Muzzle brake altered?

OK first it wasnt me! And I think its not only illeagal but wrong for accuracy..

Was at the range today and noticed the guy next to me did something really wierd. He took his Midevil brake and drilled out the muzzle part of it to 1/2 inch compleately opening it up. I didnt say anything or ask him why, Figured it wasnt any of my buissness, but I have to think to myself that this has to be illeagal altering it . I know it was homemade, and he left a little 32 of an inch rim of it but he clearly did this on his own. I have no plans of ever doing this reguardless my issue with is it purely is this leagal to do?

Last edited:
Maybe he was trying to make it quieter by letting more gas out the front rather than the side? I doubt it would make much difference with regard to accuracy. (It's not a great comp anyway.)

If drilling it turned it from a compensator into a flash hider it's probably technically illegal. With that said, MA doesn't seem to know the difference between a banana split and a flash hider anyway, so it's really anyone's guess.

Could have been the midevil flash hider looks like the same thing as the brake with an open "muzzle".

You should have checked if his rifle was preban, and then checked his magazines while you were at it.

You should have checked if his rifle was preban, and then checked his magazines while you were at it.

4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpg

Could have been the midevil flash hider looks like the same thing as the brake with an open "muzzle".

and make sure he doesn't load more than 5 rounds in the mag or god forbid rapid fires [shocked]. 3-5 seconds between shots only [thinking]

Last edited:
OK first it wasnt me! And I think its not only illeagal but wrong for accuracy..

Was at the range today and noticed the guy next to me did something really wierd. He took his Midevil brake and drilled out the muzzle part of it to 1/2 inch compleately opening it up. I didnt say anything or ask him why, Figured it wasnt any of my buissness, but I have to think to myself that this has to be illeagal altering it . I know it was homemade, and he left a little 32 of an inch rim of it but he clearly did this on his own. I have no plans of ever doing this reguardless my issue with is it purely is this leagal to do?

There is no real definition of what separates a flash hider from a brake. The legality is completely up to the a**h*** with the badge making he decision. Kind of like your licensing scheme. From just the stand point of machining you're own parts or modifying them certainly is not illegal in and of itself.

No it wasnt a preban. I know that for sure. As for acc, well I just figured that by having the little ridge on the inside just might cause some harmonic diff in the bullet leaving the muzzle. I know it wasnt a Midevil flashhider cuz I have one, That is why I noticed that it was "off" from the start.

I know mass has the most obscure laws going, it was just out of personal intrest why I was asking.

Last edited:
maybe he's like a modern day Rodin and can sculpt a silencer from a brake with a dremel

or more likely he's just some guy that likes to tinker with his brake

either way, good for him. you should have asked him and then you'd know!

No offense intended but "Figured it wasnt any of my buissness," you should have stuck with that. 6 months ago I was at the club shooting when another member was checking the date stamps on my M4 mags. Pissed me off to no end, first thing in my mind was wtf is this newbie LEO looking to make his bones on club members. Like Grandma said "If it aint yours dont touch it, if they didnt tell you dont ask". After that episode nobody from the club that I shoot with trusts him.

No offense intended but "Figured it wasnt any of my buissness," you should have stuck with that. 6 months ago I was at the club shooting when another member was checking the date stamps on my M4 mags. Pissed me off to no end, first thing in my mind was wtf is this newbie LEO looking to make his bones on club members. Like Grandma said "If it aint yours dont touch it, if they didnt tell you dont ask". After that episode nobody from the club that I shoot with trusts him.

QFT

I said nothing, my mistake. But he put it down as soon as I looked at him. He had many "tells" of a nosey LEO too many, he put it dowm when i caught him and he walked away. He started picking up my brass and was not even shooting at the time. And then he was gone......

Back
Top Bottom