Multiple victims in Oxford High School shooting, Oakland County Sheriff confirms

VERY interesting reporting this morning: the superintendent, Tim Throne, is saying the principal and assistant principal were NOT INVOLVED in the decision to send the kid back to class.

Meaning, there was never a possibility to search the bag. One of those two would have been the ones to authorize that, at least here in MA. I'm guessing it's similar in MI.

Apparently, the entire incident was handled by "counselors." The reporting I've read leaves it unclear just what kind of counselors those were; not all school counselors are created equal. Many schools have "guidance counselors" (whose "counsel" is about what classes to take next year) and "adjustment counselors" (who do a lot more of what laymen would think of as "counseling").

From the sound of what I'm seeing, it seems to me that Oxford's version of adjustment counselors bear most of the responsibility here. They had him out of class for an hour and a half while the parents came in, had the meeting, and then wanted to send him home. Mom and Dad refused outright, saying they had to get back to work. The choice was to send him home to an empty house, or let him go back to class, so back to class he went.

Throne says the kid was calm and polite the entire time, quietly doing his science homework in the counselor's office, claiming the drawings were about a video game he was designing (a lot of students are into that shit, and adults buy it because they have no clue what the kids are talking about). He presumably had the gun in his bag that entire time. Throne, again, is saying the principal/AP weren't involved in any of these decisions.

As a guy who spends his working life at a public high school, everything I've just written sounds very credible to me. Every school is different, with a different culture and different roles and responsibilities for the grown-ups. My school would never, ever leave that situation solely in the hands of Guidance or the Adjustment Counselor; I think our counselors would have let the principal know when they pulled the kid from class, and certainly when the parents were told to come in. But my school is not every school.

But, to the point of my (and others') recent posts the last day or so, the TL;DR takeaway is that without administrator involvement, a bag search was probably never in the cards.
"The morning of the shooting that left four dead and seven injured they talked to his parents about drawings Ethan was making in class about murder and suicide, superintendent Tim Thorne reportedly wrote. “The student was immediately removed from the classroom and brought to the guidance counselor’s office where he claimed the drawing was part of a video game he was designing and informed counselors that he planned to pursue video game design as a career,” Thorne told parents, “At no time did counselors believe the student might harm others based on his behavior, responses and demeanor, which appeared calm.”

At some point, one has to wonder what it would take for councilors to believe a student might harm others…the "powers" schools claim from in loco parentis status and policies are quite useless if not exercised. In this case, the school is trying to cover butt and put all blame on the parents.

School shootings by students within school buildings, where the most access control and oversight can be applied, are rare events. Maybe schools in sh*thole cities see gang-related shootings more frequently outside building. There might be one or two schools that have ever experienced 2+ such indoor shootings - unfortunately, it can’t be judged whether schools really do up their game after a shooting or if rare x 2 is just too rare to happen.

The more I hear about this, the more I'm surprised the school didn't search the kid's bag before letting him back to class. They were well within their rights to do so. I suspect my principal would have, but maybe not.

The latest is that the parents were notably unhelpful and dismissive of the school's concerns (which is par for the course on a number of issues) that morning, but if they told the school about the gun (which I doubt) there's NO excuse for not searching the backpack. If they didn't... well. It's a judgement call by the principal, who is certainly beating himself up now about not doing the search.

I'd be curious about whether the parents had a reputation for litigiousness with the schools. Some do.

If you start digging into that school it's a dumpster fire, this kid was one of like a half dozen problems in there that the admin retards did nothing about.

Problem is, if they had searched the backpack, based on the known pre-shooting facts and DIDN'T find a gun, 1/2 of this forum would have exploded in 'those Nazis' posts towards the administrators. That 1/2 number might be a little low.

Given that theres long standing precedent for schools as prisons (more or less) doubt.

How would red flags be sold based on this crime? The kid didn’t own the gun and red flagging him wouldn’t do a thing. Legislature in Michigan is GOP controlled, I doubt anything is passed.

Lol remember that incident in VT? Where they red flagged a grandfather because they thought his grandson might shoot up a school? That's what the red flag fags want, wholesale.

Fear for their safety? lol. They withdrew $4;000 Friday and were hiding out with their phones turned off. They could have surrendered at any police station, they’re morons. If they surrendered they would have gotten a much lower bail.
If they'd left the phone ON but stashed them on a truck or something on the interstate, then gone the other way with burner phones, they might have MADE it to Canada!

It does sound like the parents are as stable as their kid, but I'm still not convinced they "technically" broke any laws until they tried to make a run for it. I'm pretty sure that part is a no no regardless of their guilt/innocence in the rest of it

It's possible mommy never quite realized at least consciously what what going on and daddy could have been too p whipped to take a stand. Just stuck his head in the sand...

Or they conspired with the boy and gave him protective cover at the school meeting so he could waste his fellow kids later... Who knows?

Well, in at least one case, the parent was the first victim. The Florida case, the 'kid' was 18 or 19 and technically an adult. This is the first one in a while where the shooter was an actual person most would consider a 'child'. I don't know of any recently, where's there's absolute evidence the parents bought the shooter a gun either. Not saying the evidence exists, but if the reports are true it's a different situation than the others in that instance. Just looking at it from as far away as I can get with kids in a school.

I also keep in mind, more people win the lottery every year than there are actual random 'school shootings'.

Meanwhile, since this shooting, about half a dozen kids and well over a hundred adults have died in drunk driving "accidents".

But gunz are scarier and so many people drive drunk anyway, "they" get better advertising dollars from pushing the gun agenda than the other ...

Meanwhile, since this shooting, about half a dozen kids and well over a hundred adults have died in drunk driving "accidents".

But gunz are scarier and so many people drive drunk anyway, "they" get better advertising dollars from pushing the gun agenda than the other ...
Like I said, more people have won the Lotto this year than died in this incident.

I'm all for arming teachers, knowing that the absolute vast, overwhelming majority will be more likely to ND than save a school.

At some point, one has to wonder what it would take for councilors to believe a student might harm others…the "powers" schools claim from in loco parentis status and policies are quite useless if not exercised. In this case, the school is trying to cover butt and put all blame on the parents.
I know it’s difficult to accept, but sometimes? Truly? You can’t really tell.

Added to that is a certain mindset that adjustment counselors in schools tend to have: I’ve worked with many, some good and some bad, but ALL of them want to believe the best about students. They all feel redemption is possible. They deny the belief that some kids can just be BAD. I think that’s probably a necessary mindset for that profession, but it leads to blind spots that are probably obvious to any NESer.

So when a student, who’s never been in trouble, who appears not to be in crisis, who is courteous and respectful, comes out with an explanation for why he’s drawing dead bodies in class, they’re predisposed to give the benefit of the doubt. Counselors need oversight. They should not be the decision-makers.

Smells like a political persecution. More Soros DAs flexing. I hope people wake the f*** up and stop electing anyone running for DA that has any semblence of Soros $ coming in.

but I'm still not convinced they "technically" broke any laws until they tried to make a run for it. I'm pretty sure that part is a no no regardless of their guilt/innocence in the rest of it
Maybe. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the "make a run for it" story falls apart when it actually goes to court, just like the Rittenhouse case did. Their lawyer is on record saying he was in contact w/ them and they were willing to give themselves up and that the DA wouldn't return phone calls and decided to go on camera and proclaim them fugitives instead. Again, I'm not opposed to charges if there's evidence against them, but they were charged so quickly it smacks of politics/grandstanding. And of course, the media ran with it (all of the media, not just the MSM this time) Of all the things they have to worry about, I'd think making a run for it is the least of their worries.

Last edited:
Maybe. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the "make a run for it" story falls apart when it actually goes to court, just like the Rittenhouse case did. Lawyer is on record saying he was in contact w/ them and they were willing to give themselves up and that the DA wouldn't return yesterday calls to that effect and instead decided to go on camera and proclaim them fugitives. Again, I'm not opposed to charges if there's evidence against them, but they were charged so quickly it smacks of politics/grandstanding. And of course, the media ran with it (all of the media, not just the MSM this time) Of all the things they have to worry about, I'd think making a run for it is the least of their worries.
Yup, I still don't understand what Laws they broke? I watched arraignment and both lawyers stated they tried multiple times to contact Prosecutor and arrange surrender. Watched Sheriff on FOX and He stated Prosecutor never gave him heads up they were going to be charged and never communicated with him or law enforcement on her intentions. This Prosecutor is looking to make a name for herself, in her 1st presser she bitched about Michigan's "lax" gun laws. Couple's lawyers stated the gun was "secured" at home, whatever that means. Lots of very suspicious behavior on the part of Prosecutor.

Yup, I still don't understand what Laws they broke? I watched arraignment and both lawyers stated they tried multiple times to contact Prosecutor and arrange surrender. Watched Sheriff on FOX and He stated Prosecutor never gave him heads up they were going to be charged and never communicated with him or law enforcement on her intentions. This Prosecutor is looking to make a name for herself, in her 1st presser she bitched about Michigan's "lax" gun laws. Couple's lawyers stated the gun was "secured" at home, whatever that means. Lots of very suspicious behavior on the part of Prosecutor.
They broke the law of being decent human beings and if there’s evidence they aided him or should have known, charge them, lock ’em up & throw away the key. I don’t know how the prosecutor gets to that conclusion after 2 days though and the fugitive thing looks to be a manufactured nothing burger to me.

I know it’s difficult to accept, but sometimes? Truly? You can’t really tell.
I have to agree.

A friend of mine growing up when in his early twenties took leave from the Navy and "went postal" in a fast-food place where he formerly worked, shooting his ex-girlfriend and the guy he thought was her new boyfriend. (It wasn't, just the shift manager.)

We didn't see it coming. Hindsight being 20/20 we probably should have.

While most of my circle of friends went to "St. Charles" he went to the public high school we used at the time in the town next door... where he was his class president for... can't remember now if it was three or all four years. Should have been a rocket scientist (literally - that was his dream).

He is presently a guest of the Connecticut Department of Correction and probably will be for the rest of his days.

Last edited:
Well, in at least one case, the parent was the first victim. The Florida case, the 'kid' was 18 or 19 and technically an adult. This is the first one in a while where the shooter was an actual person most would consider a 'child'. I don't know of any recently, where's there's absolute evidence the parents bought the shooter a gun either. Not saying the evidence exists, but if the reports are true it's a different situation than the others in that instance. Just looking at it from as far away as I can get with kids in a school.

I also keep in mind, more people win the lottery every year than there are actual random 'school shootings'.

This one does look different if what has been reported is correct

People don’t realize how many schools there are. I think there are 120;000 schools so it’s much more likely you’ll be hit by lightning than be at a school where there was a shooting

Given that theres long standing precedent for schools as prisons (more or less) doubt.

Lol remember that incident in VT? Where they red flagged a grandfather because they thought his grandson might shoot up a school? That's what the red flag fags want, wholesale.

I wasn’t aware of the VT case. With the pending NY state rifle and pistol vs NY carry case, if the decision states clearly all 2nd amendment cases are on history, text and tradition or strict scrutiny, the red flag laws should fall very quickly. It’s truly amazing a constitutional right is taken away without due process and in your Vermont case, it’s removed from someone when they are not a threat, someone else is It’s like knowingly putting someone in prison for a crime someone else commits.

... adjustment counselors in schools tend to have: I’ve worked with many, some good and some bad, but ALL of them want to believe the best about students. They all feel redemption is possible. ... Counselors need oversight. They should not be the decision-makers.
Just wait until the next generation of woke adjustment counselors hit the streets...

You know in your bones that some real works of art are incoming,
and it's only a matter of time before they make their mark.

"Hi, I'm a journalist with the New York Times".

5wvfpk.jpg

Actually, there’s a known ~2-week copycat effect window inspired by excessive media coverage of such mass shootings. Law enforcement agencies get a memo from FBI, who are supposed to heighten vigilance for follow-on shootings.

“If I had a gun that day and the assailant entered my classroom [Majory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland, FL], I wouldn’t have had time to retrieve it. A handgun is no match for an AR-15…Lawmakers need to pass legislation to protect students, teachers and others from gun violence. The right to own and carry a gun shouldn’t outweigh the right to live peacefully and attend school safely.”

So wrong, in so many ways.

Hat tip: Instapundit co-blogger Ed Driscoll

Hat tip: Instapundit co-blogger Ed Driscoll
That parents have been accused, arrested, indicted, tried and convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the liberal media court of public opinion already - too late for exculpatory evidence.

That parents have been accused, arrested, indicted, tried and convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the liberal media court of public opinion already - too late for exculpatory evidence.
The parents were idiots. No doubt of that and in total denial. But if you are going to go after them, they should be rounding them up in Chicago and several other Dem strongholds.

Old and Busted: Learning that breaking MSM news bulletins are frequently [bs].
The New Hotness: Learning that DA news conferences are frequently [bs].

Back
Top Bottom