• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle energy...

Welcome to high school physics.

kinetic energy = 1/2 mass * velocity^2

Same formula works for bullets, cars, rockets, aircraft, charging football players, and pennies dropped of the top of the Empire State Building.

Don't they teach physics in HS any more?
Yes, but the curriculum has changed a bit since you were there:
E=M*(speed of light now regulated by Congress)^2
Newton's laws have been revised a bit:
An object in motion tends to stay in motion only if union employees allow it to move.
For every action, there is an equal an opposite tax
F=YOU

It really is terrible that high school graduation no longer provides a majority of its graduates with basic command of math, economics and science (or English for that matter). Teachers can complain all they like about scapegoated, but the proof is in the pudding. We have a society full of idiots with highschool (and college) diplomas.

If only 30% of Americans graduated highschool, I could forgive public school as a system for the level of ignorance we see displayed, but we have a high graduation rate. They either need to teach more, fail more students, or the blame falls squarely on them for stamping this meat with their seal of approval.

Don't they teach physics in HS any more?

Not all of us have anything more than vague recollections of high school.
ETA: Although, one thing I DO remember is that I was NOT required to take physics, and therefor I did NOT.

Yes, but the curriculum has changed a bit since you were there:
E=M*(speed of light now regulated by Congress)^2
Newton's laws have been revised a bit:
An object in motion tends to stay in motion only if union employees allow it to move.
For every action, there is an equal an opposite tax
F=YOU

It really is terrible that high school graduation no longer provides a majority of its graduates with basic command of math, economics and science (or English for that matter). Teachers can complain all they like about scapegoated, but the proof is in the pudding. We have a society full of idiots with highschool (and college) diplomas.

If only 30% of Americans graduated highschool, I could forgive public school as a system for the level of ignorance we see displayed, but we have a high graduation rate. They either need to teach more, fail more students, or the blame falls squarely on them for stamping this meat with their seal of approval.

[rofl][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom