Muzzle brake suggestions

racer1245

NES Member
I am overwhelmed by the choices. Someone on here sent me links to a series of tests measuring the distance the rifle pushed back compared to no break. That was helpful but does not narrow it down much.
Does anyone have suggestions for these rifles? Note I am also concerned about how loud these are since I may be shooting next to others.
5.56 16" barrel looking for a tactical style
300 BO 11" barrel same as above
5.56 20" heavy barrel longer range regular style

For 5.56 get any 2 port brake in 2-3oz weight, with some ports that look upwards. .223/5.56 does not have a lot of recoil.

I was told the Troy Claymore was a good choice if you're concerned about the folks next to you.

Lol I would be picking based on blast mitigation vs recoil mitigation. Some of the devices are horrendously bad.
What do you mean by blast? The fire/gas emitted? Correct not concerned about recoil reduction. Muzzle rise would be important.

Good point I am not really concerned about the recoil reduction.
decide for yourself how much to spend, i find most brakes in $50-$60 price range work same as in $150, but, to each his own.
in MA you may or may not be also concerned about brake to be (or not) a flash hider. there are a lot of good models out there, but the best one is the one on sale. :)

like - here - from $30 to $130.

Last edited:
I was told the Troy Claymore was a good choice if you're concerned about the folks next to you.
Looks like it would be since the ports face forward. I was wondering since the blast force is directed forward do these types increase the recoil?

What do you mean by blast? The fire/gas emitted? Correct not concerned about recoil reduction. Muzzle rise would be important.

The fact that shit like FSC556 in a confined space makes it feel like you’re getting punched in the face every time you pull the trigger.

Even on a PCC, brakes can be obnoxious. They can be loud, but I personally feel it's the pressure wave that's the most annoying part if you're shooting next to one. It's just this blast that hits you, even if you're not in immediately line of sight of the brake. This is so much a recognized issue that you see many "what's the least obnoxious muzzle brake" questions on the internet.

The one I landed on for 556 seems to often come up often as a decent compromise between OK effect and moderate blast. VG6 Gamma. Also, this place seems to have them for only $40. I paid $60 for mine. Although, I'm not familiar with this website, so YMMV.

EDITED to say: I got this for compliance purposes. If MA were free, I'd skip brakes all together in favor of a flash hider.

Even on a PCC, brakes can be obnoxious. They can be loud, but I personally feel it's the pressure wave that's the most annoying part if you're shooting next to one. It's just this blast that hits you, even if you're not in immediately line of sight of the brake. This is so much a recognized issue that you see many "what's the least obnoxious muzzle brake" questions on the internet.

The one I landed on for 556 seems to often come up often as a decent compromise between OK effect and moderate blast. VG6 Gamma. Also, this place seems to have them for only $40. I paid $60 for mine. Although, I'm not familiar with this website, so YMMV.

EDITED to say: I got this for compliance purposes. If MA were free, I'd skip brakes all together in favor of a flash hider.
5.56 has no blast, i was shooting other day at 100yds and guy 2 benches to the right had a 300 win mag with some aggressive brake - that was something, and was coming from at least 15-20 ft away, i think. blew off some stuff off my bench. i understand it helps him to maintain control, but, damn.

Can't speak to the 300BO 11", but if you feel compelled to put a muzzle break on a 16 or 20" AR, your man card needs review....

Can't speak to the 300BO 11", but if you feel compelled to put a muzzle break on a 16 or 20" AR, your man card needs review....
Most brakes in Mass are because of irrational fear of the law and most people don't want to turn the threads off the barrel or whatever.... although the faux A2 flash hider brakes with the small hole aren't too obnoxious.... lol. Cheap too

Most brakes in Mass are because of irrational fear of the law and most people don't want to turn the threads off the barrel or whatever.... although the faux A2 flash hider brakes with the small hole aren't too obnoxious.... lol. Cheap too
and those with 3 cuts on top actually help to prevent muzzle jump. i think i have that on one of uppers.
like it was said - no need to overthink that for 5.56.

Yeah, I get that. Worrying about muzzle rise, etc is the part I am highlighting here.

Barrels do exist without threads... If I had to, I would probably go the faux A2 route. Or "whatever" :)

I have spent way too much time researching different brakes. My take away:

For a pin and weld build, I would go with the VG6 GAMMA 556SL. It would still allow you to remove the gas system on most barrels (but not all)

For non-pin and weld, the VG6 556 Gamma is a good go-to in my opinion and you can usually find them around $40. They have a Gen2 out now which goes for a bit more.

On your 20" I would go with a Lantac Dragon or SureFire ProComp.

And of course, if you ever plan on getting a suppressor, than you need to factor that in too. You may want to go with a brake that is also a suppressor host.

i'm of that school of thought that when you order an upper, a bird cage comes on it. people are inclined to...and no names here...leave them on and just roll with the punch. ;) i'm also thinking the average 5.56 ar style rifle builder goes for the cool factor but on a skinflint budget. my first build, i put a battlecomp 2.0 on the end and all hell broke loose. the poor bastard on the bench beside me was shell shocked with sideways muzzle blast and noise. dust floated down onto to us from the corrugated tin roof covering the firing line. it's the little details like that the company literature don't tell you. i have a few different "devices" besides the battlecomp and birdcages but i'll tell you what my favorite one is...and still continues to be. ready? the stag arms 3g muzzle device. i saw it when it was first introduced on their 3 gun rifle, looked interesting, was sold separately at the skinflint price of under 40 bucks at inception so wham, got one. it did everything stag said. the hardest thing was sighting follow up shots quickly cause the muzzle actually recoils downward so you're sighting coming back up to target, not coming down to it. i know i'm not alone experiencing that phenomena, it's mentioned in some reviews also. but it's not cool looking, it has what i call "breaching points" out front that i don't think serve a purpose. i've always said i'd grind them off one day.

1648822284478.png

Midwest Industries 2 chamber break is about as good as it gets and they are pretty cheap, and they don't look like a goofy killy/stabby flash hider that's gonna stab you in the leg carrying the rifle on a sling, if you're worried about that type of thing.

Not my idea. Maura Healy the Mass Atty General says I must have one or else I am a felon.

I have spent way too much time researching different brakes. My take away:

For a pin and weld build, I would go with the VG6 GAMMA 556SL. It would still allow you to remove the gas system on most barrels (but not all)

For non-pin and weld, the VG6 556 Gamma is a good go-to in my opinion and you can usually find them around $40. They have a Gen2 out now which goes for a bit more.

On your 20" I would go with a Lantac Dragon or SureFire ProComp.

And of course, if you ever plan on getting a suppressor, than you need to factor that in too. You may want to go with a brake that is also a suppressor host.
Thanks for the info. No suppressors in Mass though :(

I am overwhelmed by the choices. Someone on here sent me links to a series of tests measuring the distance the rifle pushed back compared to no break. That was helpful but does not narrow it down much.
Does anyone have suggestions for these rifles? Note I am also concerned about how loud these are since I may be shooting next to others.
5.56 16" barrel looking for a tactical style
300 BO 11" barrel same as above
5.56 20" heavy barrel longer range regular style
If you are at all concerned about the people to your left right and behind you dont install a brake. Plain target crown.
Other than that consider the effect your after. Of the few brakes I have used the RRA standard military style brake worked well but FN load to anyone 45’ behind thevmuzzle

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Still researching and spending too much time on this but it's pretty confusing. Since I live in Mass I must have something pinned and welded to prevent me from putting something bad on the barrel. That can be a muzzle break or a compensator but not a flash hider. I ran across these and I think I am going to go with one of these. They have no function other than to comply with Mass law. Has anyone used them before? I think they will satisfy the law when pinned and welded.

What do people typically use on a 5.56 AR in free states? Is it common to have nothing or a flash hider? Suppressor?

For the 20" (longer range) I think I will get a compensator but still concerned about the blast. These look interesting. Holes are started but not completed. The user drills their own holes to tune the break/compensator to their liking. I can see drilling out several on the top and maybe 1-2 on the sides. Maybe only a little effect but also little blast.

Back
Top Bottom