"Multi" Calibers for SBR?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Here's what I'd like to do...

I have a T/C Encore single shot rifle. The T/C Contender pistol barrels & forends will fit the action, but it then becomes an SBR.

I'd like to file a Form 1 for an SBR on my Encore, but I'd like to have the flexibility to use different barrels. Will the BATFE let me register it as a multi-caliber?

I would talk to ATF as this one is a unique beast. I am sure that they have a specific fix for this already.. I remember that these casued a lot of headaches as ATF had a lot of issues with the receiver being common to the whole platform.

But, I wonder if you are going to run into Mass issues as this has the ability to be a pistol, rifle OR shotgun.

Last edited:
Last I've heard, ATF will reject forms with "Multi" in the caliber field. However, it's really a per examiner issue. I would pick one caliber to register it in, and be done with it.

As seanc points out, it would be illegal in MA to put a shotgun barrel below 18" on the frame, regardless of its NFA status.

--EasyD

I have always wondered about that. As even with an Encore, you can buy pistol barrels and rifle barrels, and also pistol grips and a buttstock. What is to stop you from putting a pistol barrel on it when it is equipped with a buttstock(other than fear of prosecution)? I know unless it is registered as such it is still illegal, I'm just surprised the ATF hasn't messed that up yet. I figured the ATF would have made them make separate receivers for each, but I am glad they didn't as it adds a lot of versatility to the frame.

And although it would be illegal to put a shotgun barrel shorter than 18" on it, T/C doesn't make a shotgun barrel shorter than 18" so I don't think you will have a problem there. I would think you could register it as a single caliber, as even if you switch barrels the serial number will still match and should still technically be registered as a SBR, though MA may have a different view. It would not be good if they expected you to register and pay the stamp on every barrel you intended to put on it under 16.5".

Maybe give them a call and run your plan by them and see what they have to say about it, I don't think it could hurt.

Last edited:
I know unless it is registered as such it is still illegal, it just seems like it having the ability to do so contradicts the laws.

Fortunately your legal conclusion is not shared by SCOTUS. See Thompon Center vs. US, SCOTUS 1992.

At their height of popularity. There were tons of 8 or 10" 20g barrels out there for these. And also tons of people out there marketing bizare calibers. not made by TC but readily available.

I was just also questioning the Atf/ mass view of this as at least in theory, you were registering a SB/AOW readily convertible to a shotgun. if somehow that might get mired in the new official no shortie shotty fiasco.

Last edited:
Fortunately your legal conclusion is not shared by SCOTUS. See Thompon Center vs. US, SCOTUS 1992.

I don't think what I said came out saying what I wanted it to say. I only stated (or tried to) that it's strange for the ATF to allow an unlicensed person to posses the components of a SBR. I see no problem with it, as I actually think the whole SBR deal is BS and I should be able to have a barrel any length I choose on my firearms, as I don't feel it makes any difference at all how long the barrel is. Just because I have a 10" barrel on a rifle doesn't make me any more likely to commit a crime.

It just surprises me that the ATF hasn't stuck their nose in it, though I now know they have tried. Just aggravates me how they make all these laws that keep certain firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens, and then claim it's to keep them out of the hands of criminals. If nobody can buy this stuff without tax stamps and 10 miles of red tape, how do the criminals keep getting it? Why is it gang bangers have AK's and full auto Uzi's, yet I (or EC) can't have a 14" barreled hunting rifle without fee's and a major pain in the ass? They hassle the innocent, and do nothing to the guilty.

Sorry for interrupting your thread EC.

I called the NFA branch today and the examiner I talked to said to register it in one caliber/barrel length, then put additional calibers/barrel lengths in the "Additional Description" field on the Form 1. He went on to add that if I wanted to use other calibers in the future, I could send them a letter stating my intentions, and they'd send me back something to keep with the paperwork.

I think I'm going to do it.

That sounds great!

I can't remember the fine print right now - does an SBR have to start as a rifle, or could you legally SBR a Contender pistol?

See, I have this Contender pistol....and don't have an Encore rifle. [smile]

EC, out of curiosity and if you don't mind disclosing the info, what calibers are you going to have for this SBR? Sounds really cool, I hope it goes well for you.

Back
Top Bottom