MSNBC Poll on Arming Teachers

Honestly I would not trust half my teachers to know the front end of a handgun from the magazine well.

The other half are/were veterans. So at least we'd be half protected.

Honestly I would not trust half my teachers to know the front end of a handgun from the magazine well.

Well the first set would probably be afraid that the gun would strangle them in thier sleep (My Father is one of these.....I've personally witnessed him throwing away his childhood guns....now frozen with rust [crying] sometimes I can't belive I'm related to him)

the other half would pop the Goblin, and then yell at you for paying attention to the dying corpse and not the blackboard. [smile]

Seriously, I think any teacher willing to keep and bear should be allowed to CCW in school. Due to the crouded nature of schools, maybe a school-sponcered tactical course might be a good thing too.

-Weer'd Beard

This took a pair of BIG brass ones on the part of this legislator.

I don't know how well it will work, but this guy deserves the award for being one of the few politicos to actually grow a pair.

the other half would pop the Goblin, and then yell at you for paying attention to the dying corpse and not the blackboard. [smile]-Weer'd Beard
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]
There was a discussion about guns in the staffroom of my elementary school today after a student brought a loaded 38 to the local highschool yesterday.
I learned two things about my fellow teachers:
1. They don't know very much about guns. ("He had a .38 shotgun")
2. They are so scared of them they would probably piss themselves if they saw one in school.

I'm in favor of concealed carry but I don't think its a good idea in school. Too many mischievous little hands looking for things to play with.
It sure would cut down on the discipline problems though. [wink]

Still if you are carrying concealed, and have a policy that teachers should not discusss if they are armed/unarmed or otherwise, what are the rascals gonna play with?

Of course unless they bring a gun to school.....

Really my big point is that guns already ARE in schools....but right now it's only the bad guys, and the criminally misguided. I'd just perfer to allow the odds to be even.

-Weer'd Beard

Last edited:
Still if you are carrying concealed, and have a policy that teachers should not discusss if they are armed/unarmed or otherwise, what are the rascals gonna play with?

Of course unless they bring a gun to school.....

Really my big point is that guns already ARE in schools....but right now it's only the bad guys, and the criminally misguided. I'd just perfer to allow the odds to be even.

-Weer'd Beard

There are plenty of opportunities for the guns or ammo to end up in the wrong hands:
Teacher has gun knocked loose breaking up a fight, or during a P.E. class.
Ammo left in a desk, car, jacket.
Student steals a key to a "secure" room.
Pick-pocket.
Or just someone being careless, distracted, or forgetful.

Also, a parent has the right to decide if they are responsible enough to carry in order to protect their family. I don't think a teacher should be able to make that decision for someone elses kids.

If a school has reason to believe students are bringing weapons to school they should hire a cop.

There are plenty of opportunities for the guns or ammo to end up in the wrong hands:
Pick-pocket.
The teacher who CCWs has the same responsibilities as anyone else that CCWs. I'd expect them to be responsible about the way they carry, or they shouldn't be carrying.
Also, a parent has the right to decide if they are responsible enough to carry in order to protect their family. I don't think a teacher should be able to make that decision for someone elses kids.

If a school has reason to believe students are bringing weapons to school they should hire a cop.

The teacher who CCWs is primarily to protect himself, with the chance that he may also save other lives. You're right, if you expect trouble, get a cop. CCW is for the case where cops can't be everywhere.

As a parent of school age kids I'd be thrilled to know that responsible teachers are carrying. It's yet another line of defense. Knowing that some teachers carry would be a deterrent to some criminals. That makes the defense even stronger.

I saw a guy carry in school once.

glock_forty.jpg

Why does everybody think having a government job/badge/license magically removes someone's idiocy.

We don't need to go out of our way to "arm" anybody. However, we should remove every single restriction on teachers, parents, pilots, passengers, and hell, maybe even students from arming themselves.

Last edited:
Pick-pocket.

I totally agree with Joe G. If a teacher is properly carrying there should be no different than any body else. I'd personally make it a school policy that no teacher or school staff may discuss wether they are armed or not. It's not apropreate discussion for class, and frankly it holds no relevence.

For schools that have a touble with gang and/or drug activity there should be a small amount of police (and I'm pretty sure there already are) Prinicpals dealing with drug and weapon posession without involving the police is nothing short of vigilanti activity, and I've personally seen it happen.

But Police may be effective in the "psycho-factor", but they suffer from all the problems of open carry. They can be spotted quickly and easily, they can be monitored, and quordinated around...or struck first by suprise.

I think Kim argues the point the best here:
http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/tos/single/9793/

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

There has to be an even playing field. The bad guys or the people who go off their feed for what ever reason have an advantage.I'd rather have more people C.C.,than an armed cop in every class room or on every corner.
If the bad guys or OTHERS know that the more people can C.C. they might think twice about doin the deed, if the little old lady in the room was LTC and had a 357 snub nose in her purse.

Fred

But Police may be effective in the "psycho-factor", but they suffer from all the problems of open carry. They can be spotted quickly and easily, they can be monitored, and quordinated around...or struck first by suprise.

Very true and that's the biggest problem there. Remember that at Columbine there were actually two police officers in crusiers in the parking lot, but because they were easily spotted, the two suspects managed to pin them down until it was too late.

One of the biggest problems I could see is "collateral damage", ie; student pops up to see whats happening when teacher has decided to pull trigger. There would be a need to have a strick set of rules to include training ( art of concealed carry ) and qualifying on use of of the firearm they would be allowed to carry, maybe a restriction to frangible ammo on school property.

I saw a guy carry in school once.

glock_forty.jpg

Why does everybody think having a government job/badge/license magically removes someone's idiocy.

We don't need to go out of our way to "arm" anybody. However, we should remove every single restriction on teachers, parents, pilots, passengers, and hell, maybe even students from arming themselves.
Yah, theres a good idea. "He tried to steal my lunch so I shot him. My daddy says guns are to keep people from robbing you so its ok. Can I go to recess now?"

+1 All the kids need are a few sheepdogs.

However, we should remove every single restriction on teachers, parents, pilots, passengers, and hell, maybe even students from arming themselves.

I strongly agree with everything except the students. [thinking]
Arming even high school seniors is not a good idea. Some 18 & 19 year old kids might seem fairly mature and I believe one can still enlist in the armed services as young as 17 - with parental permission - but frankly I doubt if the average senior has the logic and reasoning skills to make life & death decisions.

Remember that at Columbine there were actually two police officers in crusiers in the parking lot, but because they were easily spotted, the two suspects managed to pin them down until it was too late.

D*mm straight, all the more reason for CCW !

Last edited:
Arming students would be a bad idea. Maybe in college students should be allowed to own firearms on campus (and I know down South it's not uncommon), but definitely not in high school. Especially considering that none of them are 21 to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom