• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Multi-jurisdiction database gets Georgia man wrongfully arrested

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
In Georgia, concealed carry license applicants are put into a multi-jurisdiction database along with criminals. Martin Jones we arrested on a mistaken ID specifically as a result of being in that database. Now the authorities have screwed up the victim's record--for no reason.
Applying for a gun permit cost KSU student a night in jail
Forgetting his headlights wasn’t what landed him trouble. His predicament started two years earlier when, just after his 21st birthday, Jones applied for a firearms carry permit in his South Georgia hometown. The sheriff’s office in Albany added his personal information to a countywide database of names used by law enforcement to track criminal suspects, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution determined.
John Monroe, a gun rights attorney and vice president of GeorgiaCarry.org, said the Dougherty County Sheriff’s Office may have violated a 2014 state law that forbids maintaining a multijurisdictional database of people issued weapons licenses. He said he suspects other police agencies around the state are doing the same.
Documents provided by Jones’ attorney show how police searched their database for the accused man, named Martin Jones. Four people by that name turned up. One was later identified as the actual suspect. Another was Martin Montavious Jones, a Dean’s List student studying mechanical engineering at Kennesaw State, more than 200 miles away. His middle name was different from the suspect’s.

At first I didn't want my middle name on my new Real ID license.

Having it now could keep me from mistaken identity.

Back
Top Bottom