• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Multiple padlocks keyed alike?

I have a number of ammo boxes, pistol boxes, and gun cases that need to be padlocked. I'd love to have 10 padlocks, all keyed alike so I don't have to carry (and lose) a gazillion keys. Has anyone found such a thing?

I have a number of ammo boxes, pistol boxes, and gun cases that need to be padlocked. I'd love to have 10 padlocks, all keyed alike so I don't have to carry (and lose) a gazillion keys. Has anyone found such a thing?

I believe I picked them up at Walmart or Lowes, but I have 2 Four (4) packs of matched padlocks with the same key. The packages have a "key code" printed on them which describeds the lengths of the 5 tumbler pins so you can pick out packages that are keyed alike.

Lowes and Home Depot carry 3 or 4 packs of padlocks, all keyed alike.

You might be able to get them to special order you a dozen all keyed alike. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Any locksmith can make make multiple padlocks with the same key. The girl at the checkout register at my local True Value Hardware can make a Master padlock to match a key in about 60 seconds by sticking the key in a blank lock and then striking the shackle with a hammer. I have even had a locksmith make a padlock to match my house key. You can even get 10 locks with ten difference keys that can be opened my a single master key.

the ones I have are weatherized "Brinks" locks that are over molded with vinyl and with a cap that goes over the brass tumbler.

Lowes and Home Depot carry 3 or 4 packs of padlocks, all keyed alike.

You might be able to get them to special order you a dozen all keyed alike. Doesn't hurt to ask.

read the key codes on the box, and search through all the boxes till you find the number of locks you want with the same key code.

. I have six master locks, all with the same key. Do not remember where I got them. But at a locksmith, or a true value type hardware store you should be able to find them.

Master locks come in keyed alike sets, typically 4 packs but they can be re-keyed as well. Not sure where you'd get a set of 10. Call your local Ace hardware and if they won't do it then a locksmith. Basically you'd buy like three 4-packs then have the eight re keyed to match the other 4.

EDIT: wholly crap, that's a lot of replies in short order!

Ya my dad use to make keyed pad locks all the time at the hardware store, i think it was masterlock that had the set up to make all the locks you wanted the same

I worked at Stuarts dept stores in the 80's and 90's, and when we were opening new stores, and took over an old Caldor or some other store I changed all the locksets and stockroom padlocks to the "Best" interchangable core system. And, I was there when the company folded, working to shut the stores down and sell off the fixtures. I have all the keyed alike padlocks and doorknobs, individual keys, sub-masters, masters, and control keys I'll ever need.
There are many brands, "Falcon" is another. I think their cores and Best will fit in the same locks. A good locksmith can set you up with an interchangable core system for padlocks and every door and cabinet that you have.

Yes you can get them. My lock smith makes them all the time for me.

They have a panel that comes off to make it easy to change the cylinder that can not be removed by someone trying to get into the lock.

http://www.masterlock.com/cms/keying/rekeyable_padlocks

http://www.taylorsecurity.com/Padlocks-MasterLockPadlocks-MasterLockNo21PadlockMasterKeyed(21MK).aspx?DepartmentId=1425

Last edited:
Any locksmith can make make multiple padlocks with the same key.
Sure, they can but why bother? Any decent locksmith will have boxes of padlocks that are already keyed alike from the manufacturer. You would be nuts to pay a premium for IC padlocks unless you were planning to re-key them multiple times in the future.

I found a set of 12 keyed alike cable locks on eBay a few weeks ago. Enough to lock the hell out of stuff and still use one key - with like 23 spares.

The first thing you need to decide is if you are getting locks for legal compliance, child safety or actual security. The low end resettable combination locks are great if your primary concern is legal compliance rather than physical security.

Looks like lowes has 6-packs of Brink's 50mm laminated padlocks:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66059-50881-672-50601_0__?productId=3328004&Ntt=padlocks

look through the packages, find 2 packages with the same keycode (will have a sticker on them) and you'll have 12 identically keyed locks.

They also have 5-dial "Word Locks" that use letters instead of numbers, they're in 2-packs, so you'll need 5 sets of them.

Some people also use the 4-digit combination locks.

That's what I did with my trigger locks.

Set all the combination's to the same number (001, in case anyone wants to know), and when they're in use, I leave them displaying 000.

unless you were planning to re-key them multiple times in the future.

That's why I started getting rekeyable locks at 1st.

It was for my gun club and we changed the locks a lot so it was more cost afective to buy rekeyable locks.

I also set up two of my clubs with the "Card Lock" (the credit card looking cards) systems so we can change the gate/door locks every year.

That's why I started getting rekeyable locks at 1st.

It was for my gun club and we changed the locks a lot so it was more cost afective to buy rekeyable locks.

I also set up two of my clubs with the "Card Lock" (the credit card looking cards) systems so we can change the gate/door locks every year.

If you're going to get rekeyable locks for the club, pick up a tumbler pin set as well so you can swap out the pins yourself and save the club some money if/when the locks need to be rekeyed. Save the keys from all of the original locks you buy, and you can repin them to one of the other keys you already have.

Back
Top Bottom