• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MREs

It's also right up there with the lovely green powdered eggs they would pass off on us too.[laugh]

After the first month on a boomer run, the green powdered eggs were better than the real eggs with the green eggwhites and black yolks.

At the time, I remember the messcook having to open 7 eggs just to get 2 good ones for an over-easy request.

On subject: Last I checked, issue MREs were being sold at the Portsmouth Commissary.

Never ate MRE's but C-rats = good ! I liked them.

C-rats weren't too bad. Liked the little p38.

On my pre-sub days (73-74), I served on an AE (Ammunition supply ship). On a shakedown for predeployment, we spent 24 hrs at GQ. The food was all rats of some sort, each with a 4-pack of old golds or chesterfields. They burned like dry sawdust.

C-rats weren't too bad. Liked the little p38.
That's the little can opener, right?

A friend of mine (ex-Air Force) went shooting with me once and discovered, much to her delight, that the store/range also sold p38's. She was so thrilled, she bought three (there were three of us shooting) and gave each of us one. I still have it on my keyring...

That's the little can opener, right?

A friend of mine (ex-Air Force) went shooting with me once and discovered, much to her delight, that the store/range also sold p38's. She was so thrilled, she bought three (there were three of us shooting) and gave each of us one. I still have it on my keyring...

Yup it's the little can opener. We still have some kicking around.

Yup it's the little can opener. We still have some kicking around.
+1[grin]
Still have my last one from that short time (82-83) between USN and USNR I spent with Army ROTC; along with my one live-round grenade ring. 6 weeks in Ft Lewis eating nothing but T-rats & C-rats. (T-rats being the Army's TV dinner for a crowd.) I gained a new, much more respectful outlook on Navy cooks.
By the time I transited from submarine community to Civil Engineer Corps (& the Seabees[smile]), we were fully into brown-wrapper MREs.

Again, on topic: I checked today. The Portsmouth Commissary is now out of issue MREs.

I gained a new, much more respectful outlook on Navy cooks.
One of the Brothers at my Lodge was a former Navy cook (he was on a destroyer during Korea). We never could get Ernie to manage to do rare roast beef, though... always medium to well-done. [rolleyes] Other than that, every thing was great.

My p38 actually means quite a bit to me; the reason that my friends took me shooting that day was that my father had died very suddenly about 4 days before that... and they wanted to get me out of the house and let me work out some of my anger on some perfectly innocent paper targets. So that little can opener reminds me of two friends who took days off of work for me, because they cared.

Funny how we can invest such meaning in little stuff...

Back
Top Bottom