Muzzle loading cannons legal in MA?

I'm just curious if muzzle loading black powder cannons are legal in MA? Personally I would rather have a good rifle than the cannons if I wanted to hit something. Do I need a license other than my LTC to own one? Geez I'd hate to have to take the chop saw to them. Thanks!

A friend at the local club showed me his "MA Cannoneer's License". He told me he had to take a test at the fire place in Sudbury.

I'm just curious if muzzle loading black powder cannons are legal in MA? Personally I would rather have a good rifle than the cannons if I wanted to hit something. Do I need a license other than my LTC to own one? Geez I'd hate to have to take the chop saw to them. Thanks!

if you find you need to part with it, let me know; I have a home for it in NH where it could live without a license.

Does MA issue to non-residents?

Is there a "Massachusetts non-resident Cannoneer's License"? Do they issue NR?

If not, I volunteer to be the test case for a "Privileges and Immunities" claim, assuming we can get the NRA or another group to cover the legal costs.

I've done civil war reenacting a few times in an artillery unit. There is a cannoneers license which I do not have, but have shot the cannon. I believe you may own a cannon and even fire it without the license, as long as someone on the guns crew has the license. Not absolutely sure though. It's a license easily obtained by having the fire marshal come watch you load and fire the cannon, but not really worth it unless you own the cannon from what I can tell.

A black powder cannon is as legal as a nun in church to own.

You must of course have an LTC-A or B to purchase black powder.

You cannot FIRE it (in Mass) without the cannoneer's license mentioned above. You also have to notify the local PD (unsure if you have to ask permission or just notify) when you do fire it.

You can take it to NH and shoot it all day long without any permission slip.

Do be careful firing it. Too much powder turns it from a cool noisemaker into a bomb with wicked shrapnel.

You must of course have an LTC-A or B or FID to purchase black powder, in Massachusetts. No license it required for possession in Mass.

You cannot FIRE it (in Mass) without the cannoneer's license mentioned above. You also have to notify the local PD (unsure if you have to ask permission or just notify) when you do fire it.

Do be careful firing it. Too much powder turns it from a cool noisemaker into a bomb with wicked shrapnel.

Details added.

I tried to get a cannoneer license just because I thought it sounded very "Pirate". But I couldn't find the link within 30 seconds so I lost interest.

Can someone send me the link?

You must of course have an LTC-A or B to purchase black powder.

Make sure you use 1F powder.

Last edited:

Certificate of Competency for Cannon/Mortar

Personal license for firing cannon or mortar firing.

For additional information, call (978) 567-3375.

Licensing Organization
Department of Fire Services
P.O. Box 1025, State Road, Stow, MA 01775
(978) 567-3100
FAX: (978) 567-3199
Application Information
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/forms/fp82.pdf links to PDF file
(978) 567-3375
License Renewal
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/forms/fp82.pdf links to PDF file
(978) 567-3375
License Verification
http://elicense.chs.state.ma.us/DFS_Verification/Search.aspx
(978) 567-3375
For Additional Information
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dfs/licensing/licensing.html

I tried to get a cannoneer license just because I thought it sounded very "Pirate". But I couldn't find the link within 30 seconds so I lost interest.

Post #12 [laugh]

Fair point though. Average reader goes around 200 wpm and that post is around 800-900 words in, so definitely past the 30 sec rule.

Well I asked the question in the first place because I recently took possession of TWO cannons. The small one has a bore of exactly 1 inch and the larger one has a 3 inch bore and is more like a mortar. I can hardly lift it on to the tail gate. The little fella has a motorized turet. Rather than cannon fuse both of them use a large pistol primer. I'm going to post a pile of pics of the small one in the hopes someone can tell me something about it. All I really know at this point is that the builder was one hell of a machinist. I've fired them both but I don't think I'll be taking them to the club. I have 3 inch steel balls but have been using field hockey balls out of the big one but only blanks out of the small one until I find a suitable projectile. I do wish I had somewhere to fire them in peace. If anyone knows of such things please share. I can't find anything on line that looks even remotely similar. Looks like i need a cannoneer's license.

Attachments

• 20170903_192956.jpg
    20170903_192956.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170903_193126.jpg
    20170903_193126.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170903_193201.jpg
    20170903_193201.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170903_193413.jpg
    20170903_193413.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170903_193532.jpg
    20170903_193532.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170903_190515.jpg
    20170903_190515.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170903_193503.jpg
    20170903_193503.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 44
Oh yes.. I got a pile of other cool crap at the same time as the cannons. From wire wrapped 10 gauge shot loads to go over a black powder charge to strange rim fire cartridges this box O stuff was a wonder.

Attachments

• 20170909_214945.jpg
    20170909_214945.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 51
Can someone endorse me?
I would, had I bothered to get the license.

I understand there is a class taught at the state fire fighting school in Stow, but can't seem to find a reference to it.

My advice, just GO there some weekday morning and chat them up. Tell them you're acquiring a hobby cannon and want to learn to use it properly and safely. Chances are they'll appreciate it.

https://goo.gl/maps/7PX6ik1pM6x

1 State Rd, Stow, MA 01775
(978) 567-3200

I would, had I bothered to get the license.

I understand there is a class taught at the state fire fighting school in Stow, but can't seem to find a reference to it.

My advice, just GO there some weekday morning and chat them up. Tell them you're acquiring a hobby cannon and want to learn to use it properly and safely. Chances are they'll appreciate it.

https://goo.gl/maps/7PX6ik1pM6x

1 State Rd, Stow, MA 01775
(978) 567-3200

Thank you for the info, I will give them a call.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom