• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MTV's True Life focusing on gun owners this week.

derek said:
C-pher said:
Thanks Len, our internet nazis...errr....internet security has MTV blocked as one of the sites we can't get two through the firewall.

C-Pher let me know if they ever block the NES domain name. I will register a second name that is totally unrelated to firearms that people can use when they are at work. [twisted]

Will do, but several of us have yet to come across a firearms site that has been blocked.

Mostly sites that would create a lot of bandwidth.

derek said:
C-pher said:
Thanks Len, our internet nazis...errr....internet security has MTV blocked as one of the sites we can't get two through the firewall.

C-Pher let me know if they ever block the NES domain name. I will register a second name that is totally unrelated to firearms that people can use when they are at work. [twisted]

Will do, but several of us have yet to come across a firearms site that has been blocked.

Mostly sites that would create a lot of bandwidth.

SnakeEye said:
and yes, that girl has deeply rooted issues that a gun is never going to help solve.
drinking at a bar while in posession of a loaded firearm.....
pulling out her pistol at the ATM to show the camera crew.....
sleping in her bed with a loaded 12 gauge shotgun [shock]
plus,judging by the timeline of the show, theres no way she would have recieved her conceal carry permit in time to begin school (she told her father 45 days) and i suspect she may have been carrying illegally at the time of shooting.

Not picking on anyone's post, just an opportunity to reply.

I'm hoping that Lynne will contribute here, as she has a hell of a lot more authority on the subject (unfortunately) than I do. My source for my comments below are actually from Lynne's information in the past.

- No man is going to understand the story on this lady, we just can't fully comprehend what is in a lady's mind after they have been sexually attacked. Thus, the story as portrayed is lost on at least 1/2 the population and looks like a gross over-reaction to men.

- From personal experience (a couple of women I dated prior to meeting my Wife and a close personal friend that I used to work with many years ago), I can tell you that a sexual attack really messes up most women something fierce. They lose a lot of self-esteem, seem scared to the point of paranoia, may strike out (over-react in many ways), etc. It all looks crazy to us guys, but Lynne has taught me that the real solution is that the effected woman has to feel that they have regained control over their own lives and can protect themselves! Carrying a gun can give them that sense of security.

- When my close friend and former co-worker told us (Wife and I) that she had been raped in a T station on her way home from work one night, she had become very paranoid and jumpy. Her behavior honestly scared me. She asked me to teach her to shoot, and I blew her off because I was scared that she'd blow someone away that walked up behind her. This happened ~25 years ago, and I still feel very guilty for not helping her out when asked. It wasn't until a few years ago when Lynne explained the importance of a woman using the gun to regain control of their own life that I realized the error of my way many years ago. [Largely in an attempt to pay back that debt, I tried to help out SAS until I was told that male assistance was no longer welcome at their training sessions.]

So, as disjointed and bad as the show was to the general public, there was some logic to the former victim's behavior (at least according to Lynne). I think it was lost on 90+% of their viewing audience however.

And yes, I did get the opinion that she was carrying illegally (no permit, perhaps on a college campus - depends on their state law, it would be illegal in MA).

Overall NOT a good piece of journalism and not a good depiction of gun ownership. It did nothing good for SAS! BTW, Lennie apparently is a SAS member.

SnakeEye said:
and yes, that girl has deeply rooted issues that a gun is never going to help solve.
plus,judging by the timeline of the show, theres no way she would have recieved her conceal carry permit in time to begin school (she told her father 45 days) and i suspect she may have been carrying illegally at the time of shooting.

I'm hoping that Lynne will contribute here, as she has a hell of a lot more authority on the subject (unfortunately) than I do. My source for my comments below are actually from Lynne's information in the past.

- No man is going to understand the story on this lady, we just can't fully comprehend what is in a lady's mind after they have been sexually attacked. Thus, the story as portrayed is lost on at least 1/2 the population and looks like a gross over-reaction to men.

- From personal experience (a couple of women I dated prior to meeting my Wife and a close personal friend that I used to work with many years ago), I can tell you that a sexual attack really messes up most women something fierce. They lose a lot of self-esteem, seem scared to the point of paranoia, may strike out (over-react in many ways), etc. It all looks crazy to us guys, but Lynne has taught me that the real solution is that the effected woman has to feel that they have regained control over their own lives and can protect themselves! Carrying a gun can give them that sense of security.

- When my close friend and former co-worker told us (Wife and I) that she had been raped in a T station on her way home from work one night, she had become very paranoid and jumpy. Her behavior honestly scared me. She asked me to teach her to shoot, and I blew her off because I was scared that she'd blow someone away that walked up behind her. This happened ~25 years ago, and I still feel very guilty for not helping her out when asked. It wasn't until a few years ago when Lynne explained the importance of a woman using the gun to regain control of their own life that I realized the error of my way many years ago. [Largely in an attempt to pay back that debt, I tried to help out SAS until I was told that male assistance was no longer welcome at their training sessions.]

So, as disjointed and bad as the show was to the general public, there was some logic to the former victim's behavior (at least according to Lynne). I think it was lost on 90+% of their viewing audience however.

And yes, I did get the opinion that she was carrying illegally (no permit, perhaps on a college campus - depends on their state law, it would be illegal in MA).

Overall NOT a good piece of journalism and not a good depiction of gun ownership. It did nothing good for SAS! BTW, Lennie apparently is a SAS member.

SnakeEye said:

VA

LenS said:
Pete, not knowing VA laws, I don't know if possession of a gun where alcohol is served is legal or not. In MA, it is perfectly legal, as long as you don't get drunk.

I agree with the rest of your assessment of the show.
VA has what is commonly known as a "restaurant ban" - carry permits are invalid in any location licensed to dispense alcohol by the drink.

This has been interpreted to include the entire food court of a shopping mall if any of the vendors sells beer and the common area is an authorized consumption area.

Arizona has a simiar law. In TX, the ban applies of 51% of revenue is from alcohol sales. In FL, the ban applies in those areas for which the "primary purpose" is serving alcohol. The only such ban I know of in NE is ME, and that only applies if the bar has a posted sign.

Interestingly enough, you're not in violation of the law in MA unless you are intoxicated - in which case it does not matter where you are at the time if you are carrying.

VA

LenS said:
Pete, not knowing VA laws, I don't know if possession of a gun where alcohol is served is legal or not. In MA, it is perfectly legal, as long as you don't get drunk.

VA has what is commonly known as a "restaurant ban" - carry permits are invalid in any location licensed to dispense alcohol by the drink.

This has been interpreted to include the entire food court of a shopping mall if any of the vendors sells beer and the common area is an authorized consumption area.

Arizona has a simiar law. In TX, the ban applies of 51% of revenue is from alcohol sales. In FL, the ban applies in those areas for which the "primary purpose" is serving alcohol. The only such ban I know of in NE is ME, and that only applies if the bar has a posted sign.

Interestingly enough, you're not in violation of the law in MA unless you are intoxicated - in which case it does not matter where you are at the time if you are carrying.

VA

LenS said:

C-pher, the MTV site only works if you allow the nefarious double-click to scoop your info. Good enough reason for any business to ban it!

Rob, thanks for the explanation. Makes me glad to be in MA, even with our funky laws!

C-pher, the MTV site only works if you allow the nefarious double-click to scoop your info. Good enough reason for any business to ban it!

Rob, thanks for the explanation. Makes me glad to be in MA, even with our funky laws!

Well...I didn't watch the show, so I can't comment on that, however I will reply to Len's post.

If the girl was attacked and raped, then it's going to take a while before her brain can function normally, or close to normal. There were quite a few years between me being raped (and having the other things happen) before I actually became a gun owner. Granted, it was fear for my life that pushed me in that direction, but at that point, I didn't need much pushing. Luckily, I was just starting to date Ed at that point, and he was a gun owner, so he showed me the ropes with my rifle. It wasn't a safety course per say, but he did tell me the "do not do's".

As far as her sleeping with her gun - been there, done that. That I can understand. It was the only time I felt safe. (keep in mind at that point I was afraid of the "X" and he had a key to the house)

Len, as far as you feeling guilty about not showing the woman you know how to shoot - don't. She may not have been really ready at that point. Besides, if it was something she really wanted, she would have found someone to show her. *I* was not mentally ready after being raped, and I probably could have become dangerous in my own right because of my fear. Time and age helped to mature my responsibility level.

I have worked with women who've been attacked. I make damn sure they understand they CANNOT let paranoia rule whether or not they reach for the gun. I also make sure they are following the safety rules, and I spend more time with them than I do others.

As I said, I didn't see the show, but after reading some of the posts - keep something in mind guys... Being raped messes you up. Some women can begin to handle it better than others in a shorter amount of time, but what it does NEVER goes away. When I put in the post under training, dealing with that car that pulled up next to me - the FIRST thing that went through my mind was "rape", and I had to fight the fear that sprang back rather quickly when it was all transpiring. That's one reason why I'm so grateful that it happened because it proved to me that I could respond without freezing. You never know - NEVER KNOW - how you'll respond until a situation happens.

I hope for her sake that the woman gets her crap together and gets her life back (and in some respects I got even more back) when she realizes she doesn't have to be helpless and defenseless. Some women aren't capable of owning a gun - what's needed just isn't there. And, Len? I did turn one woman away after talking to her for a while. She just wasn't ready. And no, that didn't make me feel good, but she was not ready for that. (I did work with her for a while with the pepper spray and what to avoid, and didn't charge her for it - I also told her to try and get her bearings back a bit before I would put her through the pistol course.) When she's ready, and if she calls me, I'll give her the course for free.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt some of this needed to be said.

Well...I didn't watch the show, so I can't comment on that, however I will reply to Len's post.

If the girl was attacked and raped, then it's going to take a while before her brain can function normally, or close to normal. There were quite a few years between me being raped (and having the other things happen) before I actually became a gun owner. Granted, it was fear for my life that pushed me in that direction, but at that point, I didn't need much pushing. Luckily, I was just starting to date Ed at that point, and he was a gun owner, so he showed me the ropes with my rifle. It wasn't a safety course per say, but he did tell me the "do not do's".

As far as her sleeping with her gun - been there, done that. That I can understand. It was the only time I felt safe. (keep in mind at that point I was afraid of the "X" and he had a key to the house)

Len, as far as you feeling guilty about not showing the woman you know how to shoot - don't. She may not have been really ready at that point. Besides, if it was something she really wanted, she would have found someone to show her. *I* was not mentally ready after being raped, and I probably could have become dangerous in my own right because of my fear. Time and age helped to mature my responsibility level.

I have worked with women who've been attacked. I make damn sure they understand they CANNOT let paranoia rule whether or not they reach for the gun. I also make sure they are following the safety rules, and I spend more time with them than I do others.

As I said, I didn't see the show, but after reading some of the posts - keep something in mind guys... Being raped messes you up. Some women can begin to handle it better than others in a shorter amount of time, but what it does NEVER goes away. When I put in the post under training, dealing with that car that pulled up next to me - the FIRST thing that went through my mind was "rape", and I had to fight the fear that sprang back rather quickly when it was all transpiring. That's one reason why I'm so grateful that it happened because it proved to me that I could respond without freezing. You never know - NEVER KNOW - how you'll respond until a situation happens.

I hope for her sake that the woman gets her crap together and gets her life back (and in some respects I got even more back) when she realizes she doesn't have to be helpless and defenseless. Some women aren't capable of owning a gun - what's needed just isn't there. And, Len? I did turn one woman away after talking to her for a while. She just wasn't ready. And no, that didn't make me feel good, but she was not ready for that. (I did work with her for a while with the pepper spray and what to avoid, and didn't charge her for it - I also told her to try and get her bearings back a bit before I would put her through the pistol course.) When she's ready, and if she calls me, I'll give her the course for free.

Thanks Lynne!

I don't feel qualified to judge whether or not she was ready for a gun, but I do know that I was genuinely scared at the thought of her being armed in the state that I saw her in.

I've felt guilty ever since then, but have never discussed it with her after that time. She subsequently got married, and I have good reason to believe that she never mentioned anything about it to her Husband (knowing him, I would fully understand) and I never see her any more except in "family situations" where any serious conversation is inappropriate.

Thanks Lynne!

I don't feel qualified to judge whether or not she was ready for a gun, but I do know that I was genuinely scared at the thought of her being armed in the state that I saw her in.

I've felt guilty ever since then, but have never discussed it with her after that time. She subsequently got married, and I have good reason to believe that she never mentioned anything about it to her Husband (knowing him, I would fully understand) and I never see her any more except in "family situations" where any serious conversation is inappropriate.

Thanks Lynne!

To reply, and just to set the record straight, the girl in the show was never raped or otherwise sexually assaulted.
she was merely pushed back away from her door against a wall when her mother immedietly came down the stairs causing the subject to flee.
It wasnt until sometime later that they later discovered he was a sex offender. so at the time her attack occured, to her it was nothing more than a pushing match with a stranger at the front door. It wasnt until finding out his status after the fact shes twisted it in her own mind into something more..
her phobias are based on a self induced fear stemming from a purely speculative sexual assault that never occured by a person whom at the time she didnt know was a sexual predator..
THANK GOD SHE WASNT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED! Im in no way defending her attacker .but i just dont think her fears are rational based on her socio-economic demographic and the fact that shes never actually been assaulted sexually.. Thousands of attractive young girl takes the train and public transportation in places like Harlem and Dorchester unarmed every night to go home and have more to fear than this girl with a 9mm in her cozy upper middle class virginia homestead.
theres tens of thousands of REAL victims they could have featured, and i find the details of her story to be paltry in comparison.

To reply, and just to set the record straight, the girl in the show was never raped or otherwise sexually assaulted.
she was merely pushed back away from her door against a wall when her mother immedietly came down the stairs causing the subject to flee.
It wasnt until sometime later that they later discovered he was a sex offender. so at the time her attack occured, to her it was nothing more than a pushing match with a stranger at the front door. It wasnt until finding out his status after the fact shes twisted it in her own mind into something more..
her phobias are based on a self induced fear stemming from a purely speculative sexual assault that never occured by a person whom at the time she didnt know was a sexual predator..
THANK GOD SHE WASNT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED! Im in no way defending her attacker .but i just dont think her fears are rational based on her socio-economic demographic and the fact that shes never actually been assaulted sexually.. Thousands of attractive young girl takes the train and public transportation in places like Harlem and Dorchester unarmed every night to go home and have more to fear than this girl with a 9mm in her cozy upper middle class virginia homestead.
theres tens of thousands of REAL victims they could have featured, and i find the details of her story to be paltry in comparison.

One thing I have noticed, and this has probably already been said a couple hundred times on this site, is the difference in laws. I lived in VA for four years and don't envy their laws. Sure it is easier to buy a gun, that one is okay to envy. But it may be much easier to get a CCW in VA or other southern states, but they limit where you can carry alot more. Virginia-no resturaunt or bar with alcohol. North Carolina-no public place where admission was charged to enter, like movie theater. I may be harder to get your permit up here in the Northern Socialist Republic, but they trust you a little more once you get it I think.

As far as the show, I just got a chance to watch it. That girl was horrible, If she did in fact still have the handgun in her purse at the bar she was breaking the law. As far as not having her permit then, the law says it is a maximum of 45 days. When I got mine, I had it 7 business days after my application being put in. So she could have very easily had her permit at the time of shooting the show. But her dad should have taken the time to show her a little basic firearm handling and muzzle discipline.

One thing I have noticed, and this has probably already been said a couple hundred times on this site, is the difference in laws. I lived in VA for four years and don't envy their laws. Sure it is easier to buy a gun, that one is okay to envy. But it may be much easier to get a CCW in VA or other southern states, but they limit where you can carry alot more. Virginia-no resturaunt or bar with alcohol. North Carolina-no public place where admission was charged to enter, like movie theater. I may be harder to get your permit up here in the Northern Socialist Republic, but they trust you a little more once you get it I think.

As far as the show, I just got a chance to watch it. That girl was horrible, If she did in fact still have the handgun in her purse at the bar she was breaking the law. As far as not having her permit then, the law says it is a maximum of 45 days. When I got mine, I had it 7 business days after my application being put in. So she could have very easily had her permit at the time of shooting the show. But her dad should have taken the time to show her a little basic firearm handling and muzzle discipline.

SnakeEye said:
THANK GOD SHE WASNT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED! Im in no way defending her attacker .but i just dont think her fears are rational based on her socio-economic demographic.

Ahhh...okay. As I said, I didn't see it, however, there is a BIG difference between a scare of something that could have happened and what did happen. I went through that as well (when I was working at a convenience store as an Asst. Mgr. - I was being "checked out", but I thought it was because he wanted to rob the place. I later found out he was a sex offender and the day after watching me, he tried to get a teenage girl into his truck). Now - something like that can shake you up (and I a bit more so at that time because of my history), however, the fear is NOT the same.

SnakeEye said:
THANK GOD SHE WASNT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED! Im in no way defending her attacker .but i just dont think her fears are rational based on her socio-economic demographic.

Ahhh...okay. As I said, I didn't see it, however, there is a BIG difference between a scare of something that could have happened and what did happen. I went through that as well (when I was working at a convenience store as an Asst. Mgr. - I was being "checked out", but I thought it was because he wanted to rob the place. I later found out he was a sex offender and the day after watching me, he tried to get a teenage girl into his truck). Now - something like that can shake you up (and I a bit more so at that time because of my history), however, the fear is NOT the same.

SnakeEye said:

LenS said:

One more thing - the AZ governor recently vetoed legislation that would have overturned the restaurant ban in that state - choosing to, in her words "side with the hospitality industry."

LenS said:

One more thing - the AZ governor recently vetoed legislation that would have overturned the restaurant ban in that state - choosing to, in her words "side with the hospitality industry."

LenS said:

I was just reading an article today about the likelihood that Nebraska would pass a concealed carry law this coming session, and some of the details of the law. It highlights something I've commented on before. Massachusetts, New York and the other states that adopted gun control laws decades ago all tended to do so in an effort to keep the "wrong people" from having guns, e.g. Blacks, Italians, Irish, etc. Because of this the all tended to implement concealed carry laws that allowed the "right people" to carry essentially everywhere. In contrast, a lot of other states either implemented gun control laws later on or had prohibited conceaed carry and allowed open carry everywhere going back to the mid 1800's. As a result, when the other states finally got around to allowing concealed carry, they were strongly influenced by the anti-gun hysteria that started in the 60's. In order to get their bills passed they had to prohibit carry in all sorts of places, e.g., churches, restaurants, parks, sporting events, concerts, etc. Rest assured that if Massachusetts ever had to start from scratch, our laws would prohibit carry in roughly 98% of the land area of the state. [roll]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom