• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MPD (Mansfield PD) range shut down

The full thread is here, I copied 1 post below

http://www.talkmansfield.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7195&p=67456#p67456

Re: MPD range shut down
Postby oldbastard » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:50 am

This police range happens to be a major problem. First of all do not confuse this range with the one across the street behind the town highway garage. This range is a police range behind the recycling center on the South side of Route 106.

The problem with this range is the noise (I happen to live very close) when on some days or nights sounds like a soundtrack from Saving Pvt. Ryan or the Fury. Other law enforcement officers are allowed to use this range. I have seen cars from other police departments and sheriff departments exiting.

Originally I thought that this range was for the use of Mansfield Police officers only.

I did try and call to complain and was referred to some Sargent who was in charge of the range, but efforts to call him were unsuccessful as he worked the midnight shift.

Additionally I emailed the BOS but got no response, however, I thing that is a bad link.

Where I live the noise. on some occasions, is unbearable. And if I had children in that area I would wonder just how safe are we, when a weapon trained police officer shoots himself ?? Frankly, if so, what about a stray bullet.

And this leads up to the next issue-the town's policies and licenses for firing ranges which probably do not exist.

The death at the Mansfield Fish and Game is only part of the issue.

This range is also used or leased out to at least one company's firearms safety school.

I think it is time to close down these ranges-they can use indoor facilities. Fire ranges are fine for low populated areas.

I would like some peace. Sunday seems to be a popular gun day. I would like to know my children and neighbors are safe.

And by the way, Mother's day was terrible because the Firing ranges were going at full fury.

Looking for peace and quiet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very confused by this post. Is the range in question brand new or was it there when the OP moved in? You are on a gun forum complaining about range noise? Still very confused

Very confused by this post. Is the range in question brand new or was it there when the OP moved in? You are on a gun forum complaining about range noise? Still very confused

Apparently you did not read the first line of the thread. I am not on a gun forum complaining about the noise. I am on a gun forum informing people of a thread on a town forum about people complaining. As indicated by the 1st 2 lines of this thread

"The full thread is here, I copied 1 post below

http://www.talkmansfield.org/phpBB3/...p=67456#p67456"

The best part of that link, is the link to an article on Easton wicked local talking about a cop shooting himself:

Susan Parkou WeinsteinATeastonwickedlocal said:
In another police-related incident, police shut down the local shooting range Oct. 21 after a member of the Metro Law Enforcement Council Swat team shot himself in the hand with his Glock service revolver during a routine exercise.

If you read the attached link you will see that the Mansfield PD range (not Mansfield Fish and Game) was shut down because of incident where a 5.0 shot himself in the hand. The post I copied is one persons opinion of the ranges near his home.

- - - Updated - - -

The best part of that link, is the link to an article on Easton wicked local talking about a cop shooting himself:

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused by the poster that's quoted from the town forum.
In one line they say "if I had children" then in another they talk about the safety of their children....huh? wut? [thinking]

I don't want any Mansfield range shut down.

If both Mansfield ranges are right next to one another - how is the police range louder than the other range?

IIRC Mansfield F&G started in the 1930s.

Mansfield PD range was only built a handful of years ago.

I don't want any Mansfield range shut down.

If both Mansfield ranges are right next to one another - how is the police range louder than the other range?

MF&G has a (bad) policy of not allowing any shooting before 12Noon on Sundays. I've been there at 10:30AM on Sunday when the MPD range was in use, so I was sure that we'd get blamed for that. MGL says that "quiet hours" are from 10PM to 7AM and outside of those hours (another law) ranges can be used and noise is NOT a legal issue. In spite of this law, many towns attempt to regulate shooting ranges, pass bylaws (that probably can be beat if you want to throw $20-50K at a lawsuit against the town), and worse yet many ranges agree to ridiculous restrictions all on their own.

Apparently you did not read the first line of the thread. I am not on a gun forum complaining about the noise. I am on a gun forum informing people of a thread on a town forum about people complaining. As indicated by the 1st 2 lines of this thread

"The full thread is here, I copied 1 post below

http://www.talkmansfield.org/phpBB3/...p=67456#p67456"
That is why the quoting function exists.

BS. If range was there before him than tough, don't like it move or STFU.

.that's two "accidental" shootings in two months at Mansfield's two ranges. The first resulted in death. The second is a mere flesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of hard to do from other fora to here.

No, actually it is quite easy. Simply surround the quoted text with "[ QUOTE ]" and "[ /QUOTE ]". Leave out the extra spaces that I put in.

Or use the quote button as DispositionMatrix pointed out.

Just put "quote" in brackets at the beginning of the quote and "/quote" in brackets at the end.

Or click on advanced to go to the advanced editor, highlight the quote, and click on the little quote icon.

Back
Top Bottom