Murphy's Law - TV just died....

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked fine yesterday but I tried to turn it on today and nothing happened. Finally, (I use an LG sound bar), the box was on but the TV screen remained black and yet I could still hear Fox news going. Unfortunately, I can't get a picture anymore. I just worked with Comcast so it doesn't appear to be anything not working but my TV.

I'd like something with good audio speakers, picture and outlets. Any suggestions in the 35"/40" range? Anyone know of a store that would provide setup?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this day and age, 35-40" televisions are dirt cheap. You can get a solid offering for $250-300. Hell, even the higher end of that size range is still sub $500. But because there are a zillion options, it's kind of hard to suggest one. It also depends on your needs. Are you a movie buff who wants the best picture? Are you playing games on it and need upper end response times? Do you care about "smart" features? Do you just want a plain TV?

The only thing I'd suggest across the board is to make sure it's 4K. You may not even use 4k right away (or at all), but it won't drastically increase the price at this size range and will give you a "future proof" piece of mind if that's something you end up being interested in the future.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i can top that! went down cellar to do laundry, found a pipe leaking. gotta find a plumber or gorilla tape somewhere.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is it LG brand TV? If so the exact same thing happened to me. 1 week before warranty expired. The screen was shot. They had to replace it, sent a guy in and he put a new screen on. Been ok for 6 months now. Won’t buy an LG TV again. Took them two weeks and a LOT of phone calls to get them in gear

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Samsung and done. Got 5 of them from 32 to 55 and all have been flawless.

Oh and I just left the dump after dropping off a dryer. Howie at Hunter Appliance pulls thru once again for a Speed Queen replacement on Saturday.

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it LG brand TV? If so the exact same thing happened to me. 1 week before warranty expired. The screen was shot. They had to replace it, sent a guy in and he put a new screen on. Been ok for 6 months now. Won’t buy an LG TV again. Took them two weeks and a LOT of phone calls to get them in gear
Samsung Smart TV

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It worked fine yesterday but I tried to turn it on today and nothing happened. Finally, (I use an LG sound bar), the box was on but the TV screen remained black and yet I could still hear Fox news going. Unfortunately, I can't get a picture anymore. I just worked with Comcast so it doesn't appear to be anything not working but my TV.

I'd like something with good audio speakers, picture and outlets. Any suggestions in the 35"/40" range? Anyone know of a store that would provide setup?
Make sure you unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Did you try all the inputs, no picture on any?

TVs are so light now, and super easy to set up. Best bang for the buck would be from TCL, Hi-Sense or Vizio. If you got money to burn then Sony. I wouldn't touch Samsung or LG (except the LG OLEDs).

Choctaw

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From a Samsung help page;

If you do not see a picture but have sound.

First off this issue can be coming from a few things. Your source is causing issues, your cable is causing an issue, a setting is causing an issue, ECT. Please do the following and see if it helps.

First see if you can open up your menu by pressing the menu button. If this menu pops up, you are having and issue with the source. Try a different source and cable that is connecting the source. If you have this issue on all sources, please try a factory reset on this TV.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Samsung Smart TV
Just stay away from Samsung washing machines, ours is 4 years old and becoming so rusted that after this mess, we will find one from CL. The old GEs are easy to work on and last forever.
From Bjs.
Samsung UN50NU6950 50" 4K UHD Smart LED TV with 3-Year Warranty
Item: 191325 Model: UN50NU6950FXZA

(1015)

1585250324273.png

$329.99
Save $100

Sweeney

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not being a wiseguy, but did you try unplugging it, and plugging it back in? I ask since one of my TVs periodically "shuts off" when I put it on and my remote will not start it again. I have to unplug then plug it back in and then it will work with the remote. It happens randomly.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Rescue tape.
just got back. i remember why i don't go to that hardware store anymore. the old lady that works there (older than me) is so freakin' cranky she makes jack and skysoldier look like little mary sunshine. got gorilla tape and t-rex tape. one should work, it says waterproof sealer. just gotta buy a couple days.

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being a wiseguy, but did you try unplugging it, and plugging it back in? I ask since one of my TVs periodically "shuts off" when I put it on and my remote will not start it again. I have to unplug then plug it back in and then it will work with the remote. It happens randomly.
Well, this is what I did when it didn't start. I looked at the plug adapter that I have everything plugged into: got a new one, plugged everything back in. The most I could do was get sound. Tried Comcast, they sent signals that didn't resolve the black screen, shut everything down again, unplugged the cable, waited - plugged it back in and tried again with the same results. It's gone - probably the "lamp" in the TV so I need a new one. I'm looking at 35-43" max screen as this is for my bedroom. Hopefully I can find something on the low end now that the prices have come down. Just need a good HD Smart TV...maybe Sony (my parents' TV is still working - brought way before my Samsung and it's still kicking) - or I might just get another Samsung. Ideally I'd like to find a store that offers set up service and right now the chat feature for Walmart and Best Buy isn't available.

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Best Buy isn't available
Best Buy sent out an email a few days ago saying they cancelled all setups for the near future. I wish I knew of someplace else that may come to your place, but you may be stuck trying to find a friendly neighbor.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? I'm betting it is old enough to be edge lit and the CCFL gave out. That's why you could hear it but not see it. The image was technically there. Just no back light to show it to you.

Still, even though that's in the realm of DIY repair, at this price point for a new one, it wouldn't be worth it.

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Buy sent out an email a few days ago saying they cancelled all setups for the near future. I wish I knew of someplace else that may come to your place, but you may be stuck trying to find a friendly neighbor.
Or my computer tech...but I think this will need to wait until things are "back to normal." At least my computer and hearing aids haven't broken so I should be able to ride this out...and any day out of the office is a good day as long as my parents are healthy and well. Got to thank God for the little things here....

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had this happen! And I think it was an LG actually!

Find the power button and press and hold until it all goes off. Wait a minute and then power back up using the power button.

Top Bottom