Museums versus Private Collectors

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
museums are just as bad as "collectors" it just gets stuffed in box locked away in a wharehouse to be forgotten. Just Museums may keep slightly better records.
Just look at what sprinfield armory museum has become

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
museums are just as bad as "collectors" it just gets stuffed in box locked away in a wharehouse to be forgotten. Just Museums may keep slightly better records.

I believe a curator of SA is a member on here, hopefully he can chime in. He mentioned exactly what Ian mentioned and I saw myself: the real collection isn't visible to the public.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I believe a curator of SA is a member on here, hopefully he can chime in. He mentioned exactly what Ian mentioned and I saw myself: the real collection isn't visible to the public.

This.

Museums aren't just for display and education. They also serve as archives. Any well-established museum has a LOT more stuff than they display at any given moment.

Nick Leduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Can you explain this? I have never been, so if I went today, what would be different than if I went 10-15-or 20 years ago?
I remember reading a thread on here where a group of guys had a private tour from a member here, and there were shown some of their stuff that wasn't normally on display.......

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you explain this? I have never been, so if I went today, what would be different than if I went 10-15-or 20 years ago?
I remember reading a thread on here where a group of guys had a private tour from a member here, and there were shown some of their stuff that wasn't normally on display.......

I went in 2017. The display is basically one floor about the size of a one bedroom apartment. Half the display is guns, half the display is machine tools. While some very cool stuff like MG42s and a FG42 is on display, plus racks of SA-made and foreign service rifles, the whole facility is bigger than most colleges. A portion of the original armory is in fact a technical or community college.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
When I went as a kid it was basically a factory tour , depending on how long you wanted to stay and walk around. Just about everyone then had worked in the factory. One year dad and I spent about 3 hours there and im sure if my dad asked , hey can we go here or where did they do this They would have brought us. Seeing the large forging machines was impressive.

Top Bottom