• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My 1st "Antique",my 1st M39, and my 1st C&R "disappointment"

After finding a steal on a Finn M91 at a local gun show I new I needed the M39 to go with it. With a limited budget ( originally $275 ) I set out with much help from the always helpful NES mil-surp crew to find a M39. I found a old listing on gunboards from a very respected collector a antique receiver M39. It had no pictures, only the most brief description possible and had been posted for almost a year. So, after managing to stretch my budget to a total of $350 and some negotiations to get the seller to $350 shipped to me ( made even harder because it took him days to respond to emails ) I pulled the trigger and took a chance.

So, nearly a month after starting original conversations with the seller FedEx dropped off my newest addition to the safe this afternoon. Heres the good, and the (slightly) disappointing results

1941 VKT M39

Circle "P" receiver for Chatellerault

pre 1928 marked Izhevsk bolt

post 1928 Izhevsk magazine

trigger looks like tula marked

War time stock

The trigger is almost a good as my RRA 2 stage trigger on my AR ( I was shocked at how good it was! ) Bore is shiny and sharp, muzzle and crown are tight and flawless... Marking and bluing are decent for what ive seen of other m39 for sale.

The disappointment, in my foolishness I didnt realize that not ALL Chatellerault are dated ( I was totally fascinated with owning a dated, Chat antique ) I was more than depressed to remove the action to find this out. Second disappointment was the stock. I was fully aware that this was a "wartime stock" and bumps, dings,dents were included. This is honestly a selling point for me as I like guns that have been there and done that. My disappointment was the number of current dings and dents that have occurred more recently in the sellers safe or vault.

All in all, I think its ok and makes a fine addition to a small collection. Live and learn and know what your buying!

IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0071.jpg IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0079.jpg This makes up the last 2 months off additions, 1940 VKT M91, 1944 Izhevsk M44 non refurb, and 1941 M39 on Chatellerault receiver

Last edited:
Good looking gun - congrats!

Don't worry about the dings and scratches - that's just signs of character. As long as the bore is good and you can meet the Finnish military accuracy standard required of the M39 before being released to the Army (1.3" group or less at 100 meters) you're good to go.

Be sure to try a variety of ammo to see which gives you the best accuracy results.

If you want to complete the package, make sure you find a bayonet to go with it (repro, because originals go for $300 plus). Then you'll be ready for the next bayonet charge at an NES shoot!

That is a nice looking M39. The bumps and such can be reduced just by steaming, but I would leave it as is. I cant see anything that takes away from the rifle. It looks good to me.

Congratulations!!!!

USMA-82 where can I find a repro M39 bayo???? Everywhere I have looked states out of stock :(

Last edited:
That is a nice looking M39. The bumps and such can be reduced just by steaming, but I would leave it as is. I cant see anything that takes away from the rifle. It looks good to me.

Congratulations!!!!

USMA-82 where can I find a repro M39 bayo???? Evey where I have looked states out of stock :(

Fred, I was just a little upset with the seller for not disclosing the in better detail some of the dings and dents..... For someone who has some very collectible item for sale, I expected better from him. The finger grooves are what bother me the most, as the left side has had considerable rounding over of the edge. All in all, Im still pretty happy with it, and I feel it was an ok value (but Ive been on a streak of "stealing" c&r guns, so Im not use to ok value! )

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

So, what should I go for next? Ex-sniper? MO mosin? I know theres a Finn M27 ( a little rough around the edges ) I could get for mid $200... Im also still looking for a westinghouse ( but Im still not ready to shell out the $$$ they have been selling for. ) And now I need a Mosin with a Chatellerault DATED receiver.

Fred, I was just a little upset with the seller for not disclosing the in better detail some of the dings and dents..... For someone who has some very collectible item for sale, I expected better from him. The finger grooves are what bother me the most, as the left side has had considerable rounding over of the edge. All in all, Im still pretty happy with it, and I feel it was an ok value (but Ive been on a streak of "stealing" c&r guns, so Im not use to ok value! )

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

So, what should I go for next? Ex-sniper? MO mosin? I know theres a Finn M27 ( a little rough around the edges ) I could get for mid $200... Im also still looking for a westinghouse ( but Im still not ready to shell out the $$$ they have been selling for. ) And now I need a Mosin with a Chatellerault DATED receiver.

I would email him and send it back. I know where there is a all matching pristine Romanian M44 that is to die for.
I you are looking for a real sniper PM me and I will give you the contact info. These are the real deal, not parts rifles.

Heck I will PM you the M44, you will love it.
Just sent you a Westinghouse and a Remington as well........am I contributing to the addiction of a fellow Mosin collector, YUP, and proud of it[cheers]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom