Muzzle Sweep

I got muzzle swept by a cop in the Philippines earlier today. Actually, it was a bit more than a sweep. I was standing at a cross walk and he was standing next to me. He had a 12 gauge slung across his body and was holding it completely horizontally, at a 90 degree angle from his body. When I noticed it, the barrel was pointed directly at my ribs about 18 inches away. He was looking in the other direction. Point that shite down, buddy.

Well, you had the option to do a tactical roll towards him (To stay out of the line of fire) then just disarm him. That way you could have a reasonable conversation about how he was breaking safety rules. [wink]

Hey, while you're there bring me back a 1946 Willys CJ 2-A tub from MD Juan Company, that'd be great, thanks!

In the PI. I sure had a good time when I was there. Enjoy your travels and watch out for those muzzles.

I almost got swept in Tanzania. Our "protection" from animals was carrying a rifle horizontal across his shoulders. Anyone standing to his right was in line to get a big bore surprise.

Safety first yes but underwhelming report. If he wasn't even looking at you he was just oblivious. Your thread made it sound like it was intentional. I see just as many numbnutz at the range doing careless things and my story doesn't even have an international flavor. Banana ketchup and Adobo!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Happens all the time in Chile and Turkey. I once saw a Turkish National Police officer giving traffic directions with his MP5. In Chile, you have the Carabineros would ride 2up and you would get swept by their subs.

Happens all the time in Chile and Turkey. I once saw a Turkish National Police officer giving traffic directions with his MP5. In Chile, you have the Carabineros would ride 2up and you would get swept by their subs.
Those people that talk with their hands are dangerous to us all

Reminds me at a time we were doing some training with the South Korean ROK Marines. We were having them shoot our course of fire on one of their rifle ranges so they could see what we do for training. I was up in the tower calling the commands and my Staff Sergeant was up there with me. We noticed pretty much all of the Koreans were very bad at muzzle discipline but this one in particular was really bad.

I instructed Corporal Wollett, who is one of those guys whose muscles have muscles, to watch the guy on target number 15, which was right in front of us. The guy swept another shooter again and Cpl Wollett started screaming at him (even though the guy didn't understand a word he said). So, the next time the line fires Wollett says something to him and the guy turns his whole body, rifle included directly facing Wollett, who subsequently rips the rifle right out of this Korean guys hands and throws him to the ground.

All the Korean Officers started flipping out and ran over there. I feel bad for the one translator we had there because he was getting yelled at by all the officers.

All in all I think weapon safety isn't as widely practiced in other countries like it is here.

Cpl Wollett also dragged some chick through about 25 yards of wet red clay because she wouldn't let go of her riot shield. We were training some other Marines on riot control techniques and I told Wollett to go get me a shield from someone on the line. He literally dragged her with her shield all the way over to me and then yanked it out of her hands. I then walked around with the mud covered shield explaining to the class that if you are in a situation where you might get pulled into the rioting crowd you should let go of your shield. I think they got the idea. I thanked the girl for assisting with our demonstration. Corporal Wollett is awesome.

Complain to the Filipino police so you can give us a review of the Philippine justice system.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Those people that talk with their hands are dangerous to us all

Saw my battalion Commande sergeant major directing convoy traffic at an interested in in falujah Iraq......using his m9.....complete with finger on the trigger baby!!!!![rofl]

Last edited:
You mean a Jeepney? I've been here 6 times in the last year and a half and you wouldn't catch me dead near one of those shite boxes. ; )

Negative. A really real Jeep Willys CJ Reproduction body. The MD Juan Company in the Philippines is the only place left on the planet that makes them. All other companies that sell them buy them from MD Juan and re-market them, even the Kaiser-Willys company.

Could be worse he could have easily put his arm around with the muzzle sticking in your rips and mumbling something you don't understand.

Saw my battalion Commande sergeant major directing convoy traffic at an interested in in falujah Iraq......using his m9.....complete with finger on the trigger baby!!!!![rofl]

The military definition of muzzle discipline is considerably less puritan than the non-military one. Soldiers sweep other soldiers all the time. It's not a big deal. And if the OP's cop was some sort of paramilitary guy, he probably wouldn't even have understood the OP's concern.

Trigger discipline, though, is emphasized. Your CSM might have just been trying to act "colorful." I met a lot of them that did that sort of thing.

The military definition of muzzle discipline is considerably less puritan than the non-military one. Soldiers sweep other soldiers all the time. It's not a big deal. And if the OP's cop was some sort of paramilitary guy, he probably wouldn't even have understood the OP's concern.

Trigger discipline, though, is emphasized. Your CSM might have just been trying to act "colorful." I met a lot of them that did that sort of thing.

He was colorful alright! And I'm well aware of the lack of muzzle awareness in the Army. The mindset in the army is basically "if the safety is on.......we good"!

Happens all the time. I mean he is in the city with a long gun all day with 1000s of people around him... people are gonna get swept.

I got swept by a guy with nun-chucks in China.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0946s.jpg
    IMG_0946s.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 112
Happens all the time. I mean he is in the city with a long gun all day with 1000s of people around him... people are gonna get swept.

I understand that, but it's not difficult to generally keep the thing pointed at the pavement. It was horizontal and pointed directly at crowds of people as a default position. I saw the same guy doing it again today.

I understand that, but it's not difficult to generally keep the thing pointed at the pavement. It was horizontal and pointed directly at crowds of people as a default position. I saw the same guy doing it again today.

Your right.. So ask him to point it at the ground I am sure that will go well. Or maybe you should contact the military or police in the Philippines and suggest that they do more extensive gun handling training to accommodate your gun safety sensibilities.

Or just go about your day?

Back
Top Bottom