• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MREs legal to sell???

I could have sworn that I heard the gov't issue MREs are illegal to sell to the public. Then I walked into a military surplus store this afternoon, and in a box in the corner were a stack of MREs.

Clearly stamped on the package was "U.S. GOVERNMENT PROPERTY - COMMECTIAL RESALE IS UNLAWFUL"

There was no date on any of the packaging.

What's the deal? Are they fake, old, or illegal?

I took a picture, but I'm waiting for the email to deliver from the phone. I'll post when it arrives if it's still an active thread.

I could have sworn that I heard the gov't issue MREs are illegal to sell to the public. Then I walked into a military surplus store this afternoon, and in a box in the corner were a stack of MREs.

Clearly stamped on the package was "U.S. GOVERNMENT PROPERTY - COMMECTIAL RESALE IS UNLAWFUL"

There was no date on any of the packaging.

What's the deal? Are they fake, old, or illegal?

I took a picture, but I'm waiting for the email to deliver from the phone. I'll post when it arrives if it's still an active thread.

I used to pick one or two up at gun shows until I actually tried one.
They're not illegal

Yes they are legal... I just got 2 cases off of ebay. So they have to be legal right :)

Probably old. Current MREs, at least the ones I've seen, are packaged in brown plastic. The older ones are packaged in olive green plastic. IIRC, they SHOULD have an expiration date.

How they taste is a matter of, well, taste. I've had some decent ones, but I wouldn't want to make a steady diet of them.

There are also commercially available versions that are available on line. Google "MRE" and you should find a number of listings.

Gary

This is done primarily to discourage low pay grade GI's from selling them as opposed to getting their nourishment. In the time I was in, I saw some fairly crazy guys do some very crazy things to get extra money...

I wouldn't be surprised if the US Gov't sells off the surplus or expired MREs at auction, just like the ammo cans.

New ones probably aren't supposed to be sold commercially and if so, probably were stolen.

Just a SWAG!

I wouldn't be surprised if the US Gov't sells off the surplus or expired MREs at auction, just like the ammo cans.

New ones probably aren't supposed to be sold commercially and if so, probably were stolen.

Just a SWAG!

Are you kidding they'd make the GI's eat them. God knows I ate C-rats from the 50's 60's in basic. When they were starting to phase in the MRE's.First generation sucked. [puke2]

I eat'em, I like'em and I miss the old dehydrated beef and pork patties!

Then again, I shoot a 4" 500 rapid fire!

My wife says I have some issues......

Back
Top Bottom