1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muck boots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by headednorth, Nov 11, 2018.

1. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

I have a pair of Mucks that are 7 years old. Not sure which model, but the only time my feet were cold in them was at a bitterly cold January Patriots game after 5+ hours outside (tailgate + game + walk to&from). Arctic sports. Highly suggested.

I picked up a pair of cheap Red head neoprene boots @ Bass Pro as truck boots and they stay in the back of the vehicle from October 1 to May 1.

I had to do an unplanned trip to our NH place because the power was out and my freeze alarm was dialing me.

Drove up.....To add to this.....Our plow guy had a hydraulic line in his plow fail, so it was completely unplowed...Red heads and pair of wool socks out of my BOB....then a 1300 foot uphill walk with almost 18" of wet snow. Did fine. If you're going to be outside for brief periods the red heads are fine, but mucks if you're out in the weather.

2. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

Those are prima donna pansy assed boots. You wanna be warm, mickey mouse boots. 61UVjtHD+5L._UX625_.jpg

Dan-o likes this.
  3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

back in the day, we used thin silk socks, with heavy rag wool socks over them. that was warm!

GM-GUY and Coyote33 like this.
  4. Coyote33

Coyote33

$12 -20 for rubber boots at Walmart. Not fashionable, but I've had them maybe at least 10 years. They keep my feet warm and dry. Easy on and off.

Maxrobot likes this.
  5. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i had some really nasty muddy work to do, and i trudged right over to wally world and bought a nice set of $20 boots that had lug soles and were waterproof. Worked fine!

As far as getting muck boots, evaluate if you are going to be walking in snow. If in snow, you want a fairly aggressive tread on the bottom so you do not go flying on your azz.

6. Coyote33

Coyote33

My Walmart boots have a great sole. They are the equivalent of the old school lug tires. WAY better than my work boots or hiking boots or any other boots I have. I really should buy the next size up, as they are a bit tight with thick socks.

7. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Bought son Walmart insulated boots 3-4 years ago. The soles are thin enough I can feel sharp objects through the sole. They’re also 15” versus 18. Took them to Boston for snow throwing.

8. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

I have the Arctic Pro that I use for ice fishing. In my opinion they're the best boots I've ever owned for ice fishing. I also use them for snow blowing etc. You can't go wrong with a pair of these boots.

JayMcB likes this.
  9. robjax

robjax NES Member

So now I am having an issue finding quality. I have decided it is time to retire my Sorel Caribou winter boots with a work boot soul. One of the boots has a small split at the base letting in the smallest amount of water. It's not a big deal for this year as I have no plans to discard them before the end of this winter but I do need a new pair. I was thinking of trying to repair them. But the wife thinks I am out of my brain for even considering that since I bough the boots from the Maynard Outdoor Store in 1993. They were $100.00. Of course I replaced the liners several times over the years.

I was at Cabelas yesterday and saw a new pair of Sorel Caribou boots. They are now $150.00 and if they were to last 25 years then that is well worth it. I just do not think the quality is the same. They changed the bottom of the soul so now is has rounded bumps like on a pimple ball....only larger. I do not see how those would grip on a slippery surface like a work boot.

Anyway I happened on this thread to see what the rest of you thought. Seems like I still have some Shopping to do.