• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MP5 Absolute Co-Witness on a Budget

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
I have a cheap MP5 clone that I wanted to red dot with absolute co-witness, but was having trouble finding options in my budget. Found one that works, and thought I'd spread the word.

The MFI ultra low profile mounting bracket on HK parts goes for nearly $100. That's insane in my book to pay $100 for a piece of metal. Then there's the fact that it notes it works with Aimpoint T1/T2 for absolute co-witness. I don't have Aimpoint money, particularly when considering my clone is a budget model. Would be like putting $2,000 worth of rims on a beat up Ford Fiesta.

So I did some digging and found a set up that works. Battle Steel MP5 mounting bracket ($50) and Vortex Sparc II ($129 at Brownells during promotion). The Battle Steel bracket is a typical MP5 claw, but has the Vortex mounting pattern so you don't have the extra height of a pic rail in between. Works good enough for my purposes. My only complaint is that the Sparc II is a bit long and can make working the cocking lever a pain. Anyway, thought I'd note this combo here for the rare instance someone wants to go budget on an MP5/MP5 clone (I'm probably the only one).

Here's a pic. Hadn't fine-tuned the red dot in this pic, but you get the idea.

Sight.jpg

You used the words MP5 and "budget" in the same sentence... [laugh]

As with all things in life, there are grades and ranges of quality with everything, including guns that get MA's price hike treatment. The model I bought (almost embarrassed to say here), a Special Weapons clone, is considered a budget model even within clones. It was a fraction of the price of a genuine HK MP5, so I consider this budget.

Was it the best decision I've ever made? Hell no. Should I have just gone Scorpion instead and saved some money? Maybe. But I have 4 pre ban 30rd HK mags that help me make this decision.

It is definitely close to the charging handle when locked open, making the "MP5 slap" a little tricky. I have a feeling an Aimpoint T1/T2 would leave a lot more clearance, but again, I didn't have Aimpoint money. I'll just have to work around it, literally.

Oh, and the Battle Steel bracket: It is a claw, but the left side with the logo doesn't have the typical claw cut away. I figure they probably save money by only machining the ejection port side. I'm fine with that considering this claw isn't $100. I could always cut it away myself if I want to get anal with symmetry, but I don't think it bothers me all that much. May end up scraping off the logo though--looks goofy to have the word "Battle" on your gun.

20190411_224428.jpg

Almost wish I had not welded on a rail 2 weeks ago lol. Oh well chin rest it is.

While I do like the absolute co-witness, a welded rail means you have so many options for mounts, including quick release. Would love to see the results of your set up. I'll post more once I get mine into its final form. I might work on the shitty paint job mine came with. Almost looks rattle can. Thinking about stripping it and Duracoat. Also, I had a welded faux suppressor on mine that tore up my 3 lug. I can't believe it stripped all the paint off. Didn't realize it until I Form 1'd it. You can see the bare metal in the pic.

I've got a PTR 9C, a lot of people hate the welded rail but it's one of the reasons I went with it as I don't really care for authenticity and love the ability to throw a QD red dot on it(especially since I can't freaking see the front sight post - side note: got a Blitzkreig Components replacement sight post but the roll pin holding it in doesn't want to budge so haven't been able to test it out yet).

While I do like the absolute co-witness, a welded rail means you have so many options for mounts, including quick release. Would love to see the results of your set up. I'll post more once I get mine into its final form. I might work on the shitty paint job mine came with. Almost looks rattle can. Thinking about stripping it and Duracoat. Also, I had a welded faux suppressor on mine that tore up my 3 lug. I can't believe it stripped all the paint off. Didn't realize it until I Form 1'd it. You can see the bare metal in the pic.

I've got a PTR 9C, a lot of people hate the welded rail but it's one of the reasons I went with it as I don't really care for authenticity and love the ability to throw a QD red dot on it(especially since I can't freaking see the front sight post - side note: got a Blitzkreig Components replacement sight post but the roll pin holding it in doesn't want to budge so haven't been able to test it out yet).

I have the same issue with my front sight post roll pin. The prior owner of my clone decided to do an extremely sloppy DIY post highlighting with some type of epoxy. I'm talking globs of it. The worst part was that it was lopsided too, with a solidified drip on the right. My first instinct was to just replace the sight post, but damn, I went at the roll pin with the correct size punch for like an hour and it won't budge. Maybe some break-free spray? I even thought about rigging my sight press. Ended up filing it off. Took forever.

I built my own, did a parkerized then duracoat HK black finish and it came out great. Wooden furniture and did the weld on rail I made from a blank. Still got to toss a red dot on and then go shoot it sight it in. (did it for under $1K but reused a Lot of G3 parts to keep the cost down. )

I built my own, did a parkerized then duracoat HK black finish and it came out great. Wooden furniture and did the weld on rail I made from a blank. Still got to toss a red dot on and then go shoot it sight it in. (did it for under $1K but reused a Lot of G3 parts to keep the cost down. )

You start from flats? Wish I had the skills and tools to do that, but I know enough to know that is far beyond my abilities.

My issue now is that I want to strip and paint just the body, but there's no way I'll be able to remove the barrel/cocking assembly from the receiver (and get it back in) with just the hand tools I have available. Wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to work around the barrel still in the receiver for a Duracoat job.

Just tape off what you don't want blasted and sand blast it and reapply the tape as needed. then re-tape and paint. should be easy leave the barrel and such alone.

Yea I did it from a flat and bought the trunnion and bolt carrier group and barrel and the rest of the parts are Surplus G3. cetme wood for the stocks and G3 FCG modded to semi. Modified the G3 mag catch etc. would be a pain for most but I dig that kind of work.

Get a 3lb ball peen and punch and give it a love tap LOL.

Get a 3lb ball peen and punch and give it a love tap LOL.

I was using a rubber mallet and punch and couldn't budget it. Wonder if that makes a difference? Still managed to whack my hand pretty hard when I was getting frustrated--you'd think a rubber mallet wouldn't hurt, but boy was I wrong.

Back
Top Bottom