Multi-Purpose Preps

Suz

So, I tend to treat my prep stores the same way I stock my herbal medicines: you don't need to know the uses of 100 different herbs, just 10 different herbs that do 100 different things.

Some of my multi-purpose preps are:

-Baking soda: toothpaste, general housecleaning, cooking, deoderant (with coconut oil), stings/bites/rashes, odor absorber (shoes), fire extinguisher

-Dr Bronner's Soap: body/hair wash, toothpaste, general house cleaning, laundry (with baking soda)

-Coconut oil: cooking, skin/hair care, sunscreen, deoderant (with baking soda), antifungal/antibacterial for wounds

-Fem pads/tampons: obviously fem needs, also first aid (nose bleeds, puncture wounds, large wound dressing), water filter.

*As a side note, these things (like baking soda as toothpaste) are things I use everyday... another of my prep "requirements". I try to store only those things I'm used to using/eating anyway so that a SHTF scenario isn't made more stressful by a new way of living/eating.

What are some of your multi-purpose stores?

Last edited:
Floss: For teeth or sewing thread, especially afield.

+1 Forgot about floss... it is good for a number of things. Just looked up some additional floss uses:

-shoe lace
-trussing poultry/tying roasts (or tying bacon around anything to be cooked!)
-fishing line

+1 Forgot about floss... it is good for a number of things. Just looked up some additional floss uses:

-shoe lace
-trussing poultry/tying roasts (or tying bacon around anything to be cooked!)
-fishing line

-"Mafia Style" piano-wire strangulations.

If using for cooking - make sure not to use that nasty teflon floss.

Why would you avoid teflon for cooking applications? It has a stable working temperature upto 500 degrees and is fire retardant. It's been effectively used in cookware and engine internals for decades.

IMO, coconut oil is just nasty. I won't cook with it, or use it for anything else. Hate the smell of it too. I question it's value as a sunscreen. It's like slathering butter on your skin and then going outside to broil in the sun. A layer (or two) of thin cotton clothing will do more for sun protection. Plus, you won't smell like you just ran away from the plantation. [shocked]

You can use honey to treat wounds far more effectively. Been done for thousands of years (before modern medicine took over). You can also mix the honey with some water, toss in a good yeast and make mead from it. After a hard day fighting off the moonbat minions, it will help you to get even more happy. If things get tight, you could even barter with bottles of it. Honey, and mead, will keep for a LONG time. So make some now and in XX years, you can open a bottle. [smile]
Garlic is a great antibacterial agent too. Plus it's epic for cooking. Eat enough and even biting bugs stay clear. Not to mention vampires and MIL's...

Flecks of ingested Teflon do terrible things to your insides.
This! A good cast iron pan will last forever anyway.

IMO, coconut oil is just nasty. I won't cook with it, or use it for anything else. Hate the smell of it too. I question it's value as a sunscreen. It's like slathering butter on your skin and then going outside to broil in the sun. A layer (or two) of thin cotton clothing will do more for sun protection. Plus, you won't smell like you just ran away from the plantation. [shocked]
To each his own. I've been using coconut oil as sunscreen for a few years... no burns, and healthy skin (and if you get the good stuff, it doesn't have a strong smell). As for cooking, it's one of the healthiest oils out there. As a medium-chain trigliceride, it burns faster like carbs rather than storing like long chain fats thus providing great instant energy. For cooking it can withstand high heats without breaking down and becoming toxic like canola oil and other vegetable oils. It's also good for keeping cholesterol in balance. Its antibacterial and antiviral properties make it a great base for herbal salves as well.

Back
Top Bottom