Murphy's Law - TV just died....

mousegunfan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It's the back light. Take a flashlight and shine it on the screen and you will see. My TV, a Sharp, did this a month ago.

These back lights are like the old Christmas lights if one goes out all the lights wont work.

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it’s one of the power supply filter caps. They used under rated components and over time the swell up and short out. Same thing happened to mine a few years ago. I managed to fix it myself but it died again so it went into the trash.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We have a Sony flat screen going on 10+ years. Never has failed and still clear as a bell. I never hear positive things of LG on any of their products.
Our LG died too after like 5 years.

We love our TCL in the bedroom, 43" S405. The built-in Roku is a nice feature.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
We have a Sony flat screen going on 10+ years. Never has failed and still clear as a bell. I never hear positive things of LG on any of their products.
Had 2 Sony’s and many friends turned me onto them. Great picture? Yes. They were 1000 more than anyone else back then. When they died went Samsung.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Had 2 Sony’s and many friends turned me onto them. Great picture? Yes. They were 1000 more than anyone else back then. When they died went Samsung.
I like Sony's in the more expensive category - their cheaper TVs are not worth the premium. Sony's tend to have great motion, Samsung struggles with motion, but most people wouldn't notice, especially if they leave on the soap opera effect.

In the cheaper arena (<$600), you get a better picture and cheaper than Sony or Samsung from TCL, Vizio or HiSense. That's what I'd go with in this size range.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I like Sony's in the more expensive category - their cheaper TVs are not worth the premium. Sony's tend to have great motion, Samsung struggles with motion, but most people wouldn't notice, especially if they leave on the soap opera effect.

In the cheaper arena (<$600), you get a better picture and cheaper than Sony or Samsung from TCL, Vizio or HiSense. That's what I'd go with in this size range.
Both of these were over 2500 about 15 years ago. I’m done with them no matter what.

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Jeez took 28 posts for the " shoot it " post . NES we are slipping.
Guess it's the lack of manadonock shoots .

Sucks that usually the best answer is just replace it.

I wonder if they are going to be charging extra because corona delays like they do with tariffs on a lot of stuff now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like new TV's have all kinds of price ranges and size and you probably could buy a 55" for $300 if you look around. We bought a Sony 55" a little over a year ago after comparing in store to everything else. It wasn't cheap although we got it on Black Friday but the picture continues to wow me.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
a life story for what it's worth, my experience.

shopping for a tv a few years ago, instead of walking in to a store and doing the usual "point & grunt" i scanned online local stores selection and prices. i knew pretty much what i wanted and a store was having a sale so i printed the web page and headed down. the tv was on sale alright but the price was higher in store. about 600 bucks higher. the manager got involved, showed the online advertised price, he went on the website himself and honored the lower price. moral of story...your printer is your friend! [laugh]

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I got one of those beginner kits in 1982 or 83 or so from You Do It on 128. Had designs on doing a Heathkit if I could figure it out. I bought 4 of those F'ers and could not teach myself to solder properly. I had zero patience. I was 13, so that had a lot to do with it. LOL.

Heathkit was a pretty cool setup for electronics. Haven't heard that name in years.

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents have a Sony; bought way before I got my Samsung and it still works....

Top Bottom