• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MSP Gun Arrest.

A press release from MSP. Can anyone explain the thought process behind the hollow point interpretation?
MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE RELEASE--State Police, Boston Police Arrest Man on Weapons Charges After He Flees Car Stop

On Saturday night, Trooper Thomas Hannon from the Massachusetts State Police Barracks in Boston stopped a car for a number of motor vehicle violations on Tremont Street, near Parker Street, in the City of Boston.

The operator, ROOSEVELT A. WILKINS, 26, of South Yarmouth, told Trooper Hannon that his license was in a book bag in the trunk of the car. As Trooper Hannon retrieved the bag from the trunk WILKINS ran from the scene. WILKINS was captured a short distance away by members of the Boston Police Department who had been in the area of the stop and responded to assist Trooper Hannon. A search of the bag retrieved from the trunk of WILKINS’ car revealed a loaded Smith & Wesson Airweight . 38 caliber handgun. The weapon was loaded with hollow point bullets, which are illegal in Massachusetts.

Trooper Hannon was assisted on this stop by Troopers Sean Quirk, Boston Police Officer Chris Carr, Detective Mike Ross, Sgt. Keith Webb, and Detective Kevin Magoon.

WILKINS was taken to the State Police Barracks in Boston. WILKINS was charged with: Carrying a Firearm without a license (second offense); carrying a firearm with ammunition; carrying a firearm without an FID card (Second Offense); possession of a firearm with one prior violent /drug crime; possession of ammunition without a FID Card; and possession of ammunition of an unlawful caliber. He was additionally charged with speeding and failure to signal before turning. WILKINS’ bail was set at $50,000.

WILKINS will appear in Roxbury District Court today. Please do not call the barracks directly

Its stories like this that make me question how anyone can be a cop. Whats in that cops trunk? Oh, thats right. An AR-15. But, some how this guy should be arrested for keeping a snub nose revolver in his. WTF.

Wait... reading the charges... Is there a Boston City Ordinance against HPs?

I've never heard of it, but just thinking out loud.

This guy does appear to be a criminal low life, so I won't lose any sleep over the details of his arrest. However, I'm still scratching my head as to why the Staties think hollow points are illegal.

Oh, and this is baffling:
WILKINS was taken to the State Police Barracks in Boston. WILKINS was charged with: Carrying a Firearm without a license (second offense); carrying a firearm with ammunition; carrying a firearm without an FID card (Second Offense); possession of a firearm with one prior violent /drug crime; possession of ammunition without a FID Card; and possession of ammunition of an unlawful caliber. He was additionally charged with speeding and failure to signal before turning. WILKINS’ bail was set at $50,000.

Shouldn't it just be the "Carrying without a license"? Why are there both charges? And why does the FID even matter since the FID doesn't apply to pistols? Also, what's "carrying a firearm with ammunition"? How else is someone going to carry the firearm? Shouldn't that be "transporting a firearm with ammunition"?

Okay, I guess it's not baffling. They'll throw every single charge at someone and see what sticks.

Its stories like this that make me question how anyone can be a cop. Whats in that cops trunk? Oh, thats right. An AR-15. But, some how this guy should be arrested for keeping a snub nose revolver in his. WTF.
This was his second offense, according to the article.

However, someone was misinformed about the HP rounds. Idiots on both sides.

This was his second offense, according to the article.

Huh? What does that have to do with the price of bananas?

The first time they locked him up for doing something he has the right to do. So, the second time makes it even more just?

Wait... reading the charges... Is there a Boston City Ordinance against HPs?

I've never heard of it, but just thinking out loud.

I've never heard of it either. If someone knows for certain, I'd be interested in hearing it. That being said, I can't imagine Staties would be allowed to enforce Boston Ordnances. And that press release definitely says illegal in Massachusetts, not Boston.

Carrying a Firearm without a license (second offense); okay
carrying a firearm with ammunition; Bullshit charge
carrying a firearm without an FID card (Second Offense); bullshit charge if the first charge applies
possession of a firearm with one prior violent /drug crime; seems weird, but okay.
possession of ammunition without a FID Card; okay
possession of ammunition of an unlawful caliber. WTF is this horseshit?!

The only 'legit' charge, if you can really call it that, is possession without a license.

But the gun was locked in his trunk. I would tell the DA to pound sand if I were him.

Okay, I did a search for this press release and couldn't find it on the MSP website nor google. OP, care to cite where you got it?

Back
Top Bottom