MSP APP and Use of Location Data

...The Massachusetts State Police app, which was unveiled Sunday and is rolling out formally later this week, will have a function MSP officials say no other law enforcement agency is using: Push Notification with Geo-fencing. This will enable state police to immediately notify residents with real-time alerts that are geographically configured. You will need to allow push notifications and use of location data when prompted to use this feature.

One thing that is important to know right now, however, is that allowing location data in no way violates the app user's privacy rights,” officials said in a statement released Sunday morning. “We do not have the ability -- nor the desire -- to track individual users, and nor will we ever use our app to do so in the future. The sole purpose of the MSP application is to deliver information related to public safety and the department...

http://salem.patch.com/groups/polic...tts-state-police-introduce-new-smartphone-app

SCOTUS has previously ruled it a 4th amendment violation for the government to place a gps tracking device on a citizen's vehicle without obtaining a warrant. Now, MSP is asking people to download its public safety App and allow for the sharing of location data from your smartphone with MSP. Basically, the equivalent of consenting to a search in my view.

Of course, allowing sharing of location data does not violate your privacy rights! You are voluntarily pushing it to them. There is no need for them to pull it from the device. Call me cynical, but what could possibly go wrong with giving MSP this access to your phone?!?

Free candy!

0a19f09cc3815ea6a4d852775a151675.jpg

Last edited:
We do not have the ability -- nor the desire -- to track individual users, and nor will we ever use our app to do so in the future.
Sure.... They would never do that, ever.

Sure.... They would never do that, ever.

Yup. Then at some point in the future we learn of the "coding error" in the app that caused it to mistakenly and unintentionally share all of the personal data on your device such as contact lists and browsing history with MSP. 'Cause that's never happened before!

While it certainly could be misused, I doubt thats the intent...

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I think your large thumbs hit send before you put in the sarcasm tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

sexual assault locomotive.

i'd say this definitely is consent as you always get to see what apps share and have to agree to these terms when you install them.

of course who reads that? human cent-i-pad.

The 'Agree' button you tap makes it warm, happy and consensual sex with MSP.

Anyone who downloads that is out of their ****ing mind.

MSP already barfs information out on twitter, just like my dept, and just about every other one in the state.

While it certainly could be misused, I doubt thats the intent...

Mike

Didn't they make the same claim about EZPass transponders? No one would ever misuse information like that.

No I really dont think its some huge conspiracy... but with the potential for misuse I imagine it ultimately will be though likely in an unsanctioned manner.

Mike

I just downloaded it and set it up. It continues to send me SMS messages that say "calm down" and "stop resisting" followed by a shock in my ear. I need a court order to uninstall. I tried it last night while sitting at a bar for several hours. Who knew that the cops were there waiting. /sarcasm

Anyone who downloads that is out of their .... mind.

MSP already barfs information out on twitter, just like my dept, and just about every other one in the state.
Meh, if you've got a smartphone you're givin' it up already.

There's only one alert, they have the barracks locations which I find useful, we'll see how it goes.

The current state of affairs, my friends is that the government is entitled to inspect and collect any and all of your business records with blanket warrants issued by the FISA court.

Your location data

((and your phone records and text records and credit card charges and utility bills and excise bills and vehicle registration and toll payments and frequent shopper cards and email accounts and....))

is freely available to the authorities unless and until there is a change in the law.

The current state of affairs, my friends is that the government is entitled to inspect and collect any and all of your business records with blanket warrants issued by the FISA court.

Your location data

((and your phone records and text records and credit card charges and utility bills and excise bills and vehicle registration and toll payments and frequent shopper cards and email accounts and....))

is freely available to the authorities unless and until there is a change in the law.

That may well be the case, but I can still elect to not aid and abet the process by voluntarily transmitting it to the authorities and making it even easier for them. This would still be the equivalent of consenting to a search with all of its attendant disadvantages.

Your location data

Its not nearly as easy to get this data as you might think. Blanket warrant? What exactly is that?

Garandman you are right, that info exists if you have a smartphone, but putting yourself on the MSP radar voluntarily seems like a bad idea to me.

The publisher of the app has already produced similar products for Lee, NH and Middleton, NH police departments. Seems like a pretty smart idea in that they can change a few images and templates to sell their product to any interested PD.

ROTFL... the po po can TRY to trace my phone. I think i am the only one left in the US who doesnt have a smart phone, I am useing the one they free upgraded me too about 4 years ago because the old one (no seperate key board, no cameras, no flip up-out-anything) wasnt working on there system anymore....

trying to trace my phone is like trying to watch a current movie on bata-max....

http://salem.patch.com/groups/polic...tts-state-police-introduce-new-smartphone-app

SCOTUS has previously ruled it a 4th amendment violation for the government to place a gps tracking device on a citizen's vehicle without obtaining a warrant. Now, MSP is asking people to download its public safety App and allow for the sharing of location data from your smartphone with MSP. Basically, the equivalent of consenting to a search in my view.

Of course, allowing sharing of location data does not violate your privacy rights! You are voluntarily pushing it to them. There is no need for them to pull it from the device. Call me cynical, but what could possibly go wrong with giving MSP this access to your phone?!?

In a perfect world it would be a great app. Not going on my phone, though, and I'm probably far more lenient than most.

Its not nearly as easy to get this data as you might think. Blanket warrant? What exactly is that?

Garandman you are right, that info exists if you have a smartphone, but putting yourself on the MSP radar voluntarily seems like a bad idea to me.

That's what the whole Verizon/NSA/Snowden thing was about.

If you think that data is not being used/shared/passed-around because they say they aren't, I will gladly point you to the sworn congressional testimony of the DNI swearing there wasn't such a program at all.

In further hearings after the program came to light, EVERY SINGLE TIME when asked if the data was being used, the reply always had the weasel words of "this program" in the answer. "We don't use the data in this program" "There is no way to drill down and see conversations in this program". They didn't emphasize "THIS PROGRAM", hey swallowed those words. What they didn't say is that this program passes the data off to other programs which can do all of the above, and not a single representative asked the obvious question of "Is this data being passed of to any other programs". Even if they did, I bet I can guess what their response would have been.

Anyway, whenever anything of national interest arises, the full power and all the data of the NSA will be utilized as I sure was done after the marathon incident, and probably every school lockdown in the country. Just very quietly.

Well, I don't have anything to hide, so... Wait a minute, I have a spitload to hide.

Back
Top Bottom