Museums versus Private Collectors

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
museums are just as bad as "collectors" it just gets stuffed in box locked away in a wharehouse to be forgotten. Just Museums may keep slightly better records.
Just look at what sprinfield armory museum has become

museums are just as bad as "collectors" it just gets stuffed in box locked away in a wharehouse to be forgotten. Just Museums may keep slightly better records.

I believe a curator of SA is a member on here, hopefully he can chime in. He mentioned exactly what Ian mentioned and I saw myself: the real collection isn't visible to the public.

I believe a curator of SA is a member on here, hopefully he can chime in. He mentioned exactly what Ian mentioned and I saw myself: the real collection isn't visible to the public.

This.

Museums aren't just for display and education. They also serve as archives. Any well-established museum has a LOT more stuff than they display at any given moment.

Can you explain this? I have never been, so if I went today, what would be different than if I went 10-15-or 20 years ago?
I remember reading a thread on here where a group of guys had a private tour from a member here, and there were shown some of their stuff that wasn't normally on display.......

Can you explain this? I have never been, so if I went today, what would be different than if I went 10-15-or 20 years ago?
I remember reading a thread on here where a group of guys had a private tour from a member here, and there were shown some of their stuff that wasn't normally on display.......

I went in 2017. The display is basically one floor about the size of a one bedroom apartment. Half the display is guns, half the display is machine tools. While some very cool stuff like MG42s and a FG42 is on display, plus racks of SA-made and foreign service rifles, the whole facility is bigger than most colleges. A portion of the original armory is in fact a technical or community college.

When I went as a kid it was basically a factory tour , depending on how long you wanted to stay and walk around. Just about everyone then had worked in the factory. One year dad and I spent about 3 hours there and im sure if my dad asked , hey can we go here or where did they do this They would have brought us. Seeing the large forging machines was impressive.

If you think a museum is a better place for your military arms you don’t really love them.

Back
Top Bottom