MPTC Bridge Academy

Kisspik002

NES Member
Anyone else here have to attend the MPTC Bridge Academy. Last name A-H have to complete it by June 30, 2022.

Just seeing who else has started the process.

not a LEO, but I think it is going to be interesting to see some older out of shape Officers pass the PAT

and every officer in the Department who goes has to bring a cruiser to beat on on some sort of road course/skid pad?

as if the cars were not beat on enough already..... you have a 50 person department, that is going to take one cruiser out of service for a while as every officer cycles thru.... I hope none of you still have Chargers as cruisers.

good luck to you....

I find it interesting they MANDATE you have a LTC, no "carry on the badge", if you don't have a LTC they say you have to arrange for your duty weapon and ammo to be transported for you?

not a LEO, but I think it is going to be interesting to see some older out of shape Officers pass the PAT

and every officer in the Department who goes has to bring a cruiser to beat on on some sort of road course/skid pad?

as if the cars were not beat on enough already..... you have a 50 person department, that is going to take one cruiser out of service for a while as every officer cycles thru.... I hope none of you still have Chargers as cruisers.

good luck to you....

I find it interesting they MANDATE you have a LTC, no "carry on the badge", if you don't have a LTC they say you have to arrange for your duty weapon and ammo to be transported for you?
it will be interesting to say the least.

What is a "bridge academy"? I'm familiar with the MPTC Police Academy, just never heard of this variant.
with police reform...all part timers, some SSPO officers will need to attend a bridge academy. The "goal" is to bring those less trained officers up to "par" with a full time officers.

the bridge will consist of 80 hours online learning, 40 hours each of firearms, DT, EVOC.

if you have a full time academy your fine. If you work for a college, or did the SSPO that wasn't run my MSP, or work part time for a local PD and you only have the reserve academy then you will be required to attend this bridge program or you will not be certified to perform any law enforcement functions.

Last edited:
Imagine being a Lieutenant and having to do that…. Lmao. Both the Lieutenants at old job have to… and I think it’s hilarious

Imagine being a Lieutenant and having to do that…. Lmao. Both the Lieutenants at old job have to… and I think it’s hilarious
yes I know a couple campus cops who when they started only needed the reserve academy and a college degree to work as a campus cop...now 15 plus years later with rank have to pass this bridge or they loose their jobs.

Lots of Harbormasters and Assistant Harbormasters will be needing this or they have to take the blue light off the boat and become mooring managers with no LE powers.
Departments that hire part timers in the summer (Hull, Cape and Island towns)are going to be in big trouble next year.

Lots of Harbormasters and Assistant Harbormasters will be needing this or they have to take the blue light off the boat and become mooring managers with no LE powers.
Departments that hire part timers in the summer (Hull, Cape and Island towns)are going to be in big trouble next year.
Yes they are...Many Cape towns will be hurting. Harbormasters along with many others who need LE powers that might not necessarily actively work as cops on patrol in cities and towns will have to go.

with police reform...all part timers, some SSPO officers will need to attend a bridge academy. The "goal" is to bring those less trained officers up to "par" with a full time officers.

the bridge will consist of 80 hours online learning, 40 hours each of firearms, DT, EVOC.

if you have a full time academy your fine. If you work for a college, or did the SSPO that wasn't run my MSP, or work part time for a local PD and you only have the reserve academy then you will be required to attend this bridge program or you will not be certified to perform any law enforcement functions.

Are these courses taught by social workers?

Thank you for the explanation. I did think that the R/I academy that I attended was rather short (no firearms, no CPR/First Responder - those were left to our departments). We did have good CPR/First Responder training thanks to an FD EMT however. Firearms was strictly semi-annual (later annual only) qualification. This was back in the late 1980s.
yes I know a couple campus cops who when they started only needed the reserve academy and a college degree to work as a campus cop...now 15 plus years later with rank have to pass this bridge or they loose their jobs.
When I joined the PD, there was no requirement for any academy training. Most of the officers never attended an academy and it took 9 yrs before slots opened up for my class at the R/I academy. In the meantime, I took numerous 1-day classes offered by MCJTC over the years prior. I retired many years ago and am very glad to be out. I'm currently in a citizen's police academy at my new home in NH and did a ride-along this past Friday. It's interesting to see the differences . . . both due to different states/laws and technology changes.
Yes they are...Many Cape towns will be hurting. Harbormasters along with many others who need LE powers that might not necessarily actively work as cops on patrol in cities and towns will have to go.
Well, TPTB did want to defund the police. Here's their opportunity. We'll see/hear how this works out.

It’s a cheesy wall hack for people that washed out of Full Time academy…. IMO

what it will do is open up a pile of POST certified folks that will deep throat the nearest municipality that can’t find people that want to be cops

It’s a cheesy wall hack for people that washed out of Full Time academy…. IMO

what it will do is open up a pile of POST certified folks that will deep throat the nearest municipality that can’t find people that want to be cops
If you attend the bridge from my understanding it doesn’t mean your automatically a full time officer. Your department that sponsored you if they decide to hire you full time can submit for a waiver. If your Chief feels you should attend a full time academy then you have to attend one. Don’t quote me on it but I believe the bridge is only good for the department you currently work at as to prevent people from trying to bounce around while avoiding a full time academy.

I know many part timers who work full time jobs and just want to continue to work part time. There are corrections guys who work full time inside that work part time and are happy with that. Many of them are great cops.

Will there be those that slip through who could never handle a full time academy…I’m sure.

I do think the overall intent was for those towns that depend on part timers to keep them given the law now requires their level of training now has to be comparable to full timers. Just my opinion

Thank you for the explanation. I did think that the R/I academy that I attended was rather short (no firearms, no CPR/First Responder - those were left to our departments). We did have good CPR/First Responder training thanks to an FD EMT however. Firearms was strictly semi-annual (later annual only) qualification. This was back in the late 1980s.

When I joined the PD, there was no requirement for any academy training. Most of the officers never attended an academy and it took 9 yrs before slots opened up for my class at the R/I academy. In the meantime, I took numerous 1-day classes offered by MCJTC over the years prior. I retired many years ago and am very glad to be out. I'm currently in a citizen's police academy at my new home in NH and did a ride-along this past Friday. It's interesting to see the differences . . . both due to different states/laws and technology changes.

Well, TPTB did want to defund the police. Here's their opportunity. We'll see/hear how this works out.
It will be interesting. The only part I don’t agree with is you have many seasoned/older part timers who are awesome cops, very knowledgeable and are great at their job that will be required to take a PAT test and 4 written exams just to keep working. Sadly I think we will loose many of those officers to this new requirement.

If you attend the bridge from my understanding it doesn’t mean your automatically a full time officer. Your department that sponsored you if they decide to hire you full time can submit for a waiver. If your Chief feels you should attend a full time academy then you have to attend one. Don’t quote me on it but I believe the bridge is only good for the department you currently work at as to prevent people from trying to bounce around while avoiding a full time academy.

I know many part timers who work full time jobs and just want to continue to work part time. There are corrections guys who work full time inside that work part time and are happy with that. Many of them are great cops.

Will there be those that slip through who could never handle a full time academy…I’m sure.

I do think the overall intent was for those towns that depend on part timers to keep them given the law now requires their level of training now has to be comparable to full timers. Just my opinion
As far as I understand it… you are POST certified. That means you can work. If departments want to add additional requirements that’s on them and their standards

As far as I understand it… you are POST certified. That means you can work. If departments want to add additional requirements that’s on them and their standards
Right. Post certified but again from my understanding it’s only good for the department you are working for and if you are hired to work full time your department head has to submit for a waiver. There is a process it’s not just you finish the bridge and poof your full time. You have to have 2,400 hours of police function work to apply for the waiver.
I get what your saying though…there will be those who will slip through who never could handle a full time academy. It’s a mess that’s for sure.

I was one of those. I didn't want to go full time, but enjoyed it as an avocation.

I recently learned that up here in NH, even part-timers have to go thru the full-time academy and get POST certified. Only one academy in NH and it is in Concord.
It will be interesting. The only part I don’t agree with is you have many seasoned/older part timers who are awesome cops, very knowledgeable and are great at their job that will be required to take a PAT test and 4 written exams just to keep working. Sadly I think we will loose many of those officers to this new requirement.
Yes, I could never have passed a physical agility test. I've had bad knees since before I was 10 yo, torn tendons in one foot plus tore my right rotator cuff back ~1992 that still gives me problems. So even directing traffic would be painful. So when the chief offered for me to continue, I took retirement instead. We got no benefits and were only paid when we worked a detail or shift, so it was no great loss.
MA has no POST, MPTC is run by the Mass Chiefs Assn. and they rejected attempts to create a POST many years ago (I participated in that Byrnes Grant study). For the record, I would have preferred a POST, but the chiefs didn't want to lose control over the program.

I was one of those. I didn't want to go full time, but enjoyed it as an avocation.

I recently learned that up here in NH, even part-timers have to go thru the full-time academy and get POST certified. Only one academy in NH and it is in Concord.

Yes, I could never have passed a physical agility test. I've had bad knees since before I was 10 yo, torn tendons in one foot plus tore my right rotator cuff back ~1992 that still gives me problems. So even directing traffic would be painful. So when the chief offered for me to continue, I took retirement instead. We got no benefits and were only paid when we worked a detail or shift, so it was no great loss.

MA has no POST, MPTC is run by the Mass Chiefs Assn. and they rejected attempts to create a POST many years ago (I participated in that Byrnes Grant study). For the record, I would have preferred a POST, but the chiefs didn't want to lose control over the program.

Yes. This reform is creating a POST system. At least that’s what was told to us before I left. I haven’t been in loop for a few weeks now though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. This reform is creating a POST system. At least that’s what was told to us before I left. I haven’t been in loop for a few weeks now though.

Interesting! Thank you for that info.

Well, that explains why Boston PD pulled all of the "Rule 400" specials on July 1. Also explains why someone mentioned that there is no longer a R/I academy.

Well, that explains why Boston PD pulled all of the "Rule 400" specials on July 1. Also explains why someone mentioned that there is no longer a R/I academy.
Correct. All LE who perform a law enforcement function now have to have the same level of training regardless if they are full time or part time. Harbormasters, rangers, etc.

After the 3 year bridge program is over only full time academy trained will be allowed to work if performing a LE function.

I believe the most recent version of the R/I academy had close to 400 hrs of training. Mine was at 340 plus 24 hrs of firearms 7 yrs ago. One huge bone of contention is in order to be eligible for this bridge academy you have to have 4200 hrs of "experience" over the past 5 years. Each dept is different, especially mine where we can only do details, not patrol shifts. Detail time is specifically excluded. Unless something changes I will bet getting laid off essentially come July 1st. The towns in the western part of Mass are gonna take a huge hit, where many of them employ part time officers for regular shift coverage.

Right. Post certified but again from my understanding it’s only good for the department you are working for and if you are hired to work full time your department head has to submit for a waiver. There is a process it’s not just you finish the bridge and poof your full time. You have to have 2,400 hours of police function work to apply for the waiver.
I get what your saying though…there will be those who will slip through who never could handle a full time academy. It’s a mess that’s for sure.
that 2400 hrs is to get in the door for the bridge academy. I have well above that but only with traffic and security details, and details are specifically excluded. I like my part time job, I have no intention of going full time. I'm getting porked by it.....

that 2400 hrs is to get in the door for the bridge academy. I have well above that but only with traffic and security details, and details are specifically excluded. I like my part time job, I have no intention of going full time. I'm getting porked by it.....
I have heard through the grapevine that one of the goals of this legislation is to kill off Police details, among other things.
Lots of people are going to be hurt by this.
It sucks.
It basically eliminates part timers.
I hope you can get a LEOSA retirement ID out of your PD before you go Hogie1.
I think you need 10 years iirc.

Where I lived, the local PD Union got a town meeting article passed, that then was adopted by the Legislature as a home rule petition, that retired officers in good standing could work details.

IIRC there is a limit as to what they can make (remember the Lynnfield retiree that had the balls to file for unemployment on top of his pension after he maxed out on detail hours?)

He worked as a full time Police Officer for the Town of Lynnfield for 32 years. Following his retirement Hartley continued to work Police details for 19 years.

( Retired Lynnfield policeman's benefits renewed as task force works on municipal unemployment changes )

I doubt that the retirees,as much as they want to keep biting the apple are going to want to go thru a whole bunch of additional hoop jumping to keep the detail work

Now, full disclosure, my Dad was a Reserve Officer, he worked nights and weekends, the 4th of July parade ( where do you think we got all the fireworks we took to Marshfield after Dad got home) and he worked details when they fell to him when there were no FT Officers who wanted them. He turned down FT appointment 3 times and after that he was forced to give the gig up, but by then he had transitioned from Electrician to Teacher, but in the early years of his teaching career, when he took a substantial pay cut, the PT PD work helped keep the finances at the house in the green woods steady until my Mom returned to the workforce in 1972 after being out of the workforce for 16 years minding the house and raising children.

Last edited:
Where I lived, the local PD Union got a town meeting article passed, that then was adopted by the Legislature as a home rule petition, that retired officers in good standing could work details.

IIRC there is a limit as to what they can make (remember the Lynnfield retiree that had the balls to file for unemployment on top of his pension after he maxed out on detail hours?)

He worked as a full time Police Officer for the Town of Lynnfield for 32 years. Following his retirement Hartley continued to work Police details for 19 years.

( Retired Lynnfield policeman's benefits renewed as task force works on municipal unemployment changes )

I doubt that the retirees,as much as they want to keep biting the apple are going to want to go thru a whole bunch of additional hoop jumping to keep the detail work

Now, full disclosure, my Dad was a Reserve Officer, he worked nights and weekends, the 4th of July parade ( where do you think we got all the fireworks we took to Marshfield after Dad got home) and he worked details when they fell to him when there were no FT Officers who wanted them. He turned down FT appointment 3 times and after that he was forced to give the gig up, but by then he had transitioned from Electrician to Teacher, but in the early years of his teaching career, when he took a substantial pay cut, the PT PD work helped keep the finances at the house in the green woods steady until my Mom returned to the workforce in 1972 after being out of the workforce for 16 years minding the house and raising children.
Wow. That Lynnfield guy had a lot of balls.
My understanding is full time retirees will not be affected by this POST reform and will still be allowed to work details.
I dont know if part timers are the same.

When I went to the reserve/intermittent academy one of the staties who taught a class was baffled by the concept of a part time academy. He had one night to teach us what he took a week to teach at the full time academy. He thought it was crazy that part timers were doing exactly the same job as full timers but with a fraction of the training.
I don't know anything about the bridge training but anything you can get is better than nothing. And I don't have a problem with veteran cops doing a PT test. It wouldn't bother me if all coos had to do annual PT tests.

Back
Top Bottom