• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle loader setup

wdemr67

NES Member
I have a new 50 cal TC muzzleloader that I am going to be sighting in this week. My first muzzleloader. It has a scope and Iwasn't sure what range I should sight it I for deer. I was thinking 75 yards. Wondering what people's thoughts were on that range?

The rifle is capable of that distance. If you don't have longer shots than 100 yards and most don't you should be good to go.

I hunt fields and open hardwoods so have longer opportunities. I shoot a 250 grain Hornady SST and routinely make clean kills 100 to 175 yards but use BDC scope. Cross hairs on at 100 first bubble is 150 and second bubble for 200. But it took a few years to work up to those distances.

Remember a witness mark on ram rod is your best friend. Also it is tough to get consistency in hot weather or with warm barrel using sabots.

Remember a witness mark on ram rod is your best friend. Also it is tough to get consistency in hot weather or with warm barrel using sabots.

You want to have multiple witness marks on the ramrod. If your ramrod doesn't seat flush on empty (i.e. you carry a range rod in the field) you want to make sure that you have a mark for empty. Then you want to have marks (different colors helps) for each different load that you use(e.g. if you use different loads for hunting and range shooting). Failing to do that could make it too easy to unintentionally improperly seat your projectile, especially when using a reduced load.

OP:

Read you manual, see what's the recommend load. See if it seems about right. If not, tweak, until it does.

Sight it in at the range you'll likely be shooting.

If it's an inch high or low at [insert yardage here], that will likely be lost in the statistical noise when there's a real deer on the other end of the scope, and the adrenaline kicks in. [wink]

My son and I loaded a TC White Mountain Carbine with the TC cylindrical bullets for the fast twist barrel, and dropped 85 gr of FFFg down the pipe. Dead nuts at 50 yards. Done.

For messing around I load my Wolf with a 50gr pellet and a patched round ball. Fun with a capitol F. For bambi I add a 35 gr for an 85 total and a 245 powerbelt. I use the open sights and don't do anything over 80-90 yds. That's what my eyes and ability allow. Has worked 4 out of the last 6 years. Enjoy is the name of the game... :)

My CVA Accura V2 shoots flat. 25 yards to 100 yards is a dead deer.

Also give it time to cool off between shots or you'll get inconsistent shots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom