MSP Shuts Down All BFS/LEOSA Firearms Training/Certification

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I just received this from MSP Licensing:

Good Morning,

I hope this email finds you and your family safe and healthy.

As you are aware on March 22, 2020, Governor Charlie Baker ordered that all businesses and organizations not providing “COVID-19 Essential Services” to close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public as of noon on March 24th until noon on April 7th. As of March 31st, this has been extended til May 4th.

It has come to our attention that BFS and LEOSA Instructors have been continuing their firearms training classes whether in person or through virtual training during this pandemic.

As of this writing, you are not approved to instruct any firearms training with respect to 515 CMR 3.00 & 6.00 whether in person or through virtual training.

Any changes and/or updates regarding training we will notify you via email.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
Massachusetts State Police
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

Dupe

MSP never accepted virtual training for certs. All the courses in the CMR are in-person.

Where it gets interesting is this:

"What if I taught the class in NH (where gun clubs, gun stores and ranges have been declared "essential")?"

Worth noting: When I've personally certified others for LEOSA and took my own certification each year, maintaining 6-8' distance has been normal, they aren't large classes.

I don't currently have a classroom location in NH but could certainly run a MA LEOSA cert class up there (I do have a range that I could use). However, being in the age-related high risk category, I have shut down all training until this pandemic is over.

That's in direct conflict with the advisory to conduct as much work remotely as possible. If you can run virtual classes, why shouldn't you?

I hope there are a lot of instructors who simply forgot to flip their calendars over
All certs and class reports are filed with MSP electronically (Emailed) so they see what each instructor is doing.

OK, so the only authority MSP has here is to not take those courses for qualification. They can't stop the actual training!!!

OK, so the only authority MSP has here is to not take those courses for qualification. They can't stop the actual training!!!
Well they could pull the teaching credential . . . that would be interesting.

Just like the AG threatening dealers . . . they fear losing their state license to sell, thus they bow down to her majesty!

Issuing a MA BFS certificate while the decree is in effect would rank right up there with counting to five on the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (i.e., right out)

From the GOAL Faceplant page..Just saw this...Did Baker relent??

As of today, BFS virtual training has been approved. If you wish to instruct virtually you will need to send an email to me requesting to be approved to provide virtual BFS training. In your email you must include your name, address, contact number, email address, your BFS Certification number and the course you wish to instruct.

Once we receive your email we will review your request and if approved we will send you additional information on what steps you will need to take, especially at the beginning of every class you instruct.

At no time should you be instructing virtually without approval from Colonel Mason or his designee.
Please be advised that the Colonel's authorization for the online Basic Firearm Safety Program expires when the state of emergency in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been lifted.

Be safe and stay healthy,

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

Awesomeness!
So now although I paid fees already, and have cert's and licenses, I have to request permission to be allowed to do something I've already been doing? Well.....
They certainly don't EVER want to make anything easy "cuz guns"

Hopefully it will coincide with local departments accepting LTC applications as well.

Any word as to what phase will involve re-authorizing courses?

Rob,
Courses have been authorized since last month. Didn't you get this notice back on May 18th?

Good Afternoon,
Based upon the Governor’s newest orders concerning the Covid-19 pandemic, BFS and LEOSA training may resume in person, and all shooting ranges may open, as of May 18, 2020. All existing requirements regarding BFS/LEOSA and shooting ranges are in effect.

Furthermore, pursuant to the Governor’s Orders, all social distancing and face covering guidelines must be adhered to for each BFS and LEOSA course and for all activity at any shooting range until further notice.

Please be advised that the Colonel’s authorization for the virtual online Basic Firearm Safety Program expires close of business on Saturday, May 23, 2020.

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom