My 2018 metal detecting

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The last time I posted about metal detecting there was a lot of interest so here is an update.
A house down the road from me has always peaked my interest. It went on the market a couple of weeks ago so I was able to look up information on it. It turns out it has been vacant for years and is bank owned. The house was built in 1785! Yesterday I walked down and spent just an hour swinging my AT pro.
This spot is hot. The two key finds were a 1809 half cent and a King George 2. The george 2 coin is a bit toasted so I cant confirm a date but they were minted from 1727 to 1760.

Attachments

quiller

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool finds. Reminds me of finding old clay pipe on my uncles farm back in Ireland. If a ouoe broke you left it exactly where it fell. On occasion you’d find s matching stem and bowl. Childhood was fun back then....

Al-Jim19

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Awesome finds! I’ve always wanted a metal detector. I recently bought a magnet for “fishing” and took it out last night for the first time. Only managed to pickup a handful of fish hooks.

Ski

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow..nice finds!
I've always had an interest in metal detecting currently living in a 1750 and formerly in a 125 year old school house.
What type of detector do you use and how easy it to select materials to avoid picking up metal junk?

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice, I have used one in years. I bet they are much more reliable these days. I live in my childhood house, I'm pretty sure all the digging we've done over the years have emptied any treasures that might be here. Used to find very old glass bottles all the time as a kid.

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow..nice finds!
I've always had an interest in metal detecting currently living in a 1750 and formerly in a 125 year old school house.
What type of detector do you use and how easy it to select materials to avoid picking up metal junk?
I run a Garrett AT pro. The newer AT Max is even better but I will wait to buy it. My AT pro is awesome at finding coins and when you run it in pro mode you can literally hear the coin even if there is a large piece of iron under it. The Garrett AT series detectors are in my opinion the best you can get under $800.

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice, I have used one in years. I bet they are much more reliable these days. I live in my childhood house, I'm pretty sure all the digging we've done over the years have emptied any treasures that might be here. Used to find very old glass bottles all the time as a kid.
I have been to properties that were "hunted out" and found several coins. A good quality detector will help you find things that others missed.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Nice! Smart research there too.

I've been thinking about getting into this. One of my kids has a simple unit and we've found some cool stuff in Tennessee. I don't think it has good enough discrimination to help hunt for coins around here.

I have spotted what must have been a large homestead for its day and a future target for some detecting. Only some stone walls for farm buildings remain, but there is an area uphill from the ruins and close to a spring- the site of a home? Nice and flat unlike the surrounding terrain, and there's a massive old tree trunk down in that area as well. Given its relatively short yet very thick structure, this tree was probably growing in a large open space. The area is now completely covered in new growth forest, so a pretty old site.

Oh...

Also back in TN there's a spot close to our old home that might have some interesting finds. I'll need a waterproof detector for that- it was the site of rope swings over a local river for over 100 years. Too many f-tards were causing problems on the property, so it's posted and no more rope swings for the last ~10 years. The river is fair game, however...

CrossFaced

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The last time I posted about metal detecting there was a lot of interest so here is an update.
A house down the road from me has always peaked my interest. It went on the market a couple of weeks ago so I was able to look up information on it. It turns out it has been vacant for years and is bank owned. The house was built in 1785! Yesterday I walked down and spent just an hour swinging my AT pro.
This spot is hot. The two key finds were a 1809 half cent and a King George 2. The george 2 coin is a bit toasted so I cant confirm a date but they were minted from 1727 to 1760.
How do you go about getting permission to hunt places? I have a White XT given to me by my late father and I’d love to get out and try it.

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How do you go about getting permission to hunt places? I have a White XT given to me by my late father and I’d love to get out and try it.
I asked around. I asked people in the general stores etc if they know of older homes or sites. If they donI ask who owns it and if I could get permission. Many times the properties are not posted and are just wooded lots without homes.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Cool!

I got my son and daughter what I thought was a halfway-decent machine a few years ago. It is hit-or-miss. It'll go off on a spot, then NOT go off. I'm not sure if it's just nothing and nothing in the area or if the thing is wonky. We haven't touched it in a couple of years. Worked over the dam and river when the water hit record low 2 Falls ago. Nada. Not even an old lead weight or a rusted hook. Odd.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
lol, I got my kid a detector, they are pretty cheap for even half decent machines. Lots of digging. He found a bullet in my backyard ; ) how did it get there?

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This has me thinking; we are shortly starting a renovation project, with the original part of the house dating to 1789.

I really should try to get a metal detector out to that property, if I ever have the free time....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a Garrett AT pro. The newer AT Max is even better but I will wait to buy it. My AT pro is awesome at finding coins and when you run it in pro mode you can literally hear the coin even if there is a large piece of iron under it. The Garrett AT series detectors are in my opinion the best you can get under $800.
AT PRO and AT MAX are great machines. At the beach and in the dry sand, i actually like it better than my Excal. Much easier to pick out the bottle caps when in pro mode.
I am actually getting ready to post my AT PRO for sale. I just dont use it enough and need some cash for another toy.

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I had plans to upgrade my Ace350 to a AT Pro or Max this spring but have been spending money like it’s my job lately so that hasn’t happened... hopefully this fall. I have found 4 flat buttons on my property, 3 Indian heads in the same hole 63,64,65 which was pretty cool and a bunch of Tumbac buttons

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had plans to upgrade my Ace350 to a AT Pro or Max this spring but have been spending money like it’s my job lately so that hasn’t happened... hopefully this fall. I have found 4 flat buttons on my property, 3 Indian heads in the same hole 63,64,65 which was pretty cool and a bunch of Tumbac buttons
I enjoy finding buttons. I found this one yesterday very close to where the george 2 coin was.

Attachments

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Pretty cool, I have found one that was silver and very small. Don’t know if it was off some womans clothing or something and also 2 large copper ones that have what looks like an ivy type design around the perimeter. Both the exact same buttons found within 50 yards of each other a couple months apart. I live about 2500’ off the road and other than stone walls there aren’t any signs of old structures around. My house was built in 85 so relatively new. Don’t know what the property looked like before. You can somewhat make out the remnants of a old cart path in spots in the woods.

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Awesome finds, very interesting. Haven’t used a MD since I was a little kid, dad bought me an old used one from someone he worked with. Man was I was loving it.

If I wasn’t using it to find stuff me and my friends used it to pretend to be WWII mine sweepers against the Krauts. lol

Seems like maybe I’d enjoy doing that again in my old age. Finding cool stuff, not sweeping for mines.

Reactions: Lip

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Origin of the Conn Home Guard:

HARTFORD. July 14, 1863.

"For the purpose of aiding civil officers in the execution of the laws of this State, and of the United States. I hereby invite the services of patriotic citizens, in numbers sufficient to organize two or more battalions of infantry, which will be organized, armed, and equipped for three months' State service, unless sooner discharged, in accordance with orders, which will be immediately issued."

WM. A. BUCKINGHAM,

Commander-in-Chief.

Top Bottom