sold on O’Rourke’s campaign website.

The proposal has widespread support among Democrats nationally - 74 percent support a mandatory buyback program, compared to 31 percent of Republicans, a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll found.

Advertisement

Cain’s assertion that his AR-15 was ‘‘ready’’ struck many as insensitive in light of the mass shootings that took place last month in El Paso and Odessa, Texas, where a gunman armed with an assault-style rifle killed seven and injured 22.

‘‘In case you forgot, people were just killed in El Paso,’’ responded Mary E. Gonzales, a Democratic member of the Texas House. ‘‘People were murdered. The language you are using and the way you are using it is dangerous.’’

Speaking to reporters after the debate, O’Rourke said that Cain’s comment ‘‘sure reads’’ like a death threat. ‘‘I think it’s a really irresponsible thing for him to do,’’ he added, ‘‘especially somebody who is a public servant and in a position of public trust to be sending that kind of message.’’

Cain, an attorney, frequently uses his official social media accounts to air inflammatory and hyperbolic views. On Wednesday, for instance, he suggested on Twitter that the Texas legislature should ‘‘abolish’’ the famously liberal city of Austin.

First elected to the Texas legislature in 2016, Cain was ranked the most conservative lawmaker in the state’s House of Representatives the following year, and he also received the dubious distinction of appearing on Texas Monthly’s list of the 10 worst legislators in the state in 2017. Typically, the publication explained, freshmen lawmakers are exempted from the list, but they cited Cain’s ‘‘uninformed and belligerent performance.’’

Advertisement

An outspoken supporter of Second Amendment rights, Cain was kicked out of the Texas Democratic Party convention in 2018 after he showed up with what appeared to be a sidearm and began handing out fake yard signs that said, ‘‘This home is a gun-free safe space,’’ the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

The paper noted that when students across the nation left class to protest gun violence in the wake of a mass shooting that killed 17 in Parkland, Florida, last year, Cain responded by introducing legislation that would temporarily revoke state funding from any Texas schools where similar walkouts took place.

David Hogg, a former Parkland student and co-founder of March for Our Lives, argued that Cain’s tweet proved the necessity of mandatory buybacks.

‘‘If you threaten to kill a presidential candidate you should not have a gun,’’ he wrote

I didn’t see this as a threat,
    it sounded like he wanted to comply, and give him his AR15 LOL

People are so easily misunderstood

Oh chicken little, the sky is falling,

Squib308, Jason Flare, Fixxah and 4 others like this.
  2. 76Too

76Too NES Member

Having come, take!

So cute how they neglect to consider Beto’s statement a threat. That turd should be tarred and feathered for tyranny.

2-old-4-this, JJ4, Nikos and 9 others like this.
  3. sigfanboy13

sigfanboy13

While I agree with the sentiment. It just looks bad.

4. 76Too

76Too NES Member

I see your point, but these people need to know that they’re quite literally playing with fire.

amm5061, Squib308, Nikos and 18 others like this.
  5. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Their hipocricy is infuriating, the death-threat thing is a two-way street....

Squib308, soloman02, Gak44 and 5 others like this.
  6. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It is a promise of self defense, not a threat. Just don't try to steal his guns and you will be fine.

7. SFC13557

SFC13557 NES Member

But of course manly Beto cries like a child. Beto's the one who threatened US.

8. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

To be honest, every person who owns an AR-15 and is on social media should tell him the same thing. All at once

NH_Realtor, Squib308, MA2NH and 23 others like this.
  9. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Beto shoots off his mouth, but he won't be the one on the front lines going door to door. He should be. It would be friggin' funny.

10. snax

snax NES Member

Since I was a kid in grade school, after I learned the F word.... every time I heard someone tell me something was mandatory, my inner monologue went something like "f*** You!"

Squib308, 76Too, Jason Flare and 4 others like this.
  11. gunofthrones

gunofthrones

David Hogg..............................mutherf***er won't go away.

xjma99 and Horrible like this.
  12. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

At least he is being honest about his intentions

blindndead likes this.
  13. jpk

jpk

Beta is sprinting down a path to becoming a darwin awards candidate

I'd consider sending Cain a campaign donation........

xjma99 likes this.
  14. jpk

jpk

To make sure his AR is ready for the admitted criminal......

BigTimber and xjma99 like this.
  15. Squire

Squire

The guy should have said "I, with many, many other Americans, will resist confiscation and other Leftist tyranny, as is our Right by God and the Constitution".

MA2NH, Jason Flare, Gak44 and 4 others like this.
  16. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

So Robert Francis, your soldiers carry AK's on the battlefield to bleed out the enemy? mmmm..........Maybe another Russian collusion investigation coming.

Fixxah and Horrible like this.
  17. Jsfitzgerald85

Jsfitzgerald85

Ah yes. We will come and you will give up your personal property under threat of force. Makes sense, when i think of the land of the free, threatening citizens is exactly what comes to mind.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    xjma99 likes this.
  18. Jsfitzgerald85

Jsfitzgerald85

I am curious. Does ex post facto affect this and is that the reason all previous gun bans had grandfather clauses?

19. jpk

jpk

I think thats exactly what most people understood him to say.......you need to learn to read between the lines

20. jpk

jpk

Is Beta a prohibited person?

Details?

xjma99 and Horrible like this.
  21. Pete85

Pete85

He won't though. He's going to get a lot of police officers killed instead when people won't give into his Nazi ideology.

VTski4x4, xjma99 and 308rifleman like this.
  22. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    I can't wait to see these idiots start filing ERPO petitions against each other in court.

Jason Flare and xjma99 like this.
  23. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Cain should have said 'My AR-15 is ready for you to come and take.'

It lacks an explicit threat, and anyone who gets it knows the implied Molon Labe

soloman02, Asaltweapon and xjma99 like this.
  24. jpk

jpk

25. June4th

June4th NES Member

‘If you come to take to take my life and natural rights, I will use deadly force against you’, is NOT a deadly threat.

26. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

No, I mean Beto

27. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

If you intend to violate my 4th amendment rights with your "mandatory buy back" than I intend to use my 2nd amendment rights to defend them. Seems pretty simple to me. I'm sure I won't be alone. Those of us who choose this path will become a militia.

That's EXACTLY why the founders wrote the 2nd amendment.

Cur, Nikos, Gak44 and 1 other person like this.
  28. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran

Texan's have a solid chance to show the rest of us they really are the Texan's they want us to think they are with this guy...

xjma99 likes this.
  29. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

Nah, his response was perfect. Look at the attention it’s getting. He literally said Molon labe

CatSnoutSoup, 76Too, H-minus and 2 others like this.
  30. Whutmeworry

Whutmeworry NES Member

NOT 1600 Pennsylvannia Avenue anymore!!!!
    It’s best to not even play their game. The correct response needs to simply be: “Explain to me how this is a threat.” They can’t answer that question.

We also need to stop playing their game by even USING the term “hate speech”. We desperately need to dismiss this term out of hand. There are only two kinds of speech: Free speech, and speech controlled by the powerful. It’s totally binary. There MUST be ZERO restrictions on speech.

MachineHead and xjma99 like this.