MSP Colonel's Son in Hot Water - Drunk with Guns

there is no requirement to "register".

He could have bought it while living out of state legally and brought it back to MA (we all know the law on that)
Yahbut what others scenarios besides moving in with the gun
are going to pass the sniff test if a judge or prosecutor starts asking questions?

The guns were unloaded, that is going to take a lot of wind out of the sails of the charges IMHO
They're saying it's improper storage - not improper transport or drunk carry.

Improper storage doesn't have "loaded" as an element of the crime.
You can store guns loaded in Massachusetts.
It takes a special kind of gun owner to not store any loaded.
So how is that going to take any wind out of any sails?

The heavy lifting the prosecution has to do is to convince the court
that there is such a concept as "too drunk to control".
I don't recall having heard that one on here before.

I would love to hear the defense ask the officers whether,
if they had a reasonable suspicion that the son
was armed, and posed a danger to them,
they would have been permitted under Terry v. Ohio
to temporarily confiscate all of the guns during the traffic stop.

If so, they've just made it harder to prove they weren't under control.

If not, they've cast all of their testimony in doubt,
because they'd be the first cops on the planet to let a
dangerous car occupant sit next to a pile of guns.
(Probably a stack of pistol cases strewn in the passenger footwell).

Predictions:
If the fix is in, the judge will just say, "sorry, no sale",
and viola the case is broomed.

If they want to take the son down,
the court will turn a deaf ear to any defense protestations
about "too drunk to control",
and the guy is dead meat.

Wait a minute. What is a "personal cruiser"? Does he have a "personal police force"?
Why, yes; as a matter of fact, he does:

He could have borrowed the gun across state lines for legitimate sporting purposes, another "out"

Notice they didn't nail him on having post ban magazines for the Glock, I'm not saying there were any, the ammo was away from the guns, but they didn't pile on that charge.

Personally I think he is getting a free pass on the DWI charge as all it takes is for him to have the keys on him or access to them. They do not have to be in the ignition and many cars today don't even have keys.... and he can be DWI on private property as the public has access to the parking lot.

This case should have been broomed at the Clerk Magistrate level.

This case should have been broomed at the Clerk Magistrate level.
The fact that they pulled "too drunk to control" out of an orifice
means that they at least feel they have to go through the
appearance of a trial. (The next sleeping drunk that Barnstable arrests
for DUI will have some pointed questions about discretion and bias).

Chances are this guy will get the same treatment an ordinary would - a CWOF deal.

I know of one case where a "possession on school grounds" charge was dropped when defense counsel raised the issue of the "on one's person" qualification, after which the police refiled as a storage violation. The individual (unconnected) got a two year CWOF.

A car with 5 (?) guns and a pack with ammo, the kid is passed out or nearly so and hanging out of the car in the parking lot of bar? what should the revocation time period be; 2/5/10/20 years ?, lifetime??

Of course it depends on what the facts are, it isn't looking good for anyone right now.

I thought Howie spent 2 (two) full hours
covering this since the news broke -
including Turtle Boy phoning in to the show.
Maybe it was only this hour:

State Police Colonel Cover Up Son’s DUI – Turtleboy – 5.04.22 – Hour 4

The press bitched so hard that the upcoming hearing
has been opened to the public.

... police discovered 4 firearms in the vehicle– 2 handguns and 2 rifles.​
It is a crime to be in possession of a firearm while intoxicated,​
but the police are claiming that the guns were unloaded.​

Even Turtle Boy prints the same crap information as the MSM about gun laws.

It's illegal to carry or have under your control in a vehicle
a loaded handgun when under the influence.

So it's obvious why the cops are saying the guns were unloaded.

More equal ...

Wait a minute. What is a "personal cruiser"? Does he have a "personal police force"?
State Police troopers typically have their own cruiser that they take home after their shift. Many of them patrol large districts so it doesn't make sense for them to go back to the barracks at the end of their shift and leave the cruiser there. They often don't go to the barracks at the start of their shift either.

Police forces in small towns and cities typically don't have take home cruisers, but they are typical for state police forces.

State Police troopers typically have their own cruiser that they take home after their shift. Many of them patrol large districts so it doesn't make sense for them to go back to the barracks at the end of their shift and leave the cruiser there. They often don't go to the barracks at the start of their shift either.

Police forces in small towns and cities typically don't have take home cruisers, but they are typical for state police forces.
So, who supervises or oversees them?

Yahbut what others scenarios besides moving in with the gun
are going to pass the sniff test if a judge or prosecutor starts asking questions?

They're saying it's improper storage - not improper transport or drunk carry.

Improper storage doesn't have "loaded" as an element of the crime.
You can store guns loaded in Massachusetts.
It takes a special kind of gun owner to not store any loaded.
So how is that going to take any wind out of any sails?

The heavy lifting the prosecution has to do is to convince the court
that there is such a concept as "too drunk to control".
I don't recall having heard that one on here before.

I would love to hear the defense ask the officers whether,
if they had a reasonable suspicion that the son
was armed, and posed a danger to them,
they would have been permitted under Terry v. Ohio
to temporarily confiscate all of the guns during the traffic stop.

If so, they've just made it harder to prove they weren't under control.

If not, they've cast all of their testimony in doubt,
because they'd be the first cops on the planet to let a
dangerous car occupant sit next to a pile of guns.
(Probably a stack of pistol cases strewn in the passenger footwell).

Predictions:
If the fix is in, the judge will just say, "sorry, no sale",
and viola the case is broomed.

If they want to take the son down,
the court will turn a deaf ear to any defense protestations
about "too drunk to control",
and the guy is dead meat.

Why, yes; as a matter of fact, he does:
Lost his license so that’s a start.

got to scream at the radio today as Howie Carr was ranting about the "unregistered" Glock.

How he got to where he is today being wrong as often as he is always amazes me

maxresdefault.jpg

Lost his license so that’s a start.
Has to be only suspended.
got to scream at the radio today as Howie Carr was ranting about the "unregistered" Glock.

How he got to where he is today being wrong as often as he is always amazes me
News flash: he's repeating what a government spokesman said.

A supervisor at the barracks. Plus their cruisers are now tracked by GPS.

It's not like a patrolman in Wayland who goes to the station, picks up his cruiser, and is in his territory 5 minutes (or less) later. A trooper may be patrolling an hour away from his barracks. Also, take-home cruisers tend to last a lot longer than shared cruisers.

Last edited:
So he was DUI, intoxicated while in the possession of a weapon, not having full control of the weapon, improper storage. He gets to walk and with a suspended CC which he will gain back. Anyone else would be in lockup and waiting for the judge. He got the clerk to drive 2 hours to hear his special case. Yeah nothing to see here folks.

So he was DUI, intoxicated while in the possession of a weapon, not having full control of the weapon, improper storage. He gets to walk and with a suspended CC which he will gain back. Anyone else would be in lockup and waiting for the judge. He got the clerk to drive 2 hours to hear his special case. Yeah nothing to see here folks.

Sadly many seem to think it really is no big deal-but if you operate your atv on a road next to my house and 'my' land...........................

I know of an unconnected civilian who drew a 2 year CWOF for improper storage in his vehicle on university property. He even got his LTC back without a fight.

Incredible that you would excuse those who enable criminals in obtaining handguns/rifles and ammo.
When I was in Lubbock TX for interviews with TI, I saw cars on-campus at Texas Tech with long guns hanging in the back windows of pickup trucks. Perfectly legal back then (1970s).

I have a friend in the Phoenix area who's had 2 handguns (different times) stolen from his glovebox while in shopping centers. It's illegal in AZ to carry into a shopping mall, so damn near everyone leaves their handgun (loaded is legal) in their glovebox. Thieves merely break car windows, reach into gloveboxes and figure on scoring a handgun. Police reports and insurance, but no crime and no big deal.

So, you'd want to prosecute those folks for following the law. 🤔

I know of an unconnected civilian who drew a 2 year CWOF for improper storage in his vehicle on university property. He even got his LTC back without a fight.
I’m dumbfounded by how he got out of DUI in conjunction with the weapons. Anyone else would not be as lucky.

When I was in Lubbock TX for interviews with TI, I saw cars on-campus at Texas Tech with long guns hanging in the back windows of pickup trucks. Perfectly legal back then (1970s).

I have a friend in the Phoenix area who's had 2 handguns (different times) stolen from his glovebox while in shopping centers. It's illegal in AZ to carry into a shopping mall, so damn near everyone leaves their handgun (loaded is legal) in their glovebox. Thieves merely break car windows, reach into gloveboxes and figure on scoring a handgun. Police reports and insurance, but no crime and no big deal.

So, you'd want to prosecute those folks for following the law. 🤔
Do you have a site or source for the shopping mall claim? I have no information on this and am interested in learning, or is this covered under a binding signage law? At one point any public facilities banning guns had to provide the ability to check guns while visiting. The one man think tank formerly from MA made an issue of this trying to check his gun at a public library in AZ.

Incredible that you would excuse those who enable criminals in obtaining handguns/rifles and ammo.
How about we punish criminals who steal from people, rather than their victims?

Furthermore, even if the guns had been stored in compliance with MA law (in a locked case), that wouldn’t have prevented someone from stealing the cases and breaking into those cases at their leisure. MA firearms transportation law is virtue signaling at its worst. It does nothing to actually increase safety. All it does is provide the state with an opportunity to punish gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom