• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle Brakes and noise reduction - guidance please

CWulf

NES Member
Hi All, I have a Stag 3 with a Miculeks style compensator/muzzle brake on it. I love the rifle but it is loud as hell and bothersome to the people next to me at the range. I know, I know, that's what ear protection is for but if I shoot it indoors my ears ring for a couple of days even with ear plugs and muffs and last time at the range the concussion cleared that table next to me.. (that was kinda fun tho). I would like some advice from the resident experts here as to what kind of Brake/Compensator I can get that will;

1) Meet the stupid Mass requirement of not being an evil 'flash hider'
2) do its intended job and compensate for rise
3) and most importantly reduce the noise as much as possible...

Any advise would be appreciated....

I also anticipate a certain amount of 'what a newbie' and 'ARs are loud dummie' abuse for a newbie and possibly even, god forbid, Fuddish question.... [wink]

Thanks

sent from my walkie-talkie in a foxhole in my backyard.

any break that only vents gases up should fill your noise reduction requirement.
however i doubt you can find break like that. breaks by definition have to went gases to the side to reduce felt recoil. largest portion of gas escape from the sides. up to whopping 90% depending on break design. so in the sense if you have a break with no side ports you are not really 'breaking' and therefore purposes is defeated.

however all is not lost. there is a break on the market that has a matrix of threaded holes all around. you can put set-screws into those holes and in the sense can 'tune' your break to whatever purpose you want:
- more side venting for reducing recoil
- more top venting to reduce muzzle climb
in your case you can close all side and bottom holes and leave only enough holes on top to create enough muzzle-down effect to counter muzzle rise.

http://www.predatorarmament.com/effin-a-compensator-by-ares-armor/

i hope this helps

Last edited:
I use one of their 3-gun type comps on my Stag AR. Way more range friendly.

Stag Arms 3Gun Rifle - YouTube

Don't know if it can be retrofitted, but I'd give them a call and ask.

BillO - Thanks, I will check that out.

- - - Updated - - -

any break that only vents gases up should fill your noise reduction requirement.
however i doubt you can find break like that. breaks by definition have to went gases to the side to reduce felt recoil. largest portion of gas escape from the sides. up to whopping 90% depending on break design. so in the sense if you have a break with no side ports you are not really 'breaking' and therefore purposes is defeated.

however all is not lost. there is a break on the market that has a matrix of threaded holes all around. you can put set-screws into those holes and in the sense can 'tune' your break to whatever purpose you want:
- more side venting for reducing recoil
- more top venting to reduce muzzle climb
in your case you can close all side and bottom holes and leave only enough holes on top to create enough muzzle-down effect to counter muzzle rise.

http://www.predatorarmament.com/effin-a-compensator-by-ares-armor/

i hope this helps

mike - Yeah that helps a lot. I will check it out. The brake I have on the Stag is pinned so i'm sure it can be changed.... good info, thanks.

Linear or a Troy Claymore. All the holes in the front so most of the noise is projected forwards. Someone will chime in that is doesnt help reduce muzzle rise... Its a 223 they dont recoil alot anyways, if you are not using it in 3 gun or some competition and dont have to shave 3 thousandths off your splits then you may want to look into either comp.

2) do its intended job and compensate for rise
3) and most importantly reduce the noise as much as possible...

You can't have both [smile]

I have a levang linear comp, which is probably the most "quiet" you can get, but it doesn't help much in the compensation department.

Whatever you do, don't buy the SJC Titan. It's an awesome compensator, but it's insanely loud.

I would have to agree on all counts here. The SJC Titan is awesome as a compensator (maybe the best out there?) but people to the sides of you will hate it. I like it though.. It's worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom