Muzzle brake recommendation

I'm looking to put a muzzle brake on my Savage Axis .223. Before you guys ask, "does the recoil of a .223 bother you?" My answer would be absolutely not. I want to put a muzzle brake on as this will be my dedicated (daytime) predator rifle and would like to find a muzzle brake that may aid in reducing the muzzle jump, causing the round to strike prior to me reacquiring the target. Ideally a muzzle break that disburses the gas not only to the side, but upward as well. I'm not looking to spend much money on this but dont want a paperweight either. What do you guys recommend??

I wont be welding this as I'll likely remove it if I'm shooting next to other people at the range. According the the AWB i need to meet 2 features for it to have to be welded, and being a bolt action rifle I believe this to be legal? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

what thread does it use?
just googled it.
same as ar15 it apears.

i can recommend inexpensive MB that offers pretty good recoil reduction. it's made by stag. can be had for less that 35 actually if you look, but that's the one i'm talking about. http://www.cobratactical.com/Stag-Arms-Compensator-556-AR-15-M16_p_3295.html

Jerry Miculek DPMS comp that is one of the few very well performing brakes tat do not cost too much.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942876/dpms-muzzle-brake-miculek-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

also you might be interested in watching this vid as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put this brake on a barrel last night.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Tactical-Muzzle-Brake-556-NATO/productinfo/TR-MB/

I bought it from another NESer for cheap. It seems to get good reviews online..

hopefully will be able to try it out sometime next week.

As long it's on a bolt action rifle, AWB doesn't apply

How so called "Assault Weapons" are defined by the law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

NOTE WELL: Given (B), this means that things like PUMP and BOLT ACTION rifles are EXEMPT from the AWB.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Will likely order friday. Now to get my barrel threaded...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was curious if your Axis had a threaded barrel? So is the cost of having the barrel threaded plus the cost of the brake really worth it on a bolt action rirfle.

I mean it's a bolt action. How quick of a follow up shot can one make?

Your essential going to make the firearm louder for no real gain.

I'm not so much going to follow up shots as apposed to see where the hit goes or misses. I never looked in to anything like this, idk what it would cost to thread my barrel

Before you blow this off, I tried a Stag 3G comp when they first came out. It was 40 bucks and looked interesting. I use battle comps exclusivly. This 3G pushes the barrel down so you come back up onto your target. Just something to look into. I had ADCO in Ohio permanently mount it for me. I don't find it too loud either.

I'm not so much going to follow up shots as apposed to see where the hit goes or misses. I never looked in to anything like this, idk what it would cost to thread my barrel

figure at least $100, probably closer to $150
I'd give Dark Horse or Swift River Gunworks a call and get a quote from them.

Before you blow this off, I tried a Stag 3G comp when they first came out. It was 40 bucks and looked interesting. I use battle comps exclusivly. This 3G pushes the barrel down so you come back up onto your target. Just something to look into. I had ADCO in Ohio permanently mount it for me. I don't find it too loud either.

Your post is a bit confusing in the manner in which it is written. Which are you recommending the BC, or the Stag 3G? In one line you say you use the BC "exclusively", but then describe the attributes of the 3G - I think... so it's confusing.

figure at least $100, probably closer to $150
I'd give Dark Horse or Swift River Gunworks a call and get a quote from them.

I know a couple people at dark horse. I'll shoot him a text. All in all doing this would be cheaper than a heavy barrel Id imagine

Your post is a bit confusing in the manner in which it is written. Which are you recommending the BC, or the Stag 3G? In one line you say you use the BC "exclusively", but then describe the attributes of the 3G - I think... so it's confusing.
Sorry, meant I always put BC's on my AR's (3 of them) before Stag put out the 3G. The 3G looked interesting, put it on a build I was doing and really liked it. I'd use the 3G again if the need arises, I like it that much. I think the Stag works as advertised, keeps muzzle jump way down.

i've stuck w BCM gunfighter brakes and had good experience w them. they do increase sound though, which is kinda expected when venting gas laterally.

As a predator hunting rifle, I'm concerned about muzzle jump first, noise second. In my experience the coyotes, even when they can hear the blast, will only run a short ways stop to see what just happened to their pal. This is why I want the muzzle to control - for those #2 coyotes than tend to hang around.

Are there relatively quiet brakes? Seems like just loud and extremely loud.
I think your right, just varying degrees of loud and louder. The Battle Comps, super loud it seems, people have been know to pack up and move away from my shooting position sometimes. The 3G I mentioned, not so loud but still.... I don't have much experience with the other brands to make a comparison. I've eyed the BCM, would like to shoot one sometime.

Sorry, meant I always put BC's on my AR's (3 of them) before Stag put out the 3G. The 3G looked interesting, put it on a build I was doing and really liked it. I'd use the 3G again if the need arises, I like it that much. I think the Stag works as advertised, keeps muzzle jump way down.

Thanks, that makes sense now!

Back
Top Bottom