• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle brake

Asaltweapon

NES Member
My SBR has a flash hider but I really prefer a muzzle brake. Knowing everyone owns the "best" brake because it's the one they own and opinions are like . . .

Who makes the better brakes? Have an adjustable gas block should it matter.

OP- I'm not following your question. there's a muzzle device out there to push the blast any direction you want to get the best (or worst) of Newton's 3rd law. on an SBR any change in blast to sides or back will be that much more painful in terms of sound/blast.

personally for anything running a nonmagnified optic I prefer to run a linear compensator like a troy claymore. this does zero to mitigate muzzle rize but do get the blast pushed forward which is infinitely more pleasant for the shooter. near zero blast is perceived. the flip side is that recoil is slightly more so this would be a poor choice if using an optic over ~4x as it may disrupt the sight picture.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-muzzle-brake-556mm-ar-15-1-2-28-thread-matte

the single, double or triple chamber side-brakes are loud as shit but they drop recoil amazingly. there are a billion of them to choose from. the midwest industries one has done well for me:
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product....s+AR-15+Two+Chamber+Muzzle+Brake&groupid=4599

one of the nicest all around brakes I've found is the T2 3A comp. has just enough compensator without being abnoxious.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=X2ACompT3&name=2A+Armament™+T3+Compensator&groupid=8463

PWS works great

c01d054d10faeecc1718787e3f9f018e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want maximum reduced recoil. Don't care about the noise. My other AR15's have a Diamondhead, Phase5 and nothing. For some reason this SBR kicks but I have not done a SXS as the others are currently up north. I'm using an EOtech, no mag.

It could be in my head as today was bench shooting and dialing in only. The recoil just felt strong. Last shooting event was pit style on steel while standing 2 weeks ago so its not like I haven't been my normally inactive shooting self.

Thank you to the others for things to look at. SBR is threaded and staying that way (no welding any stupid pin). I don't mind spending any money, just trying to avoid a box of useless unhappiness.

Last edited:
I'm running a PWS on my Bergara LRP in 308. It is a large and heavy compensator but works VERY well and brings recoil way down. it's a 5 oz muzzle device which for me is a deal-breaker on most setups.
http://www.primaryarms.com/pws-precision-rifle-compensator-5-8x24-308-3prc58c1

another good choice is the POF triple port brake. also works very well.
https://pof-usa.com/shop/upgrades-accessories/muzzle-brake-triple-port-p308/

as mentioned earlier, if the recoil feels strong on a 308 gas gun, my first move would be an adjustable gas block. getting a DI 308 gun to cycle smooth and reliably almost always requires dialing in the quantity of gas especially since these guns are so far from standardized like a 5.56 DI. between an adjustable gas block and a decent compensator one can achieve incredibly gentle and smoother operating 308. I like the SLR rifleworks adjustable block because it has very positive detents and don't have to worry about it doing anything funny, but there are many other good choices.

Last edited:
Visit precisionrifleshooters.com blog. There are a series of evaluations the did on flash hiders and muzzle brakes. IIRC large bore evaluation was done with .308 AR. They rank them by recoil reduction, sound enhancement, muzzle movement from zero, etc.

best for recoil reduction had highest increase in perceived loudness. Reverse held true.

I was most interested in minimizing muzzle movement, that was won be JP Recoil eliminator which was middle of pack for recoil reduction, still like 40% reduction.

Give it a read and make your own fact based decision based on trade offs you are willing to make.

I use a Lantac Dragon on my stuff. It's expensive but shooting my .308 is like shooting a .223 and a .223 is seriously like shooting a 10/22

I have BCM Gunfighters on my AR's. Very happy with them. I just installed SEI USCG's on two M14's. Haven't finished the builds yet, but have heard terrific things about them.

My Armalite AR10T SS barrel will be needing a brake. Its a 100% bench gun for me that doesn't see the light of day very often. In my search I found a few nice options in stainless to go with that barrel.

I have the PWS and it's one of my favorites. Just shot a 3 gun last weekend with it. I should try in on an SBR but for now that's using a VG6 Gamma.

I second the Precision Armament. I was impressed with the results on my .308 build.
Just ordered one for 5.56 for 3gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best brake for keeping the muzzle down and reducing recoil is the ones used by 3 gun shooters.

The Miculek brake is the best bang for the buck. Its $40 from Brownells with a 03 FFL discount.

The PWS is nice that its not very loud, but it is nowhere near as effective as some large loud ones like the SJC Lund.
It cost $90 but has made my M16 an amazing shooter. I've been told by everyone that shoots it that it is the best shooting MG they have ever shot.

720-001_sjc_comp223_small.jpg

What do y'all think of the VG6 Precision Epsilon 556 Muzzle Device? Also, it is listed as a Muzzle brake / devise. Is it Massachusetts legal? I have one and just want to make sure it is okay to use. Thx!! I'll send a few PMs too....

Had to look up this post as I forgot what I bought. The PWS 5.56/223 with shim kit is what I installed. It worked very well for me so I didn't try the POF. Guess I'll start building another gun.
My SBR is nick named my Obama Gun and the AR9 is my Maura gun.

Must.
Make.
More.

SJC Titan... lmao.. do they make a 308 version of that?

It aint the noise btw.. after a point, the noise actually becomes a physical concussion... lol

What do y'all think of the VG6 Precision Epsilon 556 Muzzle Device? Also, it is listed as a Muzzle brake / devise. Is it Massachusetts legal? I have one and just want to make sure it is okay to use. Thx!! I'll send a few PMs too....

there is no MA legality test for brakes, so you have fun with that... and batfe stopped testing them (for their standard) many years ago.

SJC Titan... lmao.. do they make a 308 version of that?

It aint the noise btw.. after a point, the noise actually becomes a physical concussion... lol

The titan is amazing. Its the only brake I've found that is appreciably better than a $35 Miculek brake. Everything else is just bling.
And, yes, they have a .308 version. I put one on a rifle I put together that I was going to use in 3 gun heavy metal. Its very effective.

One other general comment. The shorter the barrel, the more effective the brake is. The effectiveness is based on what's called "uncorking pressure". In other words, what is the pressure in the barrel behind the bullet as it exits the barrel. The shorter the barrel, the higher the pressure.

The higher pressure at uncorking, the more energetic the gas is that the brake redirects. The more energy, the more "push" the brake provides.

A great article on this:
Barrel Length Studies in 5.56mm NATO Weapons

Something like an SJC Lund Titan brake on a 10.5" gun will actually depress the barrel lower than before the shot.

barrel5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom