Must C&R purchase file F-10

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I've read a few threads here that make me think if I purchase a C&R firearm, an F-10 form needs to be submitted to the state.

Can anyone verify this. Is that the correct process, or is it legal to purchase, exchange copies of C&R, and NOT file an F-10

Thanks

Bill

OK, I used the search and found LenS explaining it pretty clearly. He has pre addressed envelopes for ALL his C&R buys. I guess that pretty much tells it all.

Good thing I haven't bought anything yet, except from an in state dealer who filled out the form.

If I am still incorrect on this, I hope someone will tell me.

Thanks again

Last edited:
No, what I posted is indeed what is required by law. Confirmed with Chief Ron Glidden, CHSB and EOPS. The FA-10 is done as a "Registration" instructions, are on the form cover sheet.

Thank you Len!

Len, when I file an F-10 form when I purchase a C&R firearm, what do I put where it asks for buyers license, my LTC or my C&R? (I also have an FID)

Thanks, sorry I'm being a pest.

Last edited:
Be warned that there are some dealers out there that are telling people that having a C&R is like having an 01 FFL and your book is all you have to fill out.

Not true, you do need to also fill out a FA-10 as well as filling out your bound book. If you're audited, be sure to have both.

Be warned that there are some dealers out there that are telling people that having a C&R is like having an 01 FFL ...

Technically that part is correct correct, but it's also seriously misleading. Massachusetts gun laws never make a distinction between persons who have and FFL (01, 07 or anything else) and those who don't. If the feds did away with all FFL's tomorrow, not one thing would change with respect to Massachusetts laws. The confusion comes about because we're in the habit if equating "dealer" with "FFL holder". All dealers have to have 01-FFL's, because they're "in the business" of selling firearms, but not everybody who has an FFL (any type) is necessarily a "dealer" under Massachusetts law. Only those who are licensed by the state to sell firearms fall into this group, and the distinctions between "dealers" and everybody else are based on whether or not one has a Massachusetts dealer license.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom