• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MRE's vs. Canned

blindndead

NES Member
I have found some info on shelf life on canned foods. To me it looks like 1 year for canned and 5 years for MRE's. MRE"S look like the way to go. Any comments on the two?

About a week and half ago I had an Orange Nut cake from an MRE I got when I was in the Corps. I'm guessing I had it since around '92. Not sure when it was actually packaged.

In the perfect world, someone would store what they actually eat. You take it from your storage area, and put it into your pantry, then replace what you took with new from the store food. That way, you would always be fresh in the storage. For me, as with a lot of others, I don't have the discipline to do that for everything. MRE's are a great long term alternative to storage foods. Also they travel real easily too.

?

What foods Can I buy at stop and shop that will last for a long time? Just looking at what I have in my stash at home veggies have a date of one year tuna is 2 years spam is 3 years. I would like to find a shelf life chart on the web or if there is no such thing start one here.

Rice, Barley, dried peas, beans of all types. Dry goods essentially. Last nearly forever.

Dehyrated fruit/meats too.

+1

If stored correctly, rice, barley, beans, wheat... will all last forever. Though if you are looking for other types of storage foods, freeze dried foods (depending on the packaging) will last in excess of 25 years!

ok...sure...you would need lots of food to last a long time in an emergency situation or a bug out....

I've read these posts and it's canned vs. MRE or freeze dried or whatever......

WHAT ABOUT BEER!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, at some point you are going to want to sit down and take a load off. It would be nice to crack a frosty especially after a Katrina tyep situation.....

I'll go out of my mind if I can't have a beer for an extremely long period of time....

How do we save beer?????

ok...sure...you would need lots of food to last a long time in an emergency situation or a bug out....

I've read these posts and it's canned vs. MRE or freeze dried or whatever......

WHAT ABOUT BEER!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, at some point you are going to want to sit down and take a load off. It would be nice to crack a frosty especially after a Katrina tyep situation.....

I'll go out of my mind if I can't have a beer for an extremely long period of time....

How do we save beer?????
Yea I know what your saying but I have a real hard time stocking up on beer. [wink] We could to try to make our own you can buy the beer kits at some liquor stores.

keep a bottle of vodka in your bug out kit...

multiuse:
1. kills infection(cuts/scrapes)
2. helps you sleep
3. pain killer
4. gets you in the mood to sleep with your wife that you have been stuck out in the wilderness with for weeks without showers.

keep a bottle of vodka in your bug out kit...

multiuse:
1. kills infection(cuts/scrapes)
2. helps you sleep
3. pain killer
4. gets you in the mood to sleep with your wife that you have been stuck out in the wilderness with for weeks without showers.

I can't do vodka or any other hard liquor...I'm a beer drinker and it's not even good beer that I like. I can bring anticeptic and things like that but I NEED BEER!!!!!

lol

In 1972, in a friendly place in the West Pacific, I sat down and Ate a "C "Ration, it was a BONELESS CHICKEN. When I got up and took the cans to dispose of, on the back of the Six By, the box said 1942. I had a strange feeling come over me, for I had just eaten a Chicken that had been killed 9 years before I was born.
Chicken was good
Peanut Butter was pasty
Bean and Muthers were not bad
Hash was like pencil erasers as were the eggs. Apple Jelly was good, Pears, Fruit Cocktail and Peaches were fine. Then again that was 34 years ago..... Whoops! But hey! some were 30 years old when we ate them.
I have some MREs from Pre "Desert Storm" and they are fine.

Like Pilgrim and Wingpower said, I've had C rations that were older than me in the 60's and 70's. They'd go back to the 50's easy.

But then maybe they were special to last that long. I'll bet MRE last more than 5 years too. That's probably when they taste "best". [wink]

I've never had the "joy" of feasting on MREs, but I too chowed down on my fair shar of C-Rats back in the 60's. Most of them seem to have been passed over during Korea and WWII. Any time I think I'm on the verge of starving to death, I can always think back fondly on a serving of ham and lima beans (better known as "Choke 'n Puke"), and longer seem to to be the lease bit hungry. [wink] OTOH, the fruit from the B-1 units, particularly the peaches, were good. There was always a big market in swapping cigs, trying desparately to find somebody who happened to get your brand.

Ken

Dark beer lasts longer.
I just drank a Michelob Dark that was about 6-8 years old and it was perfectly drinkable, but not as fresh as new. I had the old beer in the cabinet from when I was a brewer. It was used as a measurement standard of color when we wanted to find out the color degree of our product.
The darkness of the beer protects it from oxydation by the maillard reaction.
There are some old, thick, heavy, alcoholic english beers that get better over time, like up to 20 or more years. They are however, an aquired taste. some old Belgian styles can be very good after a few years too.

MRE's are really the "total package" when it comes to battlefield cuisine and survival situations. They are 1300-1700 calories per bag and you can live off of 1 a day. They even come with a chemical heater (activated w/few tablespoons of water) for a nice hot meal. They pack much easier than cans, won't dent and are much lighter. I keep 2 in my truck at all times (along with my AK underfolder w/360rds. ammo) and I take one when I go hunting. They taste good too :D

MRE's are really the "total package" when it comes to battlefield cuisine and survival situations. They are 1300-1700 calories per bag and you can live off of 1 a day. They even come with a chemical heater (activated w/few tablespoons of water) for a nice hot meal. They pack much easier than cans, won't dent and are much lighter. I keep 2 in my truck at all times (along with my AK underfolder w/360rds. ammo) and I take one when I go hunting. They taste good too :D

I think I read somewhere that a man 5'9" tall weighing 180 lbs burns 1,700 calories just resting......so based on this and I will try to confirm it you wouldn need slightly more than one a day.....or you would get really skinny really fast.

I think that 1,700 calorie burn figure is a bit high...I wish that it was true because I need to lose about 20 pounds. You can easily survive on 1 MRE per day. Key word is survive. In a worst case scenario you would be looking for grubs/worms/'shrooms and other edible wild items just to survive and they don't just have the calories to survive. If you want to thrive, then eat 2 MRE's ;)

I think that 1,700 calorie burn figure is a bit high...I wish that it was true because I need to lose about 20 pounds. You can easily survive on 1 MRE per day. Key word is survive. In a worst case scenario you would be looking for grubs/worms/'shrooms and other edible wild items just to survive and they don't just have the calories to survive. If you want to thrive, then eat 2 MRE's ;)
you said shrooms.[laugh]

Try some of the dehydrated "backpacker" meals. They require the addition of boiling water(Like the "high calorie MRE's), but they are pretty good. You can buy them online for about the same as MRE's. I like the Mountain House Pro packs. They are really small(About the size of a softball) and they taste pretty good.

I've never had C-rations, just the MRE's(Standard & High Calorie). Regular caned food may be good for "sheltering in place" but you don't want to lug cans around if your moving by "LPC"(Leather Personel Carrier). The newer tuna packets(Same technolagy as MRE's) are high in protein and really thin/easy to pack. Also the tubes of peanut butter are good for a quick "protein fix". [grin]

As far as Booze.... I would go with something "hard" for a BOB. For sheltering in place, booze, wine, and most beer will last a long time. I carry a pint flask of vodka in my BOB[grin] !

Try some of the dehydrated "backpacker" meals. They require the addition of boiling water(Like the "high calorie MRE's), but they are pretty good. You can buy them online for about the same as MRE's. I like the Mountain House Pro packs. They are really small(About the size of a softball) and they taste pretty good.

I've never had C-rations, just the MRE's(Standard & High Calorie). Regular caned food may be good for "sheltering in place" but you don't want to lug cans around if your moving by "LPC"(Leather Personel Carrier). The newer tuna packets(Same technolagy as MRE's) are high in protein and really thin/easy to pack. Also the tubes of peanut butter are good for a quick "protein fix". [grin]

As far as Booze.... I would go with something "hard" for a BOB. For sheltering in place, booze, wine, and most beer will last a long time. I carry a pint flask of vodka in my BOB[grin] !

When "all is said and done" water is the most important requirement. The human body can go a long time without food, but will not operate long(Hot or cold) without water. When you consider the weight of the "average" BOB contents(ammo, water, food, extra cloths, ect), your going to start running out of room or "running heavy". Also consider food supliments. They can sustain you until you can obtain food! Gatorade packets or similar drink mixes can help retain fluids and provide energy as well.

Last edited:
Try some of the dehydrated "backpacker" meals. They require the addition of boiling water(Like the "high calorie MRE's), but they are pretty good. You can buy them online for about the same as MRE's. I like the Mountain House Pro packs. They are really small(About the size of a softball) and they taste pretty good

+1 I store Mountain House in 1, 2, and 4 person portions, and I also have cases of #10 cans and #2.5 cans as part of my LTS (Long Term Storage) food.

I carry a pint flask of vodka in my BOB[grin] !

Good call.. I keep Everclear though!

Anyone got a physical store for MRE's ? or a Link ? ... As for Worst case scenario bugs & grub & shrooms : I goddamn don't think so. I'll eat pigeons and clams before I eat bugs.

But I am looking for a few good mushroom ID books for the spring , I spend a lot of time in Maine in warm weather and 'shroom hunting might be fun.

O , yeah , I keep a flask of Scotch in my BOB. ...

Here are a few links.......

http://www.alpineaire.com/index.html

http://www.mountainamericajerky.com/
(Jerky is great for snacks & has lots of protein).

http://www.mountainhouse.com/
(Great food, even for dehydrated stuff!)

Here is some info on MRE's and some tips on buying them...
http://www.mreinfo.com/buying-mres.html

http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=173

I haven't ordered from most of those sites(Only Mountain House). So buyer beware!

I think the dehydrated stuff last as long or longer than ready to eat stuff. Most of the dehydrated meals can be prepared with cold water in a "pinch". There are tons of sellers out there looking to "take advantage" of the post 9/11 age as well as people who don't know what they need/want. So I suggest being carefull when dealing with outfits your not familiar with!

Jerky will last a LONG time if kept in the original package. It is great to snack on while hiking or just "hurry up and wait" type situations that may arise while in a survival situation.

And for any one looking for a decent stove... check out the JetBoil. I have one and its really nice! It can be used as a stove, coffee press, or just an insulated mug for a package of Lipton instant soup!

http://www.jetboil.com/

Back
Top Bottom