• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving within Massachusetts what should I expect.

I’m moving from the family house to the next town over we are selling the house and not sure when the sale will be completed. Also I am not sure how long we will be staying at the next place but the end destination will be in Massachusetts. What should I expect and how do I go about changing the address on my LTC.
A)Will I have to reapply or be reapproved in the next town
B)Will I need to change my drivers and registration license beforehand
C) Are there any othe hiccups I should be aware of
Thanks

This should have been covered in your LTC class. The answer to each of your questions is "no."

Whenever you move, within 30 days of the move, you send updated info, by certified mail, to three places:
1) FRB
2) your issuing authority
3) the chief of the town you're moving to

GOAL has a sample letter on their website

(Reason for edits - typos and clarification)

Last edited:
Thank you my LTC class was 4 years ago and I couldn’t recall exactly what was said last question after sending all these letters out will I be mailed a new LTC with the correct address or will I have to go pick it up some where

Thank you my LTC class was 4 years ago and I couldn’t recall exactly what was said last question after sending all these letters out will I be mailed a new LTC with the correct address or will I have to go pick it up some where
They do not re-issue for change of name/address. I suggest you put a label on the back with the new address. LTC is good until expiration.

This should have been covered in your LTC class. The answer to each of your questions is "no."

Whenever you move, within 30 days of the move, you send updated info, by certified mail, to three places:
1) FRB

What is the FRB?

I’m moving from the family house to the next town over we are selling the house and not sure when the sale will be completed. Also I am not sure how long we will be staying at the next place but the end destination will be in Massachusetts. What should I expect and how do I go about changing the address on my LTC.
A)Will I have to reapply or be reapproved in the next town
B)Will I need to change my drivers and registration license beforehand
C) Are there any othe hiccups I should be aware of
Thanks
Your post implies (2) moves. Make sure you notify the relevant folks for EACH move, A -> B -> C

Even if B -> C is in the same town.

(ABC does not relate to your A/B/C, OP)

1) FRB

Sample letter?

All you have to do is fill out a form, ain't nobody got time for letters.

What to expect? Nine months of winter and three months of bad skiing!

Actually, climate and politics and aside, there are lots of positives about life in Massachusetts and the broader New England area including great beaches, lots of forests and woodlands in which to roam and explore, and a broadly varied terrain that includes extensive mountainous regions to hike and climb. In many ways it is also a paradise for many outdoor activiities such as camping, fishing and hunting. From a 2A perspective, I think the recent NYSRPA decision may also provide future relief from some of the current restrictions that are on th onerous side. I moved here from New York State 42 years ago and can tell you things here are way more free here than there. It may not be Texas but things could be a lot worse. Good luck with your move!

Last edited:
What he said
Thanks for that link. I’m looking to move also. I’m grateful that @Rpgnir84 started this thread as I too have a bad memory as to what to do.

When you mail the change of address, send it certified with a receipt (whatever USPS calls it) the green paper they sign and send back to you.

Don't freak out if you don't get them all back. I moved 3 times, I should have 9 of those, only have 4 or 5. But, when I buy a gun I use my new address and no issues so the most important, the State, clearly received my change of address.

When you mail the change of address, send it certified with a receipt (whatever USPS calls it) the green paper they sign and send back to you.

Don't freak out if you don't get them all back. I moved 3 times, I should have 9 of those, only have 4 or 5. But, when I buy a gun I use my new address and no issues so the most important, the State, clearly received my change of address.
I've only moved the once. I did regular certified (no return receipt) and just checked the tracking info a couple times then threw out the receipt when they showed as delivered. I've made a couple purchases since then, so obviously everything worked out.

A couple weeks after you mail it you can check whether the state FRB updated their database with your new address. Do a license validation on MIRCS at https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

It will create a PDF that shows you what address the state thinks you are at. If it hasn’t updated yet, you can use the phone number on the form to notify them again. When I moved, a phone call got the change made within 48 hours, even a few weeks after I mailed the notification.

You don’t have to call, but it might simplify things if you are planning on buying a gun soon after you move.

Amazingly the state added an online portal for the LTC address change in addition to the phone #.
Wait, the state keeps a record of your phone number?!?!???

I started to bitch out the town clerk a few years ago when she answered my call saying ‘yes xjma99, what can I do for you’ when she quickly informed me that my name came up on called ID. I did buy her two drinks to apologize. They ain’t that good, yet.

Amazingly the state added an online portal for the LTC address change in addition to the phone #.
If only the law were changed to reflect it...

Back
Top Bottom