MP molds 452-200

pastera

NES Member
Ordered on the 4th, delivered this morning.
Quality is great - didn't find any burrs on the cavities and the venting is superb.
Every nose pin has two retention pins even though you could get away with only one set.
Extra c-clips (Jesus clips if you prefer)

Negative - one retention pins had a slight burr that made it hard to start threading. Cleaned up with almost no effort. Not really a negative but had to put something....

Will follow up when I get time to heat cycle it and start casting
IMG_20200607_132821684_HDR.jpg

Ordered on the 4th, delivered this morning.
Quality is great - didn't find any burrs on the cavities and the venting is superb.
Every nose pin has two retention pins even though you could get away with only one set.
Extra c-clips (Jesus clips if you prefer)

Negative - one retention pins had a slight burr that made it hard to start threading. Cleaned up with almost no effort. Not really a negative but had to put something....

Will follow up when I get time to heat cycle it and start casting
View attachment 363146
Welcome to the sickness! If it wasn’t already mentioned on the website or other threads, you can put the pins in upside down to make flat points.
I did find that lightly polishing the pins I mean really lightly. Like some Buffon compound on a rag while I spun them in a drill Chuck really helped them drop the bullets easily. Prior to that they stuck a little bit.

Mold came with flat, round hollow, and Penta hollow pins.
No need to flip anything - great value.

Just need to look at heat cycling - this is my first brass mold so don't want to warp it.

Aluminum is easy - put it in the toaster oven that I use for HiTek for two or three heat cycles then start casting

Nice! I don’t know if flat was an option when I got mine. I think I’ve only ever made a handful of flats anyway.
Also look into brass black or liver of sulfur. These brass is so clean that you can definitely have issue with tinning. Heat cycling does help create an oxide layer but something like brass black with help a lot more.

Mold came with flat, round hollow, and Penta hollow pins.
No need to flip anything - great value.

Just need to look at heat cycling - this is my first brass mold so don't want to warp it.

Aluminum is easy - put it in the toaster oven that I use for HiTek for two or three heat cycles then start casting
Im sure HP sent instructions but for those that might not know....

Heat cycles it last night and cast up a handful this afternoon.
Took a dozen pours to get up to temp and oil free (I ran out of brake cleaner while cleaning the mold)

Great mold - heavy mold

Checked COAL at the lands for my barrel 1.197" - At that length there is 0.045" less bullet seating than the Lee 452-228-1R.

Now just need to coat a few pounds and work up a load with Silhouette.

Back
Top Bottom