Muzzle brakes with suppressor threads - Ma laws make me loopy

groundscrapers

NES Member
So im building myself a .308 but I would like to use it when I do some suppressor testing so I was considering adding either the surefire brake
surefire_7.62_mb762-211c.jpg

surefire-sfmb-762-5-8-24-muzzle-brake.jpg

or aac's

jmhjmhj_40_2.jpg

I know the law prohibits the use of threaded barrels but I've yet to see anything about muzzle devices themselves... I know its just precaution because if I am ever really jammed up its going to be the least of my concerns.

My understanding is that if you thread the barrel mount the break then pin and weld its post ban safe. I know in ct it is.

Sent using my NSA phone

I suppose the questions are are the outside of those brakes considered threaded, and does permanently attaching one to a barrel mean the barrel is now threaded?

I don't see any obvious threading on the surefires - not as sure about the AAC, but it sure doesn't look like 'normal' threading to me.

I'm not familiar enough with those brakes, or how cans attach to them for a definitive answer. (Of course, it being MA law, there is no definitive answer.) Based on what I see here, I would call these well within in my comfort zone, but that's not a legal opinion.

ETA: found a different pic of the AAC, and if it's the Blackout, than I would consider that threaded on the outside, and a no-go. at least by MassPrudence rules, anyway. YMMV.

Last edited:
To the OP. Some brakes have external threads and your question is valid.

But the brakes you pictured above do not have any threads on them. The cans affix with like a quarter turn.

Not like this:

YHM-5M2-QD_bg.jpg

Last edited:
I have one other question. Only two groups of people are allowed to possess cans in MA. LE and "federally licensed firearms manufacturers".

If you are either of those groups, you aren't bound by the AWB in most instances. So why worry?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10A

I'm an RP for an 07 but this would be on my personal rifle and not the companies property. Those brakes are extremely coarsely threaded to allow quick attachment.

I'm an RP for an 07 but this would be on my personal rifle and not the companies property. Those brakes are extremely coarsely threaded to allow quick attachment.

Agreed on the threading. The original federal law, on which the CT law was based, did not say "a threaded barrel".

It said "A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor"

So the logic was that the threaded brakes were not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. They were designed specifically to accommodate a silencer. So they were legal. That was the Fed and CT interpretation.

So let me get this right. You want a can compatible brake so you can use the when you are with the person named on the FFL.

One other question. Are you named on the FFL? You don't need to actually be on the FFL to be a RP. But if you are, you might be able to "possess" a silencer without the primary person with you.

Don

Agreed on the threading. The original federal law, on which the CT law was based, did not say "a threaded barrel".

It said "A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor"

So the logic was that the threaded brakes were not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. They were designed specifically to accommodate a silencer. So they were legal. That was the Fed and CT interpretation.

So let me get this right. You want a can compatible brake so you can use the when you are with the person named on the FFL.

One other question. Are you named on the FFL? You don't need to actually be on the FFL to be a RP. But if you are, you might be able to "possess" a silencer without the primary person with you.

Don

FFL is through a corp. and I am an RP of that FFL.

Back
Top Bottom