Mp5 clone or sig Mpx

Which would you choose and why? I've never shot either, want both, but can only afford one even after selling a couple guns I never shoot anymore.

For a lot of MA residents, it becomes a question of magazines.

Pre ban HK mags are difficult to find and pricey. There are no pre ban MPX mags

My preference is to build on the AR platform and run either Uzi or Glock magazines. Done that way, you get normal capacity without a lot of aggravation.

Lately, there seems to be more choices than ever in the 9mm AR world.

For a lot of MA residents, it becomes a question of magazines.

Pre ban HK mags are difficult to find and pricey. There are no pre ban MPX mags

My preference is to build on the AR platform and run either Uzi or Glock magazines. Done that way, you get normal capacity without a lot of aggravation.

Lately, there seems to be more choices than ever in the 9mm AR world.
I have no interest in a 9mm AR. Thanks for the suggestion though. The mag situation is the reason Im leaning towards the mp5

I asked the same question several months ago. I went with the clone because of magazines. Surplus MP5 30 round magazines can be found for 30-40 dollars. I had a hard time finding MPX mags and really didnt want to pay 60 dollars for 10 round mags.

I have about 11 MP5 pre-ban mags for my clone, 7 curved and 4 straight. Some used and a bunch were new in the wrapper. Most were found over at HKPro. I don't think I paid more than $50 shipped per and the straight fed JHP's as well as FMJ's in mine without any hiccups. It is one of my favorites to take to the range, although I haven't had the pleasure to shoot an MPX. I just have to get my trust engraved on it as I've had my stamp for it for months but just haven't found the time to make it into a SBR.

Soon you will be able to buy a genuine HK SP5k retail so ... another option.

Last edited:
definitely go for the mp5 clone. i got an mp5k and have shot a friends mpx and i personally like the mp5k better. It turns more heads and the idea of a 9mm ar just doesnt do it for me.

I had a HK 94 for a while. I miss the idea of having it and fawning over it but to shoot it as semi auto was a bit of a tease. Too easy at short range and not permitted on the pistol range at my club. Iron sights with a 9 mm at 50 yds plus got old quick. You need a range with some leeway in what you can shoot and at what distance.

I really wanted to put a red dot on it but the HK94 mounting options aren't that great--kind of awkward--and I didn't want to scratch up a real HK with a clamp on mount.

but yeah, it's nice to scratch the HK itch.

paid a small fortune for it and sold it for more but I do miss it.

Well I went to gartman to check out a Mp5 clone he had available. Ended up leaving with a FDE Scar17. Price was extremely fair and it's one of the guns I've always wanted but never thought I'd be able to afford. Screw it, you only live once right!

Well I went to gartman to check out a Mp5 clone he had available. Ended up leaving with a FDE Scar17. Price was extremely fair and it's one of the guns I've always wanted but never thought I'd be able to afford. Screw it, you only live once right!

Was it a DJ Getz? I was told they had one in stock

MP5 clone. Brethren Armament makes a mass compliant version and the build quality is excellent. There are lots of pre ban 30 round magazine available. PM me if you want to see mine.

MP5 clone. Brethren Armament makes a mass compliant version and the build quality is excellent. There are lots of pre ban 30 round magazine available. PM me if you want to see mine.

Mass compliant MP5? **** that right up the ass.

No.

Mass compliant MP5? **** that right up the ass.

No.

Not sure what they'd have to do to make it compliant, other than make sure the gun has a fixed stock on it. The lugs could be left on the barrel, as that's not an AWB feature. (assuming SBR) etc.

-Mike

They put a fixed stock on it, a faux suppressor to get 16 inches, and ship it with a 10 round magazine. Those 3 things make it mass compliant. I did not want to go the SBR route.

Last edited:
They put a fixed stock on it, a faux suppressor to get 16 inches, and ship it with a 10 round magazine. Those 3 things make it mass compliant. I did not want to go the SBR route.

And this is what I was referring to: An MP5 with a 16" bbl and fixed stock. No thanks.

And this is what I was referring to: An MP5 with a 16" bbl and fixed stock. No thanks.

That's more "Title 1 compliant" than it is "mass compliant" though. There's noting stopping someone from stamping it and getting the barrel recut if they want, or swapping in a real MP5 barrel with lugs on it.

Back in the day HK94s came with either fixed or collapsible, IIRC. The collapsible stock units seemed to be more common, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom